Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 21, 2017   #46
JoParrott

I feel it will do the job- I can't give you a scientific number, but my guess from 50 + years of gardening is that your watering will be every bit as efficient with it. But if you are more concerned with the diameter than the quality, use your judgement. Personally I am more than 100% satisfied with the hose from Factory direct. They also sell 5/8" garden hoses- why don't you check them out too?
Old September 21, 2017   #47
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Jo, I am glad you have found the hose that works for you. I did research the mean green among LOTS of other hoses, and lots of folks thought it was no longer available so at least we know it can still be purchased. I did come across this video I will post link to. Not very favorable but everyone has their own opinion. In the video MG is replaced by the Eley which I posted link to in my earlier post. If the Flexogen doesn't last then I will bite the bullet and purchase the Eley.

Like Sue I don't think the 1/2 in. would suffice for me. But if it works for you that is great, everyone has specific requirements. Thanks for posting your recommendation. So much to consider when buying something as simple as a garden hose lol. I spent hours researching before I finally ordered and only time will tell if I made a wise decision.

Oh here is that link.......I am only posting because it did dissuade me from the MG, again I will say if it is working for you that's wonderful!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZMZm...ature=youtu.be
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #48
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

It was the Factory Direct hoses I was looking at. I will do more research on which diameter is best for me. I just read a couple of explanations and apparently the long lengths do more to decrease output than the diameter, so I will have to really assess if I have been using hoses that are longer than I need, as well. Thank you for the recommendations, I have been looking for a good kink resistant hose for quite some time. Just to be clear though, you are talking about the "Mean Green" hoses and not the Coiled, rubber or Gatorhyde, correct? I am sure the rubber is quite heavy and the Gatorhyde seems to be out of stock, so the only ones left are the Mean Green and the Coiled hose.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Water flow is a lot like electricity in many ways mostly because both are energy.
You can push higher voltage down a smaller wire much like you can push higher water pressure down a smaller pipe or hose.
Not to say with pipe or wire you wont have resistance or friction loss in both.
Bigger is always better.
This is why they have transformers at the house and regulators PRV's in pipe every so often.

To exemplify this even more you must first look at your static water pressure.
One house with pressure at 70 psi can get away with a longer 1/2 hose where a house with 30 psi cant.
This is one of the reasons many people are saying it works fine for me and others not for a given length of hose.
Another culprit is the crappy hose bibs or the small water lines coming from the meter and how long they are.
You have to take all of this into account.

By the way that bigger hole for the hose connection is a sales pitch all of them are bigger than the hole in the hose bib valve.
That valve is the major culprit for lack of flow.
Many times the valve and smaller pipe plus length reducing the flow by half as much as at the meter.
With any meter at the street never ever let them run 3/4 from it to the house Even if it is a 3/4 or 5/8 meter insist on at least 1 inch or bigger if it is going to be anywhere close to 50 to 100 feet or more.
Don't let these so called plumbers or builders fool you into thinking it wont do any good, it will due to reduction in friction loss, I know what I am talking about.
If they want to charge you 100's of dollars more call BS, bigger pipe isn't 100's of dollars more in cost.
I ran nothing but 1-1/2 inch pipe and 1 inch for my irrigation system.
Works fantastic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes I could babble on for hours when it comes to water and electricity.
There are many myths.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #51
JoParrott

Yes the mean green, not the coiled one-I don't have any experience with the coiled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
It was the Factory Direct hoses I was looking at. I will do more research on which diameter is best for me. I just read a couple of explanations and apparently the long lengths do more to decrease output than the diameter, so I will have to really assess if I have been using hoses that are longer than I need, as well. Thank you for the recommendations, I have been looking for a good kink resistant hose for quite some time. Just to be clear though, you are talking about the "Mean Green" hoses and not the Coiled, rubber or Gatorhyde, correct? I am sure the rubber is quite heavy and the Gatorhyde seems to be out of stock, so the only ones left are the Mean Green and the Coiled hose.
Old September 21, 2017   #52
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well, I checked and I have been using a 100' 5/8" hose. I will measure the distance from my house to my garden, but I am pretty sure I don't need that full length. If I do, I only need it for the back, and I can go shorter for the front. I will measure. I might try just replacing the the front with a shorter, better quality hose and see how it goes. I would like to be able water the lawn faster so I can get more area covered. Right now I can't usually get the entire front yard watered in one day. I don't worry as much about the back yard, but I like the front yard to look nice.

That is a pretty bad video about the mean green hose. The Eley hose looks good, but I will do some more research on that one, too. It could be that the quality of the Mean Green hose has declined since JoParrott bought one.
Old September 21, 2017   #53
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

The Craftsman all rubber hose gets very good reviews. Has anyone used this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Pre.../dp/B0035HLLJ4
Old September 21, 2017   #54
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I love my Craftsman all rubber hose. Stays out in the harsh weather without getting stiff. It is heavy but the flexibility makes the weight less of an issue. I have it attached to an area that is flat which also contributes to the ease of use.

Having said that , last week I bought two scrunch up hoses on clearance from Wal Mart and I can't belive how easy they are to attach and move around. Yes, it has to fully fill up for a minute or so to get it unfurled in the right spot. So, so easy to move around. They have only one star for reliability but I'm still going to get a spare pair for next year.

Home Depot has a one day sale today only on a scrunch hose by Sun Joe.They also sell that brand in the half inch lighweight hose but not included in this sale. Maybe next year for me.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #55
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. Do the Sears rubber hoses kink?
Old September 21, 2017   #56
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Not too badly. Sometimes you have to pick it up and shake it out. I wouldn't call it a kink, more like a twist. A kink I have to find the exact spot where it folded and smooth both sides of with two hands..

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #57
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Having good luck with Stainless Steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I am sick and tired of lugging the kinking heavy hose around in my garden, just sick of it! Got it 2 years ago, forgot what I paid but it wasn't cheap. Yeah, it was labeled kink free, ha! I knew it wouldn't last. Seems no matter what, I need a replacement after a couple of years.
Looked online and there are a million choices. Read reviews, can't believe them all so I thought I'd ask you all. What are you using and is it light? Right now I feel like a fire fighter carrying those heavy-duty hoses on their shoulders.
Wife loves them,slippery like fresh caught eels.

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Garden-...6045389&sr=8-1
Old September 21, 2017   #58
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I looked at those on Amazon earlier, Kurt. I have some questions. Do they get hot in the sun? What happens if you step on it or run over it with the car? I often run mine across the driveway.
Old September 21, 2017   #59
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Utube plus description on amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I looked at those on Amazon earlier, Kurt. I have some questions. Do they get hot in the sun? What happens if you step on it or run over it with the car? I often run mine across the driveway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCy2f6MMzvQ
Old September 21, 2017   #60
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well there is no update that I could find from him and the people commenting underneath are not very happy. I am looking primarily for a hose to use on an oscillating sprinkler with good pressure to cover as much area as possible and apply as much water as possible in the least amt of time. I want it not to kink and to be as light as possible and last as long as possible. So far my biggest problem has been kinking.