Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 9, 2017   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Emulsion and its role in Disease Supression

Wasn't aware that fish emulsion helped with soil borne disease, but happy to see it because it's the only fertilizer I use other than all the other organic stuff (Leaves, wood ash, pine needles, compost, etc.)

Detection of High Concentrations of Organic Acids in Fish Emulsion and Their Role in Pathogen or Disease Suppression

Fish emulsion (FE) added to a sandy-loam soil at 1 and 2% rates reduced the viability of Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia by 39 and 74% in 1 day, 87 and 98% in 3 days, and 95 and 99% in 6 days, respectively.

http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/ab...HYTO-99-3-0274
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Fish Emulsion also shown to prevent damping off in young seedlings

If you've ever started seeds, you've undoubtedly experienced having seedlings suddenly keel over at the soil line. This condition, called damping off, is typically caused by two different fungi: Pythium and Rhizoctonia. Researchers with Agri Food Canada have found that fish emulsion can be an effective preventative.

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/2267/
Old April 9, 2017   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Check out aggrand ferts,made from freshwater menhaden and other goodies.
Old April 10, 2017   #4
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a great product and I am very familiar with the menhaden fish.Sometimes an osprey (sea eagle) will drop one in my yard on her way back to the nest.Most scientists agree that the menhaden is the most important fish in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Menhaden, also known as mossbunker and bunker, are forage fish of the genera Brevoortia and Ethmidium, two genera of marine fish in the family Clupeidae. Menhaden is a blend of poghaden and an Algonquian word akin to Narragansett munnawhatteaûg, derived from munnohquohteau ‘he fertilizes', referring to their use of the fish use as fertilizer. It is generally thought that Pilgrims were advised by Tisquantum to plant menhaden with their crops.

And the formula made the guy in the link "The Tomato King of Texas"

http://www.aggrand.com/dealer/testim...toes_test.aspx
Old April 10, 2017   #5
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Looks like a great product and I am very familiar with the menhaden fish.Sometimes an osprey (sea eagle) will drop one in my yard on her way back to the nest.Most scientists agree that the menhaden is the most important fish in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Menhaden, also known as mossbunker and bunker, are forage fish of the genera Brevoortia and Ethmidium, two genera of marine fish in the family Clupeidae. Menhaden is a blend of poghaden and an Algonquian word akin to Narragansett munnawhatteaûg, derived from munnohquohteau ‘he fertilizes', referring to their use of the fish use as fertilizer. It is generally thought that Pilgrims were advised by Tisquantum to plant menhaden with their crops.

And the formula made the guy in the link "The Tomato King of Texas"

http://www.aggrand.com/dealer/testim...toes_test.aspx
Seaeagle, when I plant out the seedlings can I put some in the bottom of the hole. Will that work and help keep the stink down.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #6
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Seaeagle, when I plant out the seedlings can I put some in the bottom of the hole. Will that work and help keep the stink down.. Jimbo
Yeah I guess you could do that but if you do it right before it rains from the top there will be little or no smell.But one time we had a whole line of thunderstorms coming and I put it on and they just fell apart before they got here.Then it got hot and it stunk real bad for almost a week and all the dogs from da hood paid a visit.

Tags
fish emulsion