Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2015   #61
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Your matrix is certainly effective, but you should check out feldon's downloadable seed tray maps.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28933

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
It is so hard to choose. Most of the seeds are from MMMM. I am planning to grow some large ones, cherries and dwarfs. Not many medium size. I will buy the more common varieties such as CP, KB, sungold, black cherry ...from nursery.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2015   #62
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Haha. They remind me of Battleship

G7....That's a hit! I loved that game...

Seriously though, they look handy. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Your matrix is certainly effective, but you should check out feldon's downloadable seed tray maps.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28933
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #63
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Here's my grow list so far...

CHERRIES:

Ambrosia Red
Ambrosia Gold
Ildi*
Purple Bumblebee
Pink Bumblebee
Sunrise Bumblebee
Black Cherry (Russian)
Snow White

LARGE:
Marianna's Peace* or Brandywine
Anna Russian Heart or Kosovo
Chocolate Stripes or Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Tim's Black Ruffles or Black Krim
Copper River or Annanas Noir
Amana Orange or Summer Cider
Azoychka or Pork Chop
Speckled Roman or Black Icicle

I clearly have a problem in that I have twice as many large tomatos on my wish list as I do spots in the garden (and I cant make any more spots this year - I am out of sunlight!). SO I have to decide between each of the two above. I may be doing some coin flipping - but I'm totally receptive to advice!
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #64
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lindy,

I've read that Black Krim does well just about everywhere. The seeds may take up to a month to come up. The more sun it gets - the darker it gets. It can also take high heat and continue producing. With the crazy summers we have all experienced lately, who knows - it might get up to 100F in Canada this upcoming summer? Today here in Texas, it is around 60F, but it feels kind of cold outside because there is a 30 mph wind blowing out of the north. Black Krim is the only large tomato on your list that I know anything about.

Your cherry tomato list mmm looks wonderful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #65
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Camo: I just now checked back and saw your revised plans.....I knew you couldn't stick with just ten. My twenty went up to thirty-five.
Old January 25, 2015   #66
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Lindy,

I've read that Black Krim does well just about everywhere. The seeds may take up to a month to come up. The more sun it gets - the darker it gets. It can also take high heat and continue producing. With the crazy summers we have all experienced lately, who knows - it might get up to 100F in Canada this upcoming summer? Today here in Texas, it is around 60F, but it feels kind of cold outside because there is a 30 mph wind blowing out of the north. Black Krim is the only large tomato on your list that I know anything about.

Your cherry tomato list mmm looks wonderful.
Hi Salt! I have grown Krim for two years now, and am struggling to give it up. It's my favourite of all the tomatoes I've grown. You know how easy it is to fall in love with your first really excellent home grown tomato? Black Krim was my first. Tim's Black Ruffles is a cross between two of my favs - Black Krim and Zapotec (pink pleated). So I'm hoping for very good things with that tomato. My list will probably change yet again before seed time. I have to wait two months!
Old January 25, 2015   #67
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Lindy,

I am also trying to decide between Ananas Noir and Copper River. There was a thread here a while back discussing Copper River and some people were wondering if they were the same tomato. It was decided that they were not, because Copper River is shorter and determinate. the fruit from each looks very similar though. I hope somebody here who has tried both (hopefully in the same year) can chime in. I'm leaning toward Copper River because it's shorter and I don't have that many places left in my garden plan for tall plants. I've been growing Ananas Noir for quite a few years now and absolutely love it.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #68
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Lindy,

I am also trying to decide between Ananas Noir and Copper River. There was a thread here a while back discussing Copper River and some people were wondering if they were the same tomato. It was decided that they were not, because Copper River is shorter and determinate. the fruit from each looks very similar though. I hope somebody here who has tried both (hopefully in the same year) can chime in. I'm leaning toward Copper River because it's shorter and I don't have that many places left in my garden plan for tall plants. I've been growing Ananas Noir for quite a few years now and absolutely love it.

