Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 14, 2017   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breeze View Post
Ladybugs fly away.
not if they have a food source. and they need a bug friendly environment. if you are doing organic then you should also be planting a insect blend of flowering plants in a row to support them.
Old May 14, 2017   #17
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Sooooo, I won't get good results with what I have?
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #18
jillian
Tomatovillian™

No you will not. It is just oil and diluted additives with very little azadirachtin. Sorry to disappoint. I used what you have in the beginning and wondered why it didn't work. Again, you need pure cold pressed neem oil, 100 percent.

Can you return it? I would get my money back and order the good stuff
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #19
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have both. The Safe is an older bottle, the Dyna-Grow is new this past Fall. They both
suffocate on contact. In a very short time, a few hours, i can see shriveled dehydrated
aphids. Much prefer the Dyna Neem. I like the control of mixing my own with pure
castle soap.
The Safe brand does not list the other ingredients, almost 30%. Could probably find out
but i've switched to Dyna. I keep the Safe brand in the garden shed and might use it up
on the fruit trees if needed.

In combination with YellowStickyTraps, food grade DE, you get the trio to wipe them out
or seriously decrease the numbers. The trio seems to attack all life stages.

Sticky traps let you know how well you are doing by a visual maintenance. Takes care of
some of the adult population but not all. DE seems to only be effective on the soft
bodied nymph stage. Neem does its thing on all other stages, and the most obvious as
you can literally watch it work. -DE is super for slugs.

My numbers are way down. Caught 2 on my fresh sticky trap in an entire week and
inspected all my peppers and found one cluster of nymphs that i sprayed.

If unopened i would return it but use it if you have it. It will give you a head start. Like i
mentioned, it will work but not as effective as pure Neem.

Last edited by oakley; May 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #20
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Monterrey 70% Neem oil for 3 years. I find it effective. I tried Dyna Gro and got poor results. I mix the Monterrey 70% Neem with BT (for hornworms) and DE and spray all at once. I got a 9 Gallon power sprayer (I have 150 plants) and It works great for me, but I have to be consistent, spraying every week. After a couple of weeks I don't have to add the BT except for monthly. My area is plagued with spider mites so I have to fight them constantly.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #21
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I just purchased this last week from ebay. $8.99 for 8oz w/free shipping. Got it in 3 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111453862515...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old May 14, 2017   #22
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I believe various results are directly related to paying attention and catching troubles
early. Or if every year problems are inevitable, be pro-active and use your preferred methods
early. Sometimes the damage is done before noticing. Leaf sucking critters take sometimes a week
to show any damage.

I sprayed my mix of fermented garlic and hot pepper, mixed with DE two months ago all around
the base of our home to keep out the army of ants we used to get every spring...and a prayer that
it helps with some other unwanted pests. I have two aggressive sprayers that will not clog DE.
I mix a big batch and hit most of the yard edge forest. I don't believe DE is less effective wet as some do.
It does not dissolve in water as we know from 'flour-dry'. Just disappears into the soil from wash-out.
Re-applying as a top dressing is recommended.

When the aphids hit my peppers seedlings, micro sunflowers, and the asparagus seedlings
all at once, i used avocado oil and castile soap immediately, and made DIY sticky traps and
vinegar/soap traps.
After first taking all plants to the sink for a dip/water bath. I needed an immediate head start
to start the battle right away. Obviously not possible for the garden plants.

Beneficial Nematodes tonight. Everywhere. Had all day rain yesterday. I do this once a year and keeps
lots of early hatches down. Or may be just a prayer. But i see fewer ticks every year to almost none.
-I live in a forest.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #23
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Avocado oil? Could you elaborate?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #24
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
No you will not. It is just oil and diluted additives with very little azadirachtin. Sorry to disappoint. I used what you have in the beginning and wondered why it didn't work. Again, you need pure cold pressed neem oil, 100 percent.

Can you return it? I would get my money back and order the good stuff
I agree, I had to cut off numerous stems on all my tomato plants last week after witching the use of both neem and then changing over to daconil. After spraying with daconil I had no problems with fungus after rain. This other stuff was the last used before a very tiny amount of rain and I had fungus everywhere. I just ordered the real stuff, wish I could take back the junk neem.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 14, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #25
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

The thing I like about Neem is that I can spray it once every couple weeks and prevent a lot of insect damage being it will kill chewing insects and disrupt their life cycle. I use it as a preventative. Also much friendlier on the beneficial insects than normal insecticides because it doesn't normally harm them after its dry, as it has to be ingested at that point. So spraying late evening or early morning when the bees are not out, and hitting the leaves only are good practices.

BT is great for worms and I use it on the sweet corn. I let the parasitic wasps get the Horn Worms.

Salsacharley, I've never had an issue with the Dyna Grow. What were the poor results you experienced? Wonder if it was old or a bad batch?
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #26
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

I have used the gardensafe brand and it works fine. It is all that's available locally and I prefer to support the mom and pop stores when possible. However lady's work best for me. They stay and are well fed and other beneficial bugs show up too. I agree with the advice about beneficial bugs if you are trying organic. Makes life much easier. I also use the garden safe neem on all my house plants as a preventive and I have no issues with mites even on mite susceptible plants.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote