Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 26, 2016   #31
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I've gone back and forth on my tentative list. I need more dirt!

I've got a combination of earthboxes and two 4x4 raised beds available this year. I've got seeds for many more heirlooms than I have space for, and I am having trouble finding the sweet spot between trying new varieties and replanting favorites I know will produce. We also tend to have issues with lack of heat until September and powdery mildew, though I have had great success with some hybrids like Granadero. So now I am having the same dilemma wrt hybrids vs heirloom.

I was going to grow Jaune Flamme because it has done so well for me in the past. I tried Isis Candy last year in a failed attempt to branch out, and was bitterly disappointed. I am considering SunGold this year because everyone raves about it. I also want to try Big Beef for the same reason.

Decisions, decisions! Perhaps I should refine down to a pick from list and post it to get suggestions?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #32
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

You should 100% grow Sungold. I forgot that one on my list actually. It is a great producer and the flavor is one of the best you will find. Big Beef is reliable and good for a hybrid red. I have had trouble myself narrowing it down but I am trying to do 50% Reliable hybrids, 25% reliable heirlooms, 25% new varieties. Of course that is a base and I typically change it at the last minute. I also grow to sell, if I didn't I'd flip the hybrids/heirlooms percentage.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #33
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
I've gone back and forth on my tentative list. I need more dirt!

I've got a combination of earthboxes and two 4x4 raised beds available this year. I've got seeds for many more heirlooms than I have space for, and I am having trouble finding the sweet spot between trying new varieties and replanting favorites I know will produce. We also tend to have issues with lack of heat until September and powdery mildew, though I have had great success with some hybrids like Granadero. So now I am having the same dilemma wrt hybrids vs heirloom.

I was going to grow Jaune Flamme because it has done so well for me in the past. I tried Isis Candy last year in a failed attempt to branch out, and was bitterly disappointed. I am considering SunGold this year because everyone raves about it. I also want to try Big Beef for the same reason.

Decisions, decisions! Perhaps I should refine down to a pick from list and post it to get suggestions?
I am considering building another raised bed as I want to try more variety's. Course after fighting leaf disease last year I wonder if I should cut back on the number of plants and focus on maintenance instead of more plants. How many plants do you plan to grow with your current setup.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #34
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

OK, need some advice from those who are in the know and have grown them:

Mennonite Orange or Brandywine Platfoot?
Dwarf Sweet Sue or Loxton Lad?
Old November 27, 2016   #35
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I tried the striped German this year .its very sweet but really good! Was looking at the platfoot for this year . Maybe someone who's grown these can chime in . Good luck luck Josephine Rose.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #36
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Scarlet Dwarf or Rosella Crimson?

These are the questions that try my soul!
Old November 27, 2016   #37
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Started my seeds today, multiples of most:
--prue
--costuluto friorino
--allerbest
--black & brown boar
Already planted out: black krim and my own volunteer a few generations in, it has impressive heat tolerance/hardiness and tastes amazing roasted

Peppers:
--Bahamian goat
--aji jobito
--dulce de espana
--baklouti
Peppers are perennial for me, I've got 11 around the yard right now, still producing. Favorite is currently shattah, a Palestinian chile, with an impressive heat tolerance.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #38
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Moving during the summer really limited my growing in 2016 but for 2017 I will be growing out the True North series now at F5, the Karmas will be at f4 after Marsha's current season and Gerd from Belgium generously sent me seed for a number of Belgian tomatoes, -all new to me -that I am dying to grow out in tribute to my own Belgian heritage
kiekenvilla -1995
Hertog Jan -2009
Potager de Vilvoorde - 1900
Belgium giant
Gloire de Malines -1920
Tommelet
Rouge du gaud -1920
Triumphe de Liege- 1940
Clementine blue - 2012 new
Big Arrow 1980

Looking forward to trying these and saving seed. Perhaps next year's mmm swap will get a Bunch of Belgium bonuses if all goes well.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; November 27, 2016 at 07:08 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #39
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sweet Scarlet Dwarf or Rosella Crimson?

These are the questions that try my soul!
I grew both varieties two years ago. All the Dwarfs tasted good, but I thought that Dwarf Rosella Purple was more tasty than Dwarf Rosella Crimson. If you like tomatoes with a ZING, you will love Sweet Scarlett Dwarf.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Moving during the summer really limited my growing in 2016 but for 2017 I will be growing out the True North series now at F5, the Karmas will be at f4 after Marsha's current season and Gerd from Belgium generously sent me seed for a number of Belgian tomatoes, -all new to me -that I am dying to grow out in tribute to my own Belgian heritage
kiekenvilla -1995
Hertog Jan -2009
Potager de Vilvoorde - 1900
Belgium giant
Gloire de Malines -1920
Tommelet
Rouge du gaud -1920
Triumphe de Liege- 1940
Clementine blue - 2012 new
Big Arrow 1980

Looking forward to trying these and saving seed. Perhaps next year's mmm swap will get a Bunch of Belgium bonuses if all goes well.
KarenO
I am curious about the "Hertog Jan" (Duke John) tomato. Hertog Jan is a 3-star Michelin restaurant in Bruges, with their own farm/garden.

Can you tell me if this tomato was selected in their gardens and/or if it was developed for the restaurant?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2016   #41
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Tentative list:
Amish Paste - a must have every year, so far the best tasting tomato I've ever grown.
Russian 117
Príncipe Borghese
Esterina
Jaune Flamme

I want to try another sweet cherry/grape type and I'm torn between Sunsugar, which I grew last year with success, or trying one of the new high brix series from J&L, or Medovaya Kaplya.

What do you suggest?
Are the Esterina and Sunsugar so similar that I should choose one or the other?
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2016   #42
tash11
Tomatovillian™

I am trying really hard to wait until my trades come in before I settle on a list.

I think I might try Ambrosia Red for my MIL. I always start her a red cherry. She thought Hundreds and Thousands was too small though.

And my dad likes a larger slicer/beefsteak. Last year he said he had trouble telling when GGWT was ripe so I might do just red/pink this year. Maybe Van Wert Ohio. Probably one of the Brandywines too....

My 'avid indoorswoman' friend will be given a red slicer of some kind. Will need to be a dwarf as it will be in a pot on her deck.

My daughter wants Green Zebra, and Pineapple. She also wants a superhot. I think peppers will go in pots this year so I can bring them in easier and try to overwinter them.

I have another friend I will ask if she wants me to start any for her. She normally just gets whatever the big box store has, but I think she would appreciate some other options.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2016   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

That would be Yellow Brandywine Platfoot, which was sent to me by Garry Platfoot.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...b=General_Info

It is NOT a version of the red Brandywine as someone said.Rather,it's a smoother more high yielding version of the original Yellow Brandywine.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Brandywine,_Yellow

Carolyn
Old November 28, 2016   #44
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to have to give the Platfoot another try sometime. I had one plant two summers ago that didn't make any tomatoes; maybe it was just a bad year.

Green Doctor's Frosted is the sweetest cherry I have tried. Ambrosia Red is very sweet, too. Esmeralda Golosina, a saladette, also has intense sweetness. My plant went down from gray mold this year, though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2016   #45
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the cherry suggestions, CR. Now I have even more choices.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote