Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 23, 2009   #16
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

My vote goes for King Pineapple or Burracker's Favoritie. Both are large, purdy & tasty!

Steve
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2009   #17
camochef
Tomatovillian™

cecil,
I'm not real big on bi-colors, while they look nice, they just don't equal some of the pinks, reds or blacks in taste. I've grown most of them over the years, without being overly impressed but there were two this year that stood out. One was Golden Queen that was supposed to be yellow and pink but mine were almost all pink with just the slightest touch of yellow on some. I've been told that can happen with cooler weather, which was certainly the case this year.
The other was Porkchop. Both were tasty tomatoes. I'll probably grow both again in the future!
Camo

Last edited by camochef; October 30, 2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: spelling
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2009   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Bingo!

He's in NC and a red and yellow one would definitely mean a red/gold bicolor of which there are maybe 150-200 named ones and no doubt many are the same variety just with a different name.

As I said above, I don't see why he can't buy a few fruits at a Farmers Market, but seeing that the season is over I did name a couple of that kind in my post above that I think are better than others and can name some more if that would help.
Carolyn, I know this is off topic but you seem very knowledgeable about the various varieties out there, is there a list that you can recommend that lists the various tomatoes that are probably the same or nearly so with different names? I think this information would be very helpful when you are trying out new tomato varieties so you don't waste time and valuable garden space on nearly identical tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2009   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's some pictures from bicolors. Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...oades+Heirloom
Old October 30, 2009   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Carolyn, I know this is off topic but you seem very knowledgeable about the various varieties out there, is there a list that you can recommend that lists the various tomatoes that are probably the same or nearly so with different names? I think this information would be very helpful when you are trying out new tomato varieties so you don't waste time and valuable garden space on nearly identical tomatoes.
Do you mean the many gold/red bicolors?
Old October 31, 2009   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Do you mean the many gold/red bicolors?
No I'm thinking of all the OPs where there seem to be many that if not identical are so similar that their differences are of no consequence.
Old October 31, 2009   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No I'm thinking of all the OPs where there seem to be many that if not identical are so similar that their differences are of no consequence.
I would find that hard to do, really.

There are three groups I can think of where the plants and fruits do seem to be very similar, but there are always folks who prefer one over another b'c with their conditions as to weather, amendments used, way of growing tomatoes and taste especially, as well as production they would not see them as being similar. And it also depends on whether a particular variety has been grown once or several times.

The three groups I'm referring to are:

Gold/red bicolors
Brandywine strains
Mortgage Lifter strains, with the exception of the Mullens strain which has pale leaves making it different from the other ML strains.

Best I can do, I think.
Old October 31, 2009   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carlyn.
I was just hoping there would be such a list somewhere to make it easier to select varieties. The descriptions of many varieties are the same so you really don't know what your going to have until 3 months latter. Then you find a couple of mature plants that you can't tell apart unless they are labeled; while others with the same description are totally different.
Old October 31, 2009   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Carlyn.
I was just hoping there would be such a list somewhere to make it easier to select varieties. The descriptions of many varieties are the same so you really don't know what your going to have until 3 months latter. Then you find a couple of mature plants that you can't tell apart unless they are labeled; while others with the same description are totally different.
That's absolutely true.

Hundreds upon hundreds of large red beefsteak varieties, same with large pinks, same with large so called blacks, same with green when ripes, etc.

The only way to tell if you like a variety is possibly if a lot of folks refer to it, but even then the only reasonable way to make a decision is to grow it yourself with your conditions where you live and how you grow tomatoes and how it performs and tastes for you.

On the bright side if you're relatively young and have many growing years ahead of you there's only about 12,000 OP varieties that are known and described and many of those are available commercially and even more thru listings in the SSE Yearbooks, where there are about 4,000 listed each year.
Old October 31, 2009   #25
igarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
....The other was Porkchop. Both were tasty tomatoes. I'll probably grow both again in the future!
Camo
we grew Pork Chop this year for the first time and really liked it too for taste and visual.

one other we really enjoyed was Red Barred Boar. thin skinned, juicey, a little sweet and a lot of tomato flavor. just delicious!