Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2014   #1
AaronRiot
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone planted "Kumato" seeds from store-bought fruit before?

Just curious. I have 3 going (didn't know they were hybrid) and would like to know if anyone else has had any decent results?
AaronRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I grow them every year from some saved seeds that I got from a market maybe 7 years ago.I love them,wife demands them,remember man has last word "YES DEAR!"If you have the time and have not read these posts it has been discussed over the years.Have fun.P.S.open each one up and the name Kumato will show highlighted.

http://www.tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=1697366

Last edited by kurt; June 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #3
AaronRiot
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt!

Heh, I myself was instructed to save seed from these. The better half loved them. This variety and a random cherry tomato from the store will be our first from seed grows.

Getting addicted is fun! Although, I fear the pepperpatch will be downsized next year..

Thanks for the link, definitely should have searched before piping up; At least I didn't ask about pruning suckers or how deep to plant!
Old June 9, 2014   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Kurt,

Have you noticed if your Kumatos have a longer shelf life once you bring them in the house? I am trying Kumato from store seeds as well this year. It tasted better than other winter store tomatoes, so I thought I would try them as a long keeper type, hoping for many green tomatoes to bring in before frost. ( Not that you have to worry about that much in Florida! )

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

ddsack: They do last a long time in the house.They are suprisingly sweet when green(firm to touch but needs the dark shoulders)For the wife who picks them she says two weeks is the norm.So we stagger 2 crops per year.If you get them as big as a tennis ball that would be large,1/3 smaller seems to be the norm.For us a "all around mater"sweet,briuseproof,and long lasting.As the northern gardners concern is the freeze,ours is the 90sand 100% humdity as we have been having last couple of years.Your heating bills equate to our electric bills in the seasons.

AaronRiot:Thats what makes this site so nice,across the board experience,multitudes of archived information in the search areas.Plain down home gardners what more could you ask for?
Old June 10, 2014   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing something similar from seed of a store tomato, called Chocmande. It's imported from Spain, dark maroon in color, and tasted like the real thing - almost as real as my Black Krim last year. So, I stuck the seed into soil and the seedling is going to be planted soon. The stem is very dark and shows it has some 'blackness' in it. Really curious to see if the fruit resembles its 'mom' or any of the other black tomatoes I'm growing this year.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #7
BriAnDaren
Tomatovillian™

This year, we're growing Kumato and Candi-to for the first time. We have very high hopes for the Candi-to since even the store bought tomatoes had a hint of sweetness to it!

We grew Zima last year and are doing so again this year. At its peak, the Zima was just as sweet as Sungold and Sun Sugar. It didn't have the fruity taste though, just the high sugar content.
BriAnDaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #8
AaronRiot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
AaronRiot:Thats what makes this site so nice,across the board experience,multitudes of archived information in the search areas.Plain down home gardners what more could you ask for?
Not a whole lot! I'm really enjoying the board and learning a lot already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I'm growing something similar from seed of a store tomato, called Chocmande. It's imported from Spain, dark maroon in color, and tasted like the real thing - almost as real as my Black Krim last year.
Looks like the Black Krim is one of the go-to dark-coloured tomatoes. Will have to try this one out for next season. My 2015 list begins here!
Old June 10, 2014   #9
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I'm growing something similar from seed of a store tomato, called Chocmande. It's imported from Spain, dark maroon in color, and tasted like the real thing - almost as real as my Black Krim last year. So, I stuck the seed into soil and the seedling is going to be planted soon. The stem is very dark and shows it has some 'blackness' in it. Really curious to see if the fruit resembles its 'mom' or any of the other black tomatoes I'm growing this year.
If you grow enough Kumato F2 and F3 siblings, you indeed will find some plants with strong expressions of anthocyanin in the upper stems, leaf petioles, and fruit pedicels. The anthocyanin is the source of the "black" or dark purple coloring of those parts.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #10
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronRiot View Post
Looks like the Black Krim is one of the go-to dark-coloured tomatoes. Will have to try this one out for next season. My 2015 list begins here!
I grew Black Krim last year and loved it. Doing it again this year as well. Delicious, more so than Kumato.

Actually I was buying Kumato from a local Trader Joe's store last year, and they were delicious. But then the quality changed. They taste more like hot house tomatoes. Not very flavorful. I switched to pearl tomatoes (sort of in between cherry and standard) which are sweeter. Hope you have good luck with your Kumatos!
Old June 12, 2014   #11
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Curious as to why anyone would grow Kumato, aside from as a curiosity. Never found them to taste particularly good compared to 'black' heirloom varieties...is it for the shelf life that ddsack asked about?
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #12
travis
Tomatovillian™

Anthony, have you ever tasted Kumato grown outside rather than in a greenhouse?

There are other reasons to grow Kumato if one is into some experimenting as well.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It's definitely for shelf life for me. I do think they have decent taste for a store tomato, though I don't expect them to replace any of my favorite black heirlooms. If being grown in garden conditions improves flavor, I will be thrilled! I will pay attention to DTM for mine, and if grown in future years, will try to time transplants to ripen late, so they can be brought in green and ripen in the house to extend my fresh tomato season long after frost. I am also growing Piennolo Del Vesuvio for the same reason. At least that's the plan!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #14
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Anthony, have you ever tasted Kumato grown outside rather than in a greenhouse?

There are other reasons to grow Kumato if one is into some experimenting as well.
No I haven't, which is why I was asking. I try not to waste garden space unneccesarily, can't imagine anything could make these tomatoes taste good enough to be worth growing, so wondering about what people have found, particularly if shelf life was great and taste was better than when bought in the store. Experimenting is always fun, doing some more this year with offspring of offspring of saved purple haze seeds.

Last edited by Anthony_Toronto; June 12, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

People are buying tomatoes Kumato (for high prices) because they taste good them. And therefore also trying to grow them in the garden. When I buy tomato at the store, I eat it and I do not interest how long it withstand in the fridge. Piennolo tomatoes are completely different category with an average taste. There is not a tomato that had only good qualities.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote