Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2017   #211
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I have never been in a hurricane either and I know I don't want to. I am thankful our T'Ville family has apparently made it through with what I would think is minimal damage.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #212
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very relieved the worst is over for you and the damage is manageable in your yard Marsha!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #213
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to everyone for all the outpouring of love and concern. We seem to be the only ones who do have power amongst our friends here, do I invited them all to come by and cool off if they want.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #214
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, very relieved all that has passed. Now a big clean-up.
Lost contact with my sister and no word yet how her home held
up. Hoping for the best but I'm sure she is ok.

My crystal ball sees a SNL skit with Melissa McCarthy playing a
reporter wearing a bungie harness in strong wind being pummeled
by debris...nothing funny about survivors and what they are going
through but the reporting was over the top.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #215
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I'll tell you what I find over the top. Seeing video of looters leaving stores with stacks of boxed sneakers that they are stealing! I guess that I can't expect criminals and low life to respect that people are already suffering and leave them alone but it is just sickening!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #216
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

My little area of the world sent 40 lineman and 10 trucks towards Florida yesterday morning to help our friends in Florida restore power. They didn't know what area, but they are showing up to work and see where they get sent. I am sure this is happening all across the country, so hang on Florida, help is on the way!
Old September 11, 2017   #217
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I'll tell you what I find over the top. Seeing video of looters leaving stores with stacks of boxed sneakers that they are stealing! I guess that I can't expect criminals and low life to respect that people are already suffering and leave them alone but it is just sickening!
I agree, few things anger me more. Shoot on sight comes to mind as a deterent and rehab all in a simple brass casing.
Old September 11, 2017   #218
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Power was restored to my street in Indialantic, FL this AM, so I think the outage was < 12 hours.

I can't call my home phone so I'm pretty sure Cable / Brighthouse/ Sprectrum is out, same as with Hurricane Mathew, power but no internet, etc
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #219
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

This is one of the better Irma stories I've seen on TV so far.

https://youtu.be/L3f7_y9UPh4
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #220
bower
Tomatovillian™

My cousin in Fort Myers made it through okay too. No flooding in her home, thank goodness.

Worried about KayRobbins though, I hear the flooding in Jacksonville has been epic.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #221
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had the television on for about two minutes early this morning. I had just woke up and turned on the tv while making coffee. I hear them saying 25% of the orange crop is gone, there's a SUV or truck washed up on a beach, so many people without water and electricity, people not being allowed into Miami until... I turned off the television. I wasn't awake enough yet.

My heart goes out for all of you in Florida and those in south Texas that the hurricanes have damaged and ruined so much property, housing, vehicles, and lives lost. I wish I could help all of you.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #222
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I had the television on for about two minutes early this morning. I had just woke up and turned on the tv while making coffee. I hear them saying 25% of the orange crop is gone, there's a SUV or truck washed up on a beach, so many people without water and electricity, people not being allowed into Miami until... I turned off the television. I wasn't awake enough yet.

My heart goes out for all of you in Florida and those in south Texas that the hurricanes have damaged and ruined so much property, housing, vehicles, and lives lost. I wish I could help all of you.
Thank you for your compassion Robert, but you just take care of yourself that alone is a full-time job lol.
Old September 12, 2017   #223
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

Everything here is OK. A huge "Thank you Jesus". Our buildings (Mobile home, barn, shed and pump house are just fine. It didn't even peel the plastic off the greenhouse! Even the shark came thru OK. We just got power restored, so we are back to normal. Very blessed. The eye went right over Bonson about 3:00am. We took the dogs out to do their thing. I told my wife (who had never been thru a hurricane and was very anxious) that the last time I was inside the eye of a hurricane was back in the 60's in Miami where I grew up. Very eerie to look up and see the stars - while you KNOW you are indie a heap of trouble.

Good luck to everyone else and those who are stuck in the gas lines, please keep calm.

49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #224
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I left for Ohio before the storm hit. My brother sent photos of the house, I have some cleaning up and repairing to do, but fortunately the car or windows weren't damaged.

Meanwhile in Ohio, my sister in law have some plants going. They're not even experienced gardener, just stuck the plants in the ground and neglected them and this is what they get. Had to do some pruning and fertilizing for them, but I have a feeling gardeners up here have it much easier going for them. I guess it's worth of price of getting your butts freeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170911_113312668_HDR.jpg (558.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170911_115630353_HDR.jpg (689.3 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; September 12, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #225
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Those look very nice, Max.