Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 16, 2017   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default Woody at stem base

Growing melons for the first time. The variety is Collective Farm Woman, which I chose because it seemed easier and faster than many other melon varieties and a good choice for a beginner melon grower.

The stem right at the base has been turning tan and woody looking. There's no water-soaked tissue around it. No mycelial growth in the soil. Nothing gummy. No swelling or cracking as might happen with a SVB.

The plant is healthy, blooming, and there's no wilting, not even during the heat of the afternoon.

Is this normal? Or is it indicative of a disease?

I'll get a picture tomorrow if needed.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

My cantaloupe did that. Keep some DE and Capt Jacks powder around the base on the soil and up the stem about 6" or so to help keep the bad borers away. I had only one cantaloupe plant and didn't lose it to any borers.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #3
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I spray the bottom of my cucurbit plants religiously with spinosad or BT during July.

I haven't seen ANY svbs this year so far, nor any eggs. I scout for the eggs daily. It's actually making me a little nervous that I haven't seen anything yet, which is silly.

I did sow very late, so maybe the SVBs are off attacking other plants in the area that are further along.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote