Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 10, 2017   #196
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Hoping that Irma doesn't live up to expectations! Thoughts and prayers for all.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #197
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear you have minimal damage, Marsha.I hope the storm is as kind to the others to the north/ west of you.

My sole hurricane experience was back in the mid-80's, in of all places, Massachusetts . It was a Cat 1, but warning was given several days beforehand. Communications was much more primitive then. I thought the worst of the hurricane was yet to come, but the radio announced the eye had passed.

I hope the storm hitting the northern population centers at night does not cause any other foolish traffic accidents.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #198
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Glad to hear you have minimal damage, Marsha.I hope the storm is as kind to the others to the north/ west of you.

My sole hurricane experience was back in the mid-80's, in of all places, Massachusetts . It was a Cat 1, but warning was given several days beforehand. Communications was much more primitive then. I thought the worst of the hurricane was yet to come, but the radio announced the eye had passed.

I hope the storm hitting the northern population centers at night does not cause any other foolish traffic accidents.

- Lisa

Gloria, I take it? We lived just outside of Boston then and it was pretty scary because we had no idea what to expect from it.

When Bob came some years later, we lived more inland and further north, so it wasn't as bad. Irene was the last one to make it up here and I think it caused more destruction in VT than anywhere else.

Compared to some of the blizzards and crippling ice storms we've had, our hurricane events thankfully haven't been that bad up here.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #199
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for posting, Marsha.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #200
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

It was 1984-1986 time frame. I had just graduated. I was working in Natick, MA at the Army Research and Development Center, and my mom was visiting. I wanted her to go home but she insisted on staying with me thru the storm. The eye went straight north thru Worcester, avoiding Boston proper, so I was in the middleish of the bands.

I lived on the second floor in an apartment complex. Everyone at work urged me to stay on base till the storm passed, especially one worker who had built the complex. I had my mother back home and she had no military ID to get on base. After the eye past with minimal fanfare, the lights went out. We stayed home that night with one flashlight and a small radio and snack food. Little did we know that the town one over had never lost power and we could have been in a motel with food and lights for a few days.

Hope everyone can get to a place with some relief.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #201
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The weather channel is almost to the point of beating a dead horse.
Soon they will have a wind machine set up and squirting the reporters with a garden hose.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #202
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Morning update. Took the dog out this morning and surveyed the damage in the yard we've had a lot of tree damage a few limbs down lots of trees don't have much in the way of leaves, lost all of my star fruits off the tree but the tree itself is still okay. In the front are tabebuia is down over our driveway and we're going to try and pick it up and tie it to the neighbors oak tree because they will come back if they're stood up again. Never lost power except for 45 minutes last evening. So all-in-all really not too bad. Now today we've got a lot of work ahead of us to start cleaning up and putting everything back to normal taking down shutters et cetera.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #203
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My cousins live in St Pete and it looks like the storm was so much weaker by the time it got up there that she probably hasn't got it too badly off either but I worry about her because she lives right on the water. She did a evacuate Inland to her mother's house, I know they lost power.
Old September 11, 2017   #204
charline
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the update. I am really happy that you are ok and your house too. If its just some trees down, thats acceptable for such a storm...
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #205
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

So glad to hear that all is well chez Marsha

Of course we were glued to the news yesterday and it's pretty funny the lengths to which they will go to dramatize everything.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #206
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The damage in East Central Florida (Brevard County) seems to be really bad. I live on a barrier island but am in Tennessee. We had boarded up before we came here on Sept 1.

Our utiities are underground, but power went out at 9 PM last night due to snapping of the utiities poles on the main road.

My neighbor did an accessment of our exterior property and know we lost our solar panels. What I don't know is how much of the roof was ripped off with them.

We have a community facebook page which has been updated by neighbors. Seems like a lot of tornados. The wind and rain was relentless for over 12 hours. I think over a foot of rain.

All the shallow rooted trees were uprooted last year with Hurricane Mathew. According to my neighbors, Irma was much worse b/c of the duration of it.

I don't think we will go back until we have power.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #207
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

FYI!!!

Gasbuddy has an app for finding gas, you can use a computer too. Here's the site.

http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?q=plantation%20florida
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #208
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We took our dog for a walk around the neighborhood this morning lot of down trees and lots and lots of Limbs blocking the roadways. Of course the one time that we go out without checking the weather and they were feeder bands so we got soaked soaked soaked!
Now to start all the work on cleaning up the yard.
Old September 11, 2017   #209
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Singing in the rain huh?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #210
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm glad to read that you all are okay. I can't imagine what it's like being in a hurricane. I'm still thinking of you all.

This morning, local FOX talked about the tornado damage near/in Orlando, and damage like what Marsha and Barb wrote about all over the state. Irma is so large that we will have cloud cover from it here in North Central Texas tomorrow - no rain.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote