Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 12, 2016   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
What's it cost?
What do you do when the wind stops?
Prices vary from 400 to over 700 bucks and then when the wind stops you are juiced and have to convert back to solar.

But in a weeks time you would hope it would put out enough power to recharge the battery.
The minimum for a 400 watt generator is a 100 amp hour 12 volt battery.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #32
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I do the math a little differently. I prefer watts because a 104 watt pump is 104 watts no matter the source voltage. For example your 104 watt pump draws .9 amps from 120 volts but it draws about 8.7 amps from a 12 volt battery.

Drawing a lead acid battery all the way down can significantly reduce the life. 50% is the sweet spot for deep cycle and I would not go below 80% on a regular basis. Designing for 50% your 100 amp-hr battery holds 600 watt-hrs (100x12/2)of useable juice. A 104 watt pump would run for about five hours(600/104). Two 104 watt pumps would run 150 minutes. That works out to a little over six days at 24 minutes per day.

I would plan on charging once a week for a deep cycle battery. If using an automotive starting battery charge twice a week.

The calcs are about the same for 104 watt DC. DC pumps may cost a little more and you may have to change brushes. However you save the cost of an inverter.

You may have trouble with your existing inverter with two AC pumps when you consider pump starting surge.

Last edited by zeuspaul; March 12, 2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added: at 24 minutes per day
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just looked at a deep cycle battery almost just like the one he has and it will run 5 amps for almost 20 hours.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m...rine/deepcycle
Old March 12, 2016   #34
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

The pumps would be timed to not run at the same time regardless if I do AC or DC.

But I am now confused on daily usage in relation to my battery to run 2 pumps for 24 or 30 mins per day.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The pumps would be timed to not run at the same time regardless if I do AC or DC.

But I am now confused on daily usage in relation to my battery to run 2 pumps for 24 or 30 mins per day.
Running them 24 minutes will take off 84 minutes a week or one hour and 24 minutes.
Old March 12, 2016   #36
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Running them 24 minutes will take off 84 minutes a week or one hour and 24 minutes.
And we're starting at 100?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And we're starting at 100?
100 amp hours or hours of use.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Xa4-WhwP1rOgDw