Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 5, 2011   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Mike, I hate to hear that. I'm pretty sure I dodged the bullet. I'll know more in the next day or two. The temp dipped down to 36F just as the sun came up, but I didn't find any ice anywhere. With a hose and nosel, I sprayed some water on the plants as the dew was forming and kept that up until the temp made it back to 39. The heat given off from the 65F degree water may have been the difference.

My conclusion on this experience was that spraying water as the dew forms will definitely make a difference if the temp is going to be "borderline" frosty.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice and/or comforting words of support/empathy.

Now it's time to get those four big tomato plants back in the ground and add some friends to keep them company. Yes, it's my time to load up the garden.

Y'all take care. I need a nap.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011   #17
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I too have saved stuff, mainly in fall, by turning on the sprinklers. But the others are right, you need to keep them on til any ice that may have formed on the plants is washed off or melts off. Otherwise it's all for nothing.

That fog you saw WAS your lifesaver.

A few years back we had a late planting of zucchini just coming into production when we had a moderately early frost forecast. We had the time to set up the big aluminum pipes and sprinklers on about 2 acres just above our pond. I set the alarm for 1AM and checked every hour til I think 4 AM when I went down to the pond to start the tractor that runs the pump. It WAS cold that morning but by sun up, there was a nice fog hanging in the hollow of that field. It really look strange because it was rather isolated. But it saved the zucchini. And sometimes winter squash and zucchini seem to die if you just mention the word frost around them.

I know what you mean about the nap too. A watchful nite can be a drain on your system, but it can make the dif between a garden or starting over.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

This morning, I found that a few leaves in the beans had evidence of freezing. It is very spotty and has less than 1% of the foliage involved. And, it only involves the Blue Lake plants. The White Half Runners and the Peanut beans have no damage at all. The potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, turnips, radishes, and peas appear to have skated thru. The tomatoes are back in the ground and did well in the garage.

Thanks again to everyone.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #19
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I live in a very cold valley compared to the surrounding area and can't trust the weather forecast... two weeks ago I lost a few beans and a few leaves on the squash plants.. even after putting dry straw on them... its always so scarey this time of year ... its actually warm enough that my okra is about 2in tall and lost 10 or 12 of them.