Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 4, 2017   #1
FrankJD
Tomatovillian™

Default Can anyone recognize this?

We have many kinds of tomatoes started and many of them have begun to wilt and curl. Some of the leaves are very papery. We have started fertilizing for potassium deficiency. None of the diseases we have seen seem quite right. Does anyone know what this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120221.jpg (260.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120233.jpg (271.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120242.jpg (284.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120321.jpg (460.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120344.jpg (285.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120351.jpg (246.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_120429.jpg (259.4 KB, 82 views)
FrankJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #2
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of "Clue" the board game, Col. Mustard in the Library with what ever....I wasn't any better at that game than I am at this. Just from my experience...maybe over wet potting mix with unbalanced fert and could use more light.???
The 5th pic shows classic / normal P shortage plus some bumps that could be edema from over wet. That last pic reminds me of a Mg shortage I got in a batch that were in pots too long between feedings. I would tip one out of the pot to confirm the moisture and root condition. If OK, would water with a little 1/2 strength MG Tomato or Bloom Boost (for the P and Mg) or spray them as foliar feed instead. If the potting mix is soggy with hardly any roots, would repot in dry mix and water with care.
Old May 8, 2017   #3
FrankJD
Tomatovillian™

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for the response. I hope you are right as I was ready to ditch 1/2 of this year's crop. Was a little concerned that the problem was centralized in one areas, this was also an area of lower light....

Will try some of that.

Thanks again.
Old May 8, 2017   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Agree with decherdt, either too wet or too dry. The purple undersides of the leaves is common with seedlings. If they are outside, maybe sun damage.
Old May 8, 2017   #5
FrankJD
Tomatovillian™

Default Makes sense, thank you

I think that makes a lot sense. The plants that had it go through were furthest from the grow lights. They were definitely wetter than we should be. Based on all that, we clipped them back and are going to keep them all. Still keeping them away from the other plants until 100% sure....

Thank you (both of you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Reminds me of "Clue" the board game, Col. Mustard in the Library with what ever....I wasn't any better at that game than I am at this. Just from my experience...maybe over wet potting mix with unbalanced fert and could use more light.???
The 5th pic shows classic / normal P shortage plus some bumps that could be edema from over wet. That last pic reminds me of a Mg shortage I got in a batch that were in pots too long between feedings. I would tip one out of the pot to confirm the moisture and root condition. If OK, would water with a little 1/2 strength MG Tomato or Bloom Boost (for the P and Mg) or spray them as foliar feed instead. If the potting mix is soggy with hardly any roots, would repot in dry mix and water with care.