Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2006   #1
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Hello, my name is...

Dr_Redwine and no, the name was not picked for the variety. It is simply my name on another unrelated forum that I thought would work well here. I live in central Alabama- Zone 8 and grew up around farming and gardens and the associated picking, blanching, shelling, freezing, etc.

I will turn 40 this summer and have been growing tomatoes for about 12 years at this location just east of Montgomery. I really do have a sandy loam soil here that I have been improving each year with compost, cover crops, or whatever mood strikes.

My love for growing tomatoes comes from my grandfather. I loved to help him when I was young whether it was scouring over the neighbor's pasture for manure or putting up chicken wire to keep out what else? His chickens. Boy, I wish he were still around. He grew and believed in Better Boys. Period. And that has been my primary crop from Day 1, but this year things have changed.

Last year was my first crack at heirlooms...Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter. A friend gave me the plants to set out later in the spring. Well after tasting the heirlooms I began to reseach, and you see where this is going, wound up here. Actually I arrived via the Growing Tomatoes Forum (that I tried to join and never was contacted).

I look forward to participating this forum and already recognize a few members from the other site. Please be patient with me with regard to some of my questions regarding seedlings. This is my first year to see a tomato plant this small.

DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2006   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default welcome!

Welcome to Tomatoville!

Browse and post to your hearts' content.

Lots of great folks here with lots of knowledge to share with each other.

Mischka
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2006   #3
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Just signed up myself, though I must confess I find the colour scheme a little overwhelming.
Old January 30, 2006   #4
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

Dr_Redwine, You'll get a kick out of growing tomatoes from seed! I think my grandmother might be similar to your grandfather. I proudly showed her a beautiful Kellogg's Breakfast. Her reply: "A tomato should look like a tomato." End of conversation.

Raymondo, I found the green a little over the top myself but its getting less and less annoying as time goes on.

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2006   #5
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks to you all.

CO:
My Grandfather was very much set in his ways by the time I was able to argue with him.

Mischka:
Thanks for setting this up! I look forward to throwing out some questions for sure.

Raymondo:
The green is growing on me. Pun intended.
Old February 6, 2006   #6
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Default Just Joined

Hi.

I just joined and am trying to make my way around. Hopefully I am doing this correctly. Thanks Mishka. It looks like you put alot of work into this!

carolyn
Little_Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2006   #7
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Little-Rhody

I think you're doing fine. Nice to hear from you.
DrR