Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2006   #16
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404
Like most Koreans she eats her tomatos covered with sugar.
That brings back many memories!
Growing up we would cut tomatoes into wedges and dip them into a bowlful of sugar. My dad included. Strange though, that once us kids grew up, no one does the sugar thing anymore and I can't remember my dad enjoying sugar with his tomatoes in his later years. Perhaps it was his way of getting us hooked on tomatoes?
BTW, we are of German descent, so wonder if it is a cultural thing...
Oh, back to the subject... I prefer the aggressive, tangy, you know it's a tomato taste.
Cathy

Next time I get a store brought tomato, I'm going to get out the sugar and see if that helps any!
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #17
travis
Tomatovillian™

I like a tomato that stands out there on its own and proudly asserts itself as a tomato.

This would be a tomato the doesn't need salt, sugar, bacon, mayo, burger, olive oil, basil, parmesan, balsamic vinegar, or any other condiment or food product to complement or augment the complete, stand alone tomato experience.

As far as texture, the tomato skin should be there and pop at the bite but not be so tough as to slide around between the molars like slimey shoe leather as you enjoy devouring the bare naked interior which should be composed of a balance between solids and juice with the solids prevailing but with the juice a significant proportion.

When eaten right of the vine as all fruit should be eaten (rather than in chilled slices like some panty-waist at a wine tasting), the shoulder texture should be noticeably more "green" and crunchy than the blossom end texture, and there should be some variations inbetween as one progresses through the fruit.

Like Keith says, there should be a quantity of gel, and I think it should be enough to be noticeable by its texture in the mouth as differenciated from the solids; and the seeds should be present in sufficient number and size that every now and then one gets stuck between the eaters teeth or even better, the enjoyment is enhanced by the popping of a tiny fat seed between the molars.

The solids should not be mushy, dry, mealy, or hard. The juice should be a balance between sweet and that acid burn that announces but never delivers a stomach sore. And the juice should be available in that perfect quantity that ignites an explosion upon the first bite and launches an initial geiser preferably in someone else's direction but which also threatens to soil one's own clothing yet only results in a significant chin dribble.

This is a tomato my dad grew, and if I would violate the rule imposed upon this thread in the original post, everyone would recognize the name as the tomato that sets the standard for all other commercial heirlooms. Why then am I searching through hundreds of other varieties to find the "perfect tomato?" Because I can and it's there.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #18
melody
Tomatovillian™

To answer Craig's question first, I grew it 2 seasons and then a host of health problems...(mine, then my husbands) have kept my gardening (and tomato plans) at a minimum for several seasons.

This year, we both seem to be healthy and things are on track for a good garden. I don't want to over-do it, so am trying to be conservative, but am planning on a good tomato, pepper, melon and eggplant season..

Back to the topic at hand, and sorry for the little hi-jack...

I prefer a juicy tomato, even for drying. The 'drier' types do not have the full bodied taste that I like, so it stands to reason that I dry the juicy ones too.

For salsa, I prefer a tomato that is on the tart side, for a BLT, I want a creamy, rich flavor with higher sugar content. For a salad, I want a firm tomato that will not melt into my dressing, but never a mushy or mealy tomato in any circumstances. That said, tomatoes shouldn't crunch either. A blend of several varieties in a salad is nice...a rainbow of colors and flavors.

I don't peel my tomatoes, I like the skins, but don't like a tomato with a leathery or chewy skin.

The best tomato in my opinion is the first one of the season, lovingly watched and anticipated. Checking on it each and every day till it is absolute perfection. Pick it on a warm, sunny day and eat it standing in the garden...preferably barefoot. Regardless of the variety or flavor...that's the best one...the FIRST one!
melody is offline   Reply With Quote