Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 2, 2009   #31
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
.............It seemed like we went from an extended Spring to an early Fall. Never did get a nice Summer at all here.
..................We had poor/slow germination due to the cold June. ..........Lousy set for no apearent reason other than cool weather. The neighbor has bee hives just a couple hundred yards from the field so that wasn't it.
Carol, you could be talking about my garden here. Same complaint about the weather, but I sure wish I had those bees for neighbors

CECIL
Old October 5, 2009   #32
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

To add insult to injury, after 2+ inches of rain Saturday, my tomatoes were once again pelted with hail during a freak thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.frost cover 026.JPG
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2009   #33
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Bummer Barkeater, hope your luck changes soon.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2009   #34
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Light frost (first time this fall) hit a few of my sensitive plants last night and tonight I have my doubts a frost cloth would help........

Few flurries
Temp. -6°C (21.2°F)
Feels Like -15°C (5°F)
Wind NW 30km/h
Humidity 86%
P.O.P. 60%
Snow

I'll send some cold down Texas way if they will reciprocate with some heat (no matter what its heading down that way anyways). Only I think they will celebrate its arrival.

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2009   #35
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypon View Post
Light frost (first time this fall) hit a few of my sensitive plants last night and tonight I have my doubts a frost cloth would help........

Few flurries
Temp. -6°C (21.2°F)
Feels Like -15°C (5°F)
Wind NW 30km/h
Humidity 86%
P.O.P. 60%
Snow

I'll send some cold down Texas way if they will reciprocate with some heat (no matter what its heading down that way anyways). Only I think they will celebrate its arrival.
Trying my math skills here.Is that 26º F? No a frost cloth won't work
I think our first bad frost will be Tuesday morning. Wish it would hold off longer, I'm still picking. Down to 27 plants.

CECIL
Old October 8, 2009   #36
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
Trying my math skills here.Is that 26º F? No a frost cloth won't work
I think our first bad frost will be Tuesday morning. Wish it would hold off longer, I'm still picking. Down to 27 plants.

CECIL
Ooops, I see you did the math. I was wrong, it's colder yet. Brrr. Sorry about your plants.
CECIL
Old October 8, 2009   #37
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Don't worry Cecil I have those days too.

My maters have already been pulled....Oct 1 (nights can change fast here and it was getting too cool by then anyways). My coleus showed the damage this am and tonight I was busy digging out my New Zealand grass (it can take some frost but I wasn't willing to test how much).

Next warm day I climb into my pond to pull my water lilies (we should get a couple of warm days yet.....).

Mirabel Osler
Old October 9, 2009   #38
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Now at another site Texans were asking that I not be greedy and to send my cold down (they are truly desperate to break that dome of heat). So I've got my wind turbines facing their direction (belated warning to those immediately below.....I hope y'all have stripped your tomatoes yesterday )

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; October 9, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old October 9, 2009   #39
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

ooooooops double post. :S

Mirabel Osler
Old October 9, 2009   #40
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Its been raining here the last few days, but its been so cold, if it wasnt for the rain, we no doubt would have had frost again.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2009   #41
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default spelling

Thanks Lilypon! The cold is due to arrive here just after midnight. Been picking a few yesterday and today. Only a high of 35 tomorrow - much, much cooler than normal. A very light frost about a week ago 'touched' my sweet potato vines (ornamental). Harvested the last of the zucchini, peppers, eggplants, brought in the neck pumpkins, picked the last of the zinnias. This is fairly early for us - plus I have a bit of a micro environment here so my garden can usually handle several good frosts before the BIG one. So far, October has been really nasty with very high winds - 40 mph and very cool. No Indian summer yet. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2009   #42
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Oooooooooops

Well I have to admit earlier today it looked like this:

And then my turbines went into overdrive :

Sorry Piegirl

I must admit its strange to see our trees still full of leaves (they hadn't changed colour yet) and now they are frozen solid and covered with snow. Pic taken this afternoon

Our streets have black ice and a loverly north wind is a blowin (its truly gonna get cold down there).

Here's hoping we all get that Indian Summer!

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; October 10, 2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old October 10, 2009   #43
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

OK Lilypon - you can turn your wind turbine OFF - please. We have about 1 1/2" of SNOW on the ground and it is 27 degrees. OUCHHH! No micro-environment could save anything last night. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2009   #44
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Okay somebody down there fed it and now its turned into something I didn't release (we haven't even seen that shade of turquoise blue up here yet) .....blame it on the Texans (at a weather forum site they asked me for it)

Already converted into Americanese:
Currently here 24°F
This afternoon:
32 F

On Friday October 16th 45°F expected. (trying hard to give you hope here Piegirl!

Mirabel Osler
Old October 11, 2009   #45
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Sat morning we had another frost and us farmers were slow setting up at the market as the temps were still right around freezing at 6 AM. Frost isn't all that unusual for my area about now.

But this morning it was 26* at 6 AM and even a couple of tomato plants in my unheated greenhouse died. This is the earliest it's been THIS cold around here that I know of. The forecast is for 29* tonite too.

We still have a lot of winter squash out in the fields we didn't have a chance to get picked up. I don't think there will be a whole lot worth picking up now. They were so slow to ripen this year.

There were a whole lot of jokes about "global warming" at the market yesterday. With our late cool spring, non-existant summer and now early cold, no one around here thinks our part of the world is getting warmer.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote