Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 15, 2017   #31
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Ship live plant material and disease hitchikes along.
Its not only tomato, the forests get hit hard too and the change is generational. Big changes.
American chestnut, elms, gone from an imported fungus.
Birch trees here dying by the millions from an invasive caterpillar, they have introduced a predator to eat the caterpillar, maybe it will work or not, but too late for many of our white birch.
Forester came to look at my pines, they are.all weeping sap from the bole in the canopy. They dont even know what causes it its all over NH, 50 years in, the pines are useless as sawlogs.
Hemlocks are.all.dying from wooly adelgid from asia.
Beech are all dying from a combo of sucking insects and fungus.
Bums me out.
Ash trees in my area are being devastated by the Emerald ash borer. We saw it in the news a couple of years ago and now there are hundreds of thousands of dead ash trees around here.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #32
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking about the Emerald Ash Borer yesterday when I saw a bunch of dead Ash trees.

What will this beetle do when the Ash trees are all dead? Will it adapt and start on other trees or (hopefully) die out in our area?
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Interesting comments. Waiting to hear from Carolyn.
And I couldn't remember where this thread was ,just found it,and haven't been back to answer but will do when I have time.

Carolyn
Old May 15, 2017   #34
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Ash trees in my area are being devastated by the Emerald ash borer. We saw it in the news a couple of years ago and now there are hundreds of thousands of dead ash trees around here.
In Hamilton, Ontario most ash trees have been removed.

"In 2012 City Council approved the plan which included the removal of 10% of Hamilton’s Ash tree population each year for a 10 year period. At the current decline rate, it is anticipated the Ash population may be removed in the next four years. Each Ash tree that is removed is replaced with a new species of tree to help diversify Hamilton's urban forest. More information on the Street Tree Planting Program.

The City has also been using injectable pesticide on healthy Ash trees of significance. These trees are treated annually during periods of heavy infestation then subsequently every two years. Treating all City-owned Ash trees is not economically feasible. "
https://www.hamilton.ca/home-propert...rald-ash-borer
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #35
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

fighting blight on two plants after deluge, but I have left several volunteer plants be this year and they seem unaffected w/o any tending or pruning. just an observation that seems consistent over the years - volunteer plants aren't nearly as big as transplants, but seem to be more in "synch" with the natural rhythm of things. Could be wrong tho....

I always seem to get in a big rush to get big transplants, put them out probably too early, they get battered and splattered by early spring torrents and sometimes suffer the consequences. This year I have realized that the TTC (texas tomato cage) offers no support for the early transplants, and have started to use the "worthless" cones as inserts to help with the strong winds in early spring. Double cage design seems to be working well. The twisted plants are growing nicely (but funky) and look to be alright.

1c
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of dead trees, this lunatic did just six months for the tree crime of the century:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...-updyke-112615
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #37
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Speaking of dead trees, this lunatic did just six months for the tree crime of the century:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...-updyke-112615
I remember when that happened . I was horrified and deeply saddened that someone could do such a thing. I went to the spot in sequoia park where loggers cut down the largest trees in the world in the 1890s. Made me sick! After they cut them they realized they couldn't process them because of their size or something. Idiots! I don't understand how you see something that awesome and want to kill it. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #38
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of the poisoning of the Treaty Oak in Austin in 1989. It is the last survivor of the magnificent grove of live oaks that was sacred to the indians, and under which Stephen Austin signed the first treaty between whites and indians in Texas. The 500 year old tree survived, though reduced to about 1/3 its size. At the end of millennium it began producing acorns again, and seedlings are now in demand.

The crime was even more senseless. This guy was a drug addict that was POd at the state for making him plant trees for a previous crime. He served three of a nine year sentence. Many of us believe that he should have been hung from the Treaty Oak.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a piece of that tree somewhere.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #40
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I know that bexar co. (san anton) is having problems with oak wilt killing the old oak trees there in great numbers.

not sure if you guys up in Austin area are having same problem...
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And I couldn't remember where this thread was ,just found it,and haven't been back to answer but will do when I have time.

Carolyn
I thank all for posting,I learned a lot, but if you go back up to my initial post I was asking about tomato diseases and what happened when there were almost none in the 40's but when I moved back East from Denver in 1982 it was a very different scene.

It was Worth who got very close to what I'm thinking when he posted this

(In real life a virus will evolve to not outright kill a person fast.
It does the virus no good to kill the host before it can spread to others)

And I'll extend that to other tomato diseases beyond just viruses to fungal and bacterial and viroid and parasitic infections as well.

Let's start with what became known as Fusarium and some history.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp121

As you scroll down,note that Late Blight as we know the name now as P infestans, was first Ided in the 1840's and I have to mention that that's very different from Early Blight,Alternaria solani, which can appear either early or late in the season.P. infestans is systemic and almost always lethal,and from the time the first symptoms are seen in just a matter of days the plants will be a mass of black stinking tissue. And it's hard to distinguish the symptoms of P.infestans from Grey Mold as well.

Scroll down some more until you come to Fusarium and note that it was first found in tomato fields in FL in 1899.

These days if you look at the notations next to a variety you can see F,FF,or FFF meaning 3 different races of Fusarium. So the first one mutated to the 2 nd FF, and only within the last decade or so did did the second one mutate to the third,noted by FFF.

So there are 3 races and no X protection so if you don't know which races exist where you are you are wrong to buy a variety that has just F.

As Worth noted,my words now,no pathogen wants to kill a host which then prevents transmission,so as such diseases have evolved they have found ways to ensure that that doesn't happen.And if you think I'm going to talk about the evolution/creation,you are very wrong since some Gobal Mod will warn me about that and I could be banned befor even being warned.

A strong parallel exists with human diseases, which I'm going to mention now and in my professional life my strong area of interest was human diseases and the immune response,and I did research and taught med students at two Medical Schools,U of Rochester in Rochester,NY and U of Colorado in Denver.

In both cases plant and human,you first need a susceptible host,which is important since some pathogens infect only the youngest,as in pediatric diseases, and some primarily the older hosts such as cancer where normal cells mutate to cancer cells, I could say more about that but won't.

I think perhaps one of the best ways to explain this is to describe what happened to me in the past couple of weeks and why I hadn't been here at Tville at all for several days at a time. It was known that a viral illness was affecting many where I live,especially at the local K thru12 school.Both ladies who help me out here at home since I'm now homebound insisted that I should call the rescue squad and get myself to the hospital,I won't go into the symptoms,not that relavent,but wicked.

I called Pat at the health center and explained what was going on and that one of the ladies said it wasn't her who brought the virus here,she's the school crossing guard (note that there are several others in here each day such as Ed,Meals on Wheels,and USPS delivery and sometimes UPS as well),Pat is the lead RN at the Salem Health center. Pat said no way,since a person can be infected but show no symptoms and can yet pass that infection to others by aerosol droplets.Sounding familiar? She gave me her suggestions,which were excellent and said lots of bed rest since she said you are elderly,DUH,a diabetic and have other med problems as well.

I than had to call the school RN,since it's her DH who gets my meds from Rite Aid and I was almost out of insulin.I thought Jim would answer but it was Sheryl who did and she agreed completely with what Pat had said from what she was seeing as the school nurse.

I was going to use the example of nematode breaking strains,but enough is enough.

Summary?

Whether it be tomatoes or humans ,genes are changing all the time,aka DNA,nothing is static and never will be,so what I saw in the 40's was so different in the early 80's was,IMO,a reflection of continued mutations, and also the fact that any pathogen is stupid to kill a host b/c it's RIP for that pathogen if it can't transmit itself.

Carolyn