Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 14, 2015   #16
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Kath, if you need a spot for one of Carolyn's suggestion, I believe Andine Cornue and Andes are the same variety.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Kath, if you need a spot for one of Carolyn's suggestion, I believe Andine Cornue and Andes are the same variety.
Thanks, Nancy!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #18
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Either during late winter through early summer, or starting next fall I'm sure I'll try another indoor garden. Summertime is just too hard for me grow indoors. At the present time I am growing an indoor garden, so when that's finished I'll probably start right back up to start another 'season'.

Besides growing F1's of any crosses I make with my current plants, I'd like to grow these:

Heidi - Paste tomato I was once given seeds to but gave up on the plant too soon when it was struggling a little, in order to plant something else in that space . I've always wanted to grow it out just to see how good of a variety it is.

Pink Girl (hybrid) - I like this even better than Big Beef. Just as productive for me, and the taste was better. If I were to grow a hybrid from one of the seed companies this would be the one.

Black Cherry - Loved this when I grew it outdoors for a couple years. Might try it indoors for the first time. Will have to prune it to keep it small enough, but I'll have plenty of experience doing that by the time I finish growing out the plants I'm growing out now that I'm hoping to use for crosses.

Rosella Purple - Seems to be one of the most popular dwarves from the Dwarf Project for flavor, and I'm growing it now for the first time. If it tastes as good as some say I'll grow it again.

Whatever space is left will be filled with sweet peppers. Maybe King of the North, Elephant's Ear, Chinese Giant, or something else. Definitely Elephant's Ear will be in the garden though. Personal favorite of mine. Easy to grow indoors under lights, productive, and tasty.

I'm hopeful the little project I have going to make crosses goes well, and I have plenty of seed to grow out. That will obviously limit my space for everything else.

Last edited by OmahaJB; November 14, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I've actually been reading lots of threads and googling varieties, the last two weeks, trying to determine my grow out list for next year. Got to keep busy while I wait for my seeds from the swap!

Definitely planting the following:

Cherries:
Pachino
Supersweet 100
Black Cherry (but I need to order new seeds from TGS)
Carbon Copy
Sun Gold F1 *
Indigo Cherry Drops
Dancing With Smurfs
Amethyst Cream
Blue Berries (I'm trialing these four to pick out a favorite anthro cherry)

Pachino and Sun Gold F1 will be used for dried tomatoes, I will also be growing enough to share seedlings with my parents and siblings. Last year I grew a few extra plants to pass around and it was great fun! My great grandparents on my mom's side are from Sicily so I'm growing a few tomatoes from that region as an experiment and a bit of history.

Because I grew extras for family word got around and some friends bought some plants from me last year. So this year I've been taking requests since August! Dwarves (for some senior friends who are patio gardening), pastes/plums, and a few of the best known Beefsteaks.

Dwarves:
Summertime Gold (or maybe Summer Sweet Gold? Or Sweet Sue?)
Blazing Beauty
Rosella Purple
Rosella Crimson
Sweet Scarlet
Arctic Rose
Pink Passion (can this be used for sauce like other hearts?)
New Big Dwarf
Wherokowhai (I'm not sure because this may be too late season?)
Beryl Beauty (Again not sure...because no one has asked for a GWR but I would like to trial it anyways)
Tasmanian Chocolate (for me)
Purple Heart (for me)
Fred's Tie Dye (for me)
Wild Fred (for me)
a dwarf cherry?
a dwarf paste?

Pastes/Sauce:
San Marzano
San Marzano Nano or San Marzano Redorta *
Martino's Roma **
Romeo **
Russian Big Roma **
Speckled Roman **
Kenosha Paste (I'm in WI so I figure this might work well)
Franchi Red Pear (for me)
Cueno Giant Pear (for me)
Japanese Black Trifele (for me)
Japanese Yellow Trifele (for me)
Aladdin's Lamp (for me)
Darth Mater (I'm a huge Star Wars fan so this is a must try!)
possibly: Mama Leone or Heidi, Costoluto Genovese (maybe? Lots of BER in 2015), Russo Sicilian Togeta, or maybe Goldman's Italian American?
and some hearts depending on whatever I get in the MMMM seed swap?

* San Marzano did good yields two years out of 2013, 2014, and 2015 so I'll be trying Nano or Redorta to see if I can get bigger tomatoes.
** Roma sucked in those years for me and will NOT be invited back. I want to try these four because of reviews of production and size. Plus the names are similar to Roma so I think it will go over well. Maybe?