Robin
Robin - I think I'm going to give Copper River a try too - it looks different enough, and I want to have something splashy to grow with the old standards. I resurrected the thread on Copper River a couple of days ago - I knew someone would have asked about it here before! I have noticed you are growing a few I am curious about this year. Dark Galaxy looks incredible - but I do grow tomatoes for taste first. Have you grown it before? have you grown any of the bumblebee cherries? I have heard mixed reviews - some say flavourless and crunchy with thick skins, and some say gorgeous, prolific and sweet!

Last edited by LindyAdele; January 25, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old January 25, 2015   #69
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

PATIO HANGING "DOWN UNDER" POT
Sun Gold

SMART POTS 25 GALLON on Patio
Sun Gold - Cherry
Fruity cherry
Rosella Crimson - Dwarf*
Chocolate Champion - Dwarf*

SMART POTS off Patio
Prudens Purple*
Lucky Cross
Stump of the World
Royal Hillbilly*
Red Barn
Boondocks
Mortgage Lifter - Estlers strain
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
SandulMoldovan*

RAISED BEDS - 4' X 4' X1 ' cedar
KBX
Orange Minsk*
Lucky Cross
Stump of the World
J Ds Special C Tex *
Red Barn
Boondocks -2
ML Estlers -2
Prudens Purple*
George Detsikas Italian*

IN GROUND
Crnkovic
Red Barn
Royal Hillbilly*
J Ds Special C Tex*
Stump of the World
Prudens Purple*

* new for me
Old January 25, 2015   #70
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
Robin - I think I'm going to give Copper River a try too - it looks different enough, and I want to have something splashy to grow with the old standards. I resurrected the thread on Copper River a couple of days ago - I knew someone would have asked about it here before! I have noticed you are growing a few I am curious about this year. Dark Galaxy looks incredible - but I do grow tomatoes for taste first. Have you grown it before? have you grown any of the bumblebee cherries? I have heard mixed reviews - some say flavourless and crunchy with thick skins, and some say gorgeous, prolific and sweet!
Lindy,

I have not tried Dark Galaxy, but I like most of Brad's tomatoes. I'm definitely taking a chance on that one. I don't normally go for looks first either, but in this case I did. I got my seeds from Tania, and she says it's sweet. Of the Bumblebee cherries, I have only grown Blush and Purple Bumblebee. I loved both. They were both sweet and lovely. Thicker skin... maybe, but there was absolutely no cracking! So, now I've gotten seeds for Sunrise, Pink and Lucky Tiger so I'm hopefully trying them this year.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #71
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lindy and Robin. Both of you have helped me a lot in pursuit of obtaining cherry tomato seeds that I have planted already. I have a variety of Bumblebees that neither of you mentioned. I'll PM you very soon.

Thank you both.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #72
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Camo: I just now checked back and saw your revised plans.....I knew you couldn't stick with just ten. My twenty went up to thirty-five.
Paul,
I was really sincere about just my top ten favorite tomatoes, but when Darlene offered so many of those on my "I gotta grow These" list, I knew I was lost. Still not to bad, (23), tomatoes with the majority of my favorites and her great temptations that I'm looking forward to trying. Some having been recommended for years.

Now I admit, I might be going a little overboard with spinach and some other veggies this year, but I've developed a taste for spinach like I have for tomatoes. They go well together, too!
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #73
natural
Tomatovillian™

I have grown all of the artisan cherries and I liked them all.
For me, the bumblebees do not crack at all. They are very disease resistant as well. The purple is the firmest, but not too firm for me. The pink is a little sweeter. The Sunrise produces the least of the three.

As for the tigers (and Blush), I also like all of these. I would caution that I have experienced severe cracking, but not until late in the season. By then, I'm tired of picking these tomato producing machines anyway.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #74
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Folks, I am starting a garden, as it has been 15 years since my last one. What varieties do you reccomend for zone 9, here in Houston, TX?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #75
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one
Dutch
Yep, two can be as bad as one. I'd better get to at least three, soon.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote