Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 17, 2018   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Seed Starting mix

Do you use old open bags of unused starting mix from previous years? I have changed the seed starting mix I use, and ordered more but it hasn't arrived yet. This is the weekend I usually start my seeds. I have a partial open bag of Jiffy organic seed starting mix that is 3 or 4 years old. Not sure it can be considered sterile any more, if it ever was, but it has been kept in the house. Would you use it? Some seeds I do not have a lot of, and I would hate to waste them or have them develop problems from using old mix. But I would like to start at least some seeds this weekend. I used economy free shipping so I may not get the new mix for a full week or maybe even slightly more. I will definitely save Carolyn's seeds for the new mix.

Last edited by SueCT; March 17, 2018 at 06:24 PM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I have had the best results with jiffy seed starter. However being that the bag was partially open and 3 years old, I don't think it's worth the chance. Better safe than sorry.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You can sterilize it in the oven.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #4
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

I've been using up a bag of Jiffy mix from 2016. The bag was clipped shut and stored in the basement. I put the first peppers in it on Feb. 28th (started in paper towels) and started the basil in it directly. So far so good.
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

I always use up old bags and just spray the surface with diluted hydrogen peroxide the moment I notice anything fuzzy...or sooner. Haven't lost anything so far.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #6
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well forget about it. I need to get out and buy some. Guess it will be Jiffy back again this year. Gardener's Supply is now saying the seed starting mix is back ordered until 3/24. It would have been nice if they had a software program that kept track of inventory so that it would tell you before you ordered if there not adequate stocks of an time. Even an email would have been nice. Nadda. Nothing. If I had not gone back to try to track the order and see when it would be here I would not even know. Very unhappy with them right now. When placed the order it said "in stock". I just checked and it still says "In stock". I placed the order 5 days ago. To me this has to be purposeful so people will keep placing orders. If you have not had enough stock to fill an order for 5 days there is no excuse to have not updated your website with that information by now.
Old March 18, 2018   #7
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I was wrong, I was looking at the wrong product, it does say back ordered now. I called, they did never received a shipment they expected so it has been delayed another week. They do not notify customers when that happens they confirmed. So if you buy from them, make sure you check on your order regularly until it ships. At least then you will actually know when there is a problem.

This is getting worse and worse, I see now a note on the bottom of my order page that says they don't usually ship until 12-14 days AFTER the backorder date. So it will like be mid April before I can expect to receive it. They did not even mention that on the phone. Well looks like I won't be using this at all until next year.

Last edited by SueCT; March 18, 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old March 18, 2018   #8
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Sue, I have a number of turkey pans. The size holds a good amount of soil. 350 degrees for 30min - an hour, whenever I get back to it. THen let it cool, of course.

Very easy.

Sorry your shipment will not make it time for this year.......
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I love Amazon, lol. I just ordered Espoma organic seed starting mix, $1.00 more than Garden Supply's organic mix, with free 2 day shipping. It will be here by Weds, my next day off. Even if it doesn't get here until late in the day, I am off Thursday and can plant then without running around to stores to see what Home Depot and Walmart have in stock this year. Usually its only Jiffy or Miracle Grow. I was getting unhappy with the Jiffy mix because of the large sticks and stuff I was finding in it and I starting to have some mold growth and decided to try something different. I read great reviews about the Garden Supply mix and tried it last year and really liked it. I hope the Espoma that gets good reviews on Amazon is as good. Does anyone use the Pro Mix? I was looking at that on Amazon as well but it was more than double the price of the GS mix I was using. I was wondering what you pay if you do use it. On Amazon it is 19.90 for an 8 qt bag. The Espoma is 13.93, and the Garden Supply is 12.95 for 6 qts of the organic or 8.95 for 9 qts of the Regular. Those are some big price differences. I was using the Garden Supply regular so Pro Mix organic would be more than double the price when you consider the amount you are getting.
Old March 18, 2018   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I just use Miracle-Gro seed-starting potting mix. I hate everything else Miracle-Gro but I do swear by their seed starting potting mix. It's around 5 bucks for an 8 quart bag. It is not organic, I'm not sure I care. LOL
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #11
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I don't recall ever throwing away seed starting mix. I always store it in a dry location, but never gave any thought to throwing any out.

My stuff always seems to germinate.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #12
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I had a 1/2 of a bag of Jiffy seed starter mix left over from last year, I used it to start my seeds this year 20 out of 20 germinate No problem with anything
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #13
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am going to start the seeds i have a lot of in the old mix and then use the new mix for everything else when it comes. Just in case. But I suspect it would be fine. But Wow, 20.00 a bag for the pro mix brand. Yikes.
Old March 19, 2018   #14
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I am going to start the seeds i have a lot of in the old mix and then use the new mix for everything else when it comes. Just in case. But I suspect it would be fine. But Wow, 20.00 a bag for the pro mix brand. Yikes.
That seems expensive, but I'm not sure of the exact Pro-Mix product or its size. If it is the organic seed starting mix, this is decent price (though you'll have to purchase it online, have it sent to the nearest location, and pick it up yourself): https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...4451345240.htm
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #15
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

That is a great buy, but since the nearest Menards is more than a 9 hour drive away, I think I will pass. Not sure, but it also looks like potting mix, not seed starting mix, esp. given the size. Thanks for trying.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Horti...d+starting+mix