Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2012   #16
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Usually from late June thru mid Oct.
Several years ago here in central VA, picked the 1st tomato on 6/16 and the last one on 12/16
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2012   #17
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

here in central upstate ny we are not safe to set out our plants till after june 6th and this year was delayed more so by constnt rains.. its a challenging season for me as after setting them out we had a 7 week drought ,, i lost my dad last weeek and was out of town and returned to many of my plants being hail damaged with alot of the tops brokem pff.. they still look healthy but they have been thru lots of turmoil
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2012   #18
ron bruce
Tomatovillian™

Growing season here is, on average, from May 10th to Oct 1st but when does the average ever happen?
This year spring was late and I'm just getting a few tomatoes now.

Next year I'll get some early toms out there and give them some protection... maybe plant a few early in the house and pot them up till they're ready to go outside.
ron bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #19
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I got off to an early start, about the second week of May, but frost will get me around Oct 5th or so. My crop is going to be real low, because of the excessive heat.

CECIL
Old August 1, 2012   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

365 days a year.
I am thinking about tomatoes planting seeds sprouting seeds raising seedlings preparing the garden picking tomatoes pulling plants talking tomatoes here eating tomatoes yep 365 days a year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #21
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

I start some seeds mid December. Planted under hoop hut in Mid February.
Most seeds started January 1-15. Planted out March 1-15.
First fruit by the end of May to early June. (I don't use early varieties except cherries. If I planted SunGold or Stupice in mid December, I might get fruit mid-April).
August and early September can be too hot to set fruit.
Dry Santa Anna winds in October can dry out anything left, but if plant survive, they can go to January before first frost. I might try a fall planting by starting seed now or maybe cloning some plants and placing them in the part of the property that gets the most sun in fall-winter.

If everything goes perfectly, I am tomato deprived only in February, March and April.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #22
deerhunter
Tomatovillian™

here in central mass i always put my tomato plants out by memorial day. just started picking them a week ago. oxhearts first , then celebritys. if i can keep the septorea down i should be good right into late sept. first killing frost here is usally the second week of oct.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #23
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPaul1024 View Post
...Love growing heirloom toms, but now, fighting deer, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks and a possum,..
I have a dog that is up all night wishing he can find a cat to chase, he would LOVE your place.
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012   #24
80sgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Just had my first tomato this season!

Hi everyone and thank you for great replies. I am amazed that several of you live so far south but still only have a short growing season like myself in Atlantic Canada. Yesterday I picked my first two ripe Purple Calabash tomatoes. They arrived early, but such a sweet meatly treat compaired to anything in the grocery store. I can't wait for more!
80sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #25
JayPaul1024
Tomatovillian™

Hiya Z - waving back at ya!

I've tasted Stupice and some other with 60 - 70 DTM but for me, (I fancy myself a gourmand) they pale in comparison, taste-wise, to Paul Robeson, Brandywine, Aunt Ginny and Crnkovic Yugoslavian. If I can't have the super rich taste, I'm not compelled to plant. What early varieties do you know that are simply awesome?
JayPaul1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #26
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

In a 'typical' year we can set transplants out the middle of May and have a tomato or two by July 15th, doubling the number of fruit ripened every week until the rains set in - usually in late Sept/early Oct.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #27
80sgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPaul1024 View Post
Hiya Z - waving back at ya!

I've tasted Stupice and some other with 60 - 70 DTM but for me, (I fancy myself a gourmand) they pale in comparison, taste-wise, to Paul Robeson, Brandywine, Aunt Ginny and Crnkovic Yugoslavian. If I can't have the super rich taste, I'm not compelled to plant. What early varieties do you know that are simply awesome?
hi, this is my first year of really trying to grow heirloom tomato plants, I didn't think they would have time to ripen here, but I'm giving it a try this year. I'll let you know in a month or so.
80sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #28
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Ah, JayPaul, my palate may not be so refined! ;-p I love a wide range of tomato tastes, from the complex Brandywine to the sweet Sungold.

The earlies I grow are Stupice, Matina, Kimberly, and Kotlas. (I've also tried Sophie's Choice, which Carolyn recommends in her book, but it didn't produce particularly well OR early for me, and the seeds are hard to find [I am not a saver]).

I like them all well enough, though each is different and they change given the weather, etc. And I'm not a big fan of Aunt Ginny, so I imagine we have different enough tastes I wouldn't be a very good guide to flavour you think is awesome, alas! Vive la difference, as they say a little farther east in my country. ;-p

None of the earlies is my absolute fave, but they are fine tomatoes to my taste, and sure do hit the spot with a little salt and red wine vinegar and feta cheese when it's July and I haven't had a fresh tomato in eight or nine months! (I just don't buy them at the store any more, sigh.)

Some of the purples and blacks are often quite early for me, too---Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Southern Nights (I just picked two of those) frequently are not far behind the "earlies."

Fish Lake Oxheart is new to me (though I live near Fish Lake, don't know if you've seen that thread), and I have two of those ready to pick probably today. Many on this site who grew it last year really liked the flavour and found it unusually early for a big tomato, so that might be worth a try for you....

Hope your toms all came out OK from your big, crazy rain! Send us a little of that wet stuff across the lake, eh?

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote