Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2016   #16
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I tasted some fruits today that fell of the plant a week or two ago. They were sweeter and more fruity than the ones I ate the same day they fell off. I'd even go so far as to call them pleasant.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #17
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Promising, particularly in the context of your taste tests of standard varieties!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #18
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Another accession of Solanum habrochaites. The stigma is not exerted, but what a glorious floral display!!! The flowers in the background are S. peruvianum. They close at night, and since this photo was taken in early morning, they hadn't opened up yet for the day.

Old July 10, 2016   #19
joseph
Tomatovillian™

A couple of accessions of Solanum habrochaites have huge dramatic leaves. The one from this group that started flowering about 2 weeks ago didn't set fruits. So it seems to be self-incompatible, only problem is, that the stigma does not extend past the end of the anther cone... I'm wondering if that's something that happened in captivity?

Solanum habrochaites:

Huge leaves:
Old July 28, 2016   #20
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Here's what a row of Solanum habrochaites looked like a couple days ago. The hoe is for scale. The plants are growing upright without staking.

And a flower from yesterday:
Old July 28, 2016   #21
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
A couple of accessions of Solanum habrochaites have huge dramatic leaves. The one from this group that started flowering about 2 weeks ago didn't set fruits. So it seems to be self-incompatible, only problem is, that the stigma does not extend past the end of the anther cone... I'm wondering if that's something that happened in captivity?
That would seem maladaptive in the wild, since it would interfere with pollination and fruit set.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #22
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Fruit set has been very low... Only 2 of the 3 accessions are currently flowering. No way to know how closely related the accessions are within themselves, or between themselves. There are a few fruits, so for this year, I'll take what I can get. I aught to go examine the flowers more closely, and mark those with more exerted stigmas, if any...
Old July 29, 2016   #23
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Great photos.
I wonder why your fruit set had been low.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #24
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The smell of the foliage of S. Habrochaites is what gets me the most. I tasted the fruit a few times over the last 5 years and would put them down as inedible just after harvest. If you want to try something interesting, put a few mature berries in a cup in a refrigerator and leave them for a month or so. Let them warm to room temp before eating.

Do you see enhanced cold tolerance in S. Habrochaites?

Have you grown LA2175?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #25
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown LA2175.

I subjected 34 varieties of tomatoes to frost tolerance tests this spring, including two accessions of Solanum habrochaites. Eight varieties survived the most rigorous conditions, including both accessions of S. habrochaites. An accession of S. peruvianum, also survived the most rigorous conditions.

Last edited by joseph; July 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Add photo.
Old August 7, 2016   #26
joseph
Tomatovillian™

These are wild tomatoes that survived the frost/cold tolerance test this spring. From right to left they are Solanum peruvianum, S. habrochaites, S. peruvianum, and S. habrochaites. S.habrochaites has the big leaves... The S. habrochaites, LYC 2885, on the far left has very brittle stems, so I keep breaking them off when trying to weave them around the fencing.

Old September 19, 2016   #27
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Today, I harvested a handful of Solanum habrochaites fruits. They sure are hairy! Fruit set turned out to be great: after there were enough flowers in the patch to attract lots of pollinators.

Last edited by joseph; September 19, 2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old October 25, 2016   #28
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Some of the plants which are F1 crosses between domestic tomatoes (mothers) and LA 1777, Solanum habrochaites (pollen donor) are currently flowering and setting fruit.

Dominant traits that I'm observing are:

Habrochaites type leaves. (from habrochaites)
Stigma inside anther cone. (from domestic)
Huge flower petals. (from habrochaites)
Green stripes on fruits. (from habrochaites)
Orange anther cone. (from habrochaites)
Hairy fruits. (from habrochaites)

Here's what some of the fruits look like from the F1 interspecies hybrid.

Last edited by joseph; October 25, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old October 28, 2016   #29
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Some of the plants which are F1 crosses between domestic tomatoes (mothers) and LA 1777, Solanum habrochaites (pollen donor) are currently flowering and setting fruit.

Dominant traits that I'm observing are:

Habrochaites type leaves. (from habrochaites)
Stigma inside anther cone. (from domestic)
Huge flower petals. (from habrochaites)
Green stripes on fruits. (from habrochaites)
Orange anther cone. (from habrochaites)
Hairy fruits. (from habrochaites)

Here's what some of the fruits look like from the F1 interspecies hybrid.
How cool! Can you please describe other differences between the hybrid and parental lines? I mean stuff like(in comparison with parents) vigor,number of flowers/truss,fruit size and set,size of plant organs(leaves,stems etc.) and size of the entire plant in general.I'm planning a few crosses with the wild species myself and I'm gathering as much info as possible.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2016   #30
joseph
Tomatovillian™

StrongPlant: All bets are off regarding things like plant vigor. I grew the hybrids in a too hot greenhouse in August, and they are still in it in October when it's barely above freezing and the days are super short and cloudy. I didn't grow mother-varieties as controls, so I can't offer many details about how the hybrids compare to the mothers. However, with that said, the vigor of [Fern X LA1777] seemed very low starting out, so I replanted. They seem to be growing fine now, as do the others. They are comparable in size, and shape to LA1777. By fine, I mean fine considering who the farmer is, and how they are being treated. It's looking like they will make seeds, which is the point of the project.

Flowers per truss on the hybrids is 6 to 7. It's 10 on LA1777.

Fruit set is 50% on the hybrids, and about 10% on LA1777. I have been buzz pollinating the hybrids, and using pollen from them to try to pollinate LA1777 (and some domestic crosses), but I haven't been doing buzz pollination on LA1777. Today, I tried a new pollination technique: Broke anther cones from the hybrids, and slipped them over the exerted stigmas on LA1777. They can drop/receive pollen as they wish.

LA1777 has stipules. The hybrids don't.

The hybrids have 13 to 16 leaflets per leaf. LA1777 has 15 to 23 leaflets per leaf.

Leaflet shape of the hybrids closely resembles LA1777, regardless of whether the mothers were potato-leaved, fern-leaved, or regular-leaved.

I grew three accessions of Solanum habrochaites this year. Two of them were vigorous upright plants. LA1777 was more wispy and vine-like. If it makes any difference, LA1777 were cuttings from a two year old plant that I overwintered in a south facing window. LA 1777 is also different from the other accessions, because it only has a single stem on the truss. On the other two accession, the truss-stem splits before the first flower, and each half of the truss has 10-ish flowers. The leaves are small on LA1777. They are huge on the other accessions.

Last edited by joseph; October 28, 2016 at 02:51 PM.