Beefsteaks:
Cherokee Purple
Indian Stripe
Best Boy F1
Big Boy F1
Big Beef
WI 55 Gold
Pruden's Purple
Spudakee (for me)
Carbon (for me)
Paul Robeson (for me, this was the best one in the 2015 garden)
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye (for me)
Sudduth's Brandywine *
Cowlisck's Brandywine *
some GWR's. Probably Cherokee Green and Humph.
Aunt Gertie's Gold and KBX (probably will start a couple of these very early too)

* The Brandywines are for me, will be started 6 weeks earlier than any of the others, and grown against a south facing brick wall using WOWs and some tomato plastic grow bags you put over the cages to extend the heat/sun in the spring. I WILL get a Brandywine tomato in 2016!

It's a good thing I have more space in the garden being tilled up!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; November 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #20
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=BackyardFarm;
* The Brandywines are for me, will be started 6 weeks earlier t[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea, I start mine very early and get great production in Alaska, I even grew them outside of the greenhouse last summer.
Start them early. For those who are not clear, Start them early. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #21
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I cant nail down a list until the day i plant the seed. Even then i change my mind quite a few times.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #22
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

backyard...can you talk from experience about the difference between Cowlick's and Sudduth Brandywine? My Cowlick's was awesome this year...but I just bought Sudduth seeds today. Any other commentors are welcome too....
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My very tentative tomato list minus cherry tomatoes:

Tomatoes Choice List

Spring Saladette - Medium

Acme 1875 Commercial - Pink
Amethyst Jewel Blue/Pink irregular 75dtm 2-8 oz.
Arkansas Traveler Pink 80dtm 2-5 oz. Heat tolerant.
Bali Pink Flat Ribbed 70dtm 2-3”
Black and Brown Boar Black Striped 70-75dtm 2-5 oz. Sets well in high heat.
Black Pear Black 75dtm 3-6 oz.
Blue Beauty Blue/Pink 75dtm 3-6 oz.
Break of Day Red 65dtm 4-7 oz.
Costoluto Florentino Red Ribbed 75dtm 4-6 oz.
Costoluto Genovese Red Ribbed 75dtm 2-7 oz.
Eva Purple Ball Pink 70dtm 4-8 oz.
Indian River (MMMM Wish List) Red 75dtm 6-11 oz.
Indigo Apple (MMMM Wish List) Blue/Red 75dtm 2-6 oz.
Livingston's Paragon Red 1870 75dtm 3-4”
Maiden's Fire Pink Striped 75dtm Small 3-6 oz.
Marizol Korney Black 75dtm 2-5 oz. Sets well in high heat.
Moonglow Orange 80dtm 4-8 oz.
Pink Ping Pong Pink 70dtm 1-3 oz. tastes unbelievably good.
Purple Calabash Black Ruffled 80dtm 1-2 oz.
Rumi Banjan Yellow cool looking 75dtm 2-3 oz.
Russo Sicilian Toggeta Red 75dtm looks great 3”
Tropic (MMMM Wish List) Red, 75dtm, 7-9 oz,. hard Florida tomato.

Spring Medium - Large

1884 Purple (MMMM Wish List) 8-20 oz. Black
Belmonte 1 lb. Ribbed Red
Big Beef Hybrid & OP (MMMM Wish List) Huge plant, Red, 9-12 plants grown to donate to charity, grown in an onion bed.
Big Boy (Hybrid) LargeRed
Chapman 12-22 oz. Red
Cherokee Chocolate 8-16 oz. Black
Cherokee Green 4-16 oz. Green
Cherokee Purple 8-16 oz. Black
Church 1 – 2 lb. Pink 80 – 85 DTM
German Pink 1 - 2 lb. Pink 85 DTM
George Detsikas Italian Red Heart/Beefsteak 1+ lb. Red
Giant Belgium 1 – 2 lb. Pink 90 DTM
Grightmire’s Pride Heart Pink 80-85 DTM
Hoy 1+ lb. Pink
Maiden's Gold Orange Beefsteak
Mexico 10-16 oz. Sweet Pink
Prudence Purple 8-16 oz. Pink
Purple Dog Creek 12-16+ oz. Pink
Richardson 1 – 1.5 lb. 90 DTM Pink
Stump of the World 1+ lb. Pink
Tidwell German 1 – 2 lb. Pink 90 DTM
Vorlon 8-16 oz. Black
Zapotec Pink Ribbed 8-16 oz. Pink

