Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2006   #1
markferon
Tomatovillian™

Default Bibliography of Giant Tomato References

Bibliography of Giant Tomato References

Anyone with info sources on growing large tomatoes other then those source listed below please post them.

BOOKS:
How to grow giant vegetables / Bowcock, Colin 1980 p. 63-66

How to grow giant vegetables / Lavery, Bernard/ 1995 p.35-40

The New York TimesMagazines:
Organic gardening./ what to feed a giant/ 8/1972 pg 38-42

Southern living./Champion vegetables/Bender, Steve
10/1995 pg 94;

Organic gardening/Grow your biggest tomatoes ever!/ By: Chaplin, Lois Trigg./ Nov95, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p30, 6p, 9c;

Newspaper Articles
The Washington post " The Way To Get Big Tomatoes"
Jan 28, 1912 pg SM8

The Washington Post"Food Experts Dispute Value Of Own Home-Grown Tomatoes"Aug 19, 1943. p. B1

Christian Science Monitor"Chilean grows big, big tomato"
Feb 19, 1966. p. 3

The Times London," Tomato weighing 4lb at show" Oct 5 1974 page 5
hristian Science Monitor"Producing record breakers in the plant world; Around the Garden New Guinness book Growing guidelines Lists of specimens "Aug 19, 1977. p. 21

The Wisconsin State Journal, "Tomato earns fame for local gardener",
April 8, 1986 sec. 5 p. 7
The New York Times"Pain and passion mark the quest for big tomato" Sept 1 1987 pg. B1
The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, "Killer TOMATOES The man to beat Gordon Graham" June 11, 1993, sec P p.1.

The Oklahoman,"Tomato Growers Eyeing Record" , March 26 1993, p.97.

The Oklahoman, "Fe Fi fo that Tomato is Huge" March 23 1993, p.57.

The New York Times," A Tomato Champion Wins Again; 'Anyone can do it,' says a grower of giant tomatoes." .: Sep 25, 1994. pg. N_J_9, 1 pgs

The New York Times,"In Long Branch, She Grows Tomatoes the Size of Footballs; ON THE MAP" Jun 23, 1996. pg. NJ3, 1 pgs
The New York Times,"Contest for Big Tomatoes Coming Back, Even Bigger"Aug 16, 1998. p. NJ6
The New York Times,"That's One Big Tomato, And It Wins a Prize",Sep 6, 1998. pg. NJ5, 1 pgs

TV Transcripts
CBS THIS MORNING, "Gordon Graham, Grower of the Worlds Biggest Tomato"
March 28 1990 (7:00 am)
markferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #2
geol
Tomatovillian™

How to grow world record tomatos - written by Charles Wilber. I'm not sure if Mr. Wilber still holds the current record.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #3
markferon
Tomatovillian™

geo Wilbur's record was for plant size only and he does not hold it any more. the current record is 65 ft i doubt it will fall soon. Since the references I posted are all for tomato size not plant size. Nice try, but you will need to search a bit more. I know of several reference I did not include but those did not have enough growing info, historical relevance or other info I found would help those interested in growing a record or prize winner at local fair or weighoff.
markferon is offline   Reply With Quote