Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 11, 2017   #16
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Found one leaf on my plant with beginnings of brown. Has to be spider mites or thrips. Will treat immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170511_105409_001-600x600.jpg (63.2 KB, 35 views)
NewbieGrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #17
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Examined friend's plant. Many leaves with brown mottled look. Cut off all bad leaves, removing a few entire lower limbs. None of leaves near blossoms involved. I did not find any little spider webs under leaves but did find a row of little crystal-like deposits on underside of a few leaves at central vein.

Then sprayed with insecticidal soap. There were several dozen 1/3" green tomatoes. Will watch closely and spray again in 7 days (or sooner if needed).
Old May 11, 2017   #18
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

People on Garden Mama Facebook (Deep South gardening) are posting pics of their tomato plants that look just like my friends and mine. We had hailstrom, drenching rain and then 2 days later a very dry 60 mph wind (all happened last week). The wind stirred up the thrips in soil and blew everywhere. So many tomato plants in Southern states now showing leaf damage from thrips.