Fall

Ace 55 (MMMM Wish List) Red 75dtm
Azoychka Yellow 65dtm
De Colgar (MMMM Wish List) Pink 75dtm long keeper
Homestead 24 Red 75dtm
Manalucie (MMMM Wish List) Red 75dtm
Marglobe (MMMM Wish List) Red 68dtm 3-6 oz
Neptune (MMMM Wish List) Red 75dtm
Ocharovanie Orange 75dtm 2-6 oz.
Ozark Pink (MMMM Wish List) Pink 70dtm
Plum Lemon Yellow 75dtm
Quarter Century (MMMM Wish List) Red 75dtm

For whatever reason, it didn't format right, but that's a tentative guess at what I want to plant in 2016

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 15, 2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added spacing
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #24
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've received lots of interesting new to all or most ones from Romania and the Czech Republic and expecting new ones from France and Spain as well and others also expected.

But no, no list of ones to be grown out in 2016 yet.

On your list above I see Indian Stripes (plural) and the only place I know of, offhand, that spelled it that way was a typo from Sandhill Preservation.

Carolyn
Carolyn- are you going to grow out the "Not Omar's Lebanese" heart that I sent you? I'm going to give a few a try too!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #25
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I am still working on my plan for but I am trying new tomatoes this year and am so very excited!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #26
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

So happy to have received a gift of Seeds for tomatoes from Belgium from Gerd. Thank you Gerd!
My father's family immigrated to Canada from Belgium at the turn of the last century and so I wanted to try some real Belgian varieties. I will be growing these out to save seeds and I will put up a thread about them in the spring. Aside from these, my crosses will take up most of my available space.
Excited for spring already!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Carolyn- are you going to grow out the "Not Omar's Lebanese" heart that I sent you? I'm going to give a few a try too!
Absolutely it's going to be grown out.

In some thread here somewhere I said that I thought I had too many varieties for my current seed producers to work with that I'd need some extra volunteers for the following:

First, your possible Omar's heart, what's not to like about Omar and I LOVE Omar's Lebanese and glad to see that you will also be doing some grow outs of it as well.

Second, seeds from both JLJ and Marsha to see if we can't get a real"hearty" looking Indian Stripe that is stable.

And I'll put up a request for that in the Off Topic Forum later, don't know when, just too much on my plate right now trying to get stuff together for my next seed offer in Jan and more, and need to talk to Shawn, who is taking over the hard part of that b'c right now seeds produced this past summer are still in the hands of those who produced them, with one exception, until Shawn and I decide if those seeds should be sent to him or to me first.

So please,if anyone is interested in the above do not contact men ow and when I ask for some volunteers Ill explain in more detail what I expect from seed producers.

Carolyn
Old November 15, 2015   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
What I sent to Kath for seed production was received from Roberta in Italy as...Cornuto delle Ande...., it goes by several names, and yes, I did know it was the same as what some call Andes or Andine ,or Andine Cornue, which is why I'm not putting in my seed offer.

It was the same for what Roberta sent as Rey Umberto, which is also known as King Humbert,and more, very well known to many so not listing that one either.

BUT Roberta DID send some wonderful new varieties as kath knows, and Kath, I still have my notes that I took when you sent me the box of fruits I was supposed to be able to ID from Roberta's descriptions.

Carolyn
Old November 15, 2015   #29
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
. . . Second, seeds from both JLJ and Marsha to see if we can't get a real"hearty" looking Indian Stripe that is stable. . .
Hopefully from MarinaRussian also, Carolyn, as those may be the 'heartiest' of the current population -- at least it would be good to compare them, as Marsha's seeds are first generation children of mine and it would be useful to include some that are at least a little bit less closely related, especially when they look so promising.

If you do have some of MarinaRussian's seeds, and have more than you need to set up your usual seed production, I'd like to put a few of hers next to the products of my seeds and Marsha's . . . but I only want them if you have enough that it wouldn't endanger your seed production needs.

If I happened to get anything interesting I'd share them with you, of course, but with the vole damage to tomatoes (and about everything else) this year, I'm feeling gloomily that I should quit gardening and just set up as a vacation location for miniature dachshunds to come and enjoy a gourmet selection of pesky rodents.

I do intend to persist with tomatoes, really . . . but I don't want anyone counting on me to produce any . . . those voles did unprecedented damage in spite of measures that have slowed them down in the past. I might have a new idea or two, but probably so do the vile voles . . . we shall see.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #30
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Only a few perpetuals like Sungold F1, Carbon, Lincoln Adams. Mostly yet unnamed crosses at various filial generations for me. Will likely focus on a dwarf multiflora that is showing promise.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote