Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2008   #1
KKinAL
Tomatovillian™

Default opinions on Tropic tomato?

I am growing Tropic for the 1st time--any opinions on taste, etc.? So far the plant is REALLY healthy & full. Even pulling off most of the suckers, I can't even see to the inside of the plant. (my 1st plant to produce little tomatoes is Gary O' Sena--it is also the largest plant & the flowers are HUGE!) I can't wait!
KKinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008   #2
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Tropic several times and it did very well for me. I would rate the taste about an 8. The texture is not as good as some tomatoes due to thicker skin and inner walls. It definitely lived up to it's name when we had very hot summers. It is also one of the varieties my daughter likes to grow every year. The growth habit is a little unusual. It is indeterminate but gets almost as thick as a dwarf type. I will probably grow it again at some point, especially if this 100 degrees every day in August thing starts to be a trend.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008   #3
KKinAL
Tomatovillian™

thanks so much--I appreciate it! how big were the tomatoes for you?
KKinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #4
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

They ran about 8-12 oz.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

I have always wondered about this variety. I may try it for a fall tomato. Tomatoguy, you say they set well in high heat?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2009   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKinAL View Post
I am growing Tropic for the 1st time--any opinions on taste, etc.? So far the plant is REALLY healthy & full. Even pulling off most of the suckers, I can't even see to the inside of the plant. (my 1st plant to produce little tomatoes is Gary O' Sena--it is also the largest plant & the flowers are HUGE!) I can't wait!
I'm a new member and have been searching this thread for any information on toms that might do well in lower Al. I know you are 200 miles north of me but still fairly close weather wise. How did your Tropic turn out and Gary O' Sena? After thirty years I only have a few that have been dependable for multiple years. They are: Big Beef, Cabernet, Floralina, Steak Sandwich, Brandy Boy, Celebrity and Small Fry.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2009   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I grow Tropic every year. It's not the best tasting tomato, but it's a reliable producer under tough conditions.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote