Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 16, 2007   #1
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Default Anybody growing my SunPlum or others?

I'm continuing this same line and now it's somewhere around F5/F6. Here's my official description and I'm standing by it, no fibbing, no white lies:

"One of my SunPlums, sent to Australia to grow out; placed 3rd overall in their Rutherglen TasteFest among 30+ other well known varieties, beating Red Brandywine, Sungold, Cherokee Purple, Green Grape, Prue, Omar's Lebanese, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Heatherington Pink, Lucky Cross & Black Cherry."

I took the score sheet and I believe the score was higher that year than all the varieties I listed in the description. For me, I haven't had a chance to grow mass plantings of it and it has always been regular leaves, clusters are wide, like a V or leaf rake instead of dual alternating rows like many cherries exhibit.

Anyway, I planted 10 seeds and 9 sprouted. They just are getting their true leaves and I believe 3 are potato leaf!

Anybody else have any results so far?

Thanks.

P.S. SunPlum was originally from F2 Sungold seeds x F2 Juliet male pollen.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2007   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

I hope someone does grow it as it sounds like a great variety (and PL - wow; is it possible that one of the parents of SUngold or Juliet was a PL tomato?).

Are these seeds available for grow outs? Are you planning to release it when it is stable?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2007   #3
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I'm not growing it.. but from the photo you posted and from your description and its heritage, I WISH I was growing it..

I'd like to mirror Tania's sentiment.. do you have seeds you're willing to share?
Old April 17, 2007   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Sun Plum

I grew the F4 last fall and got small tasty orange plums as well as some round not so tasty pale orange fruit. It froze before I could save any seed. I will plant two plants in my fall garden this year.

MikeInCypress
Old April 19, 2007   #5
korney19

OK, I counted wrong but 3 are definitely potato leaf. The ninth was too small and a late sprouter so I plucked it before it had true leaves. So 3 PL & 5 RL.

Mike, thanks for your reply. I think I sent you enough seeds, when you start them, try starting 10 to get a percentage # easier to calculate and I'll send you more from this year's harvest before your '08 spring planting. See how many if any are PL.

Eric & Tatiana, PM me your intentions on when you'd be growing them--if now or later in the year or next year. The fastest way may be SASE because I have a physical/logistics problem getting into the post office unless you can wait til I get someone to get stamps if I'm out of them. My other option would be sending an 80yr old mother with Dementia/Alzheimers into the P.O., which can be an adventure in itself.

I find it interesting to get a PL out of it too, and wonder if PL is in one of the original parents. I've grown Sungold to F3 and Juliet to F2 and never seen PL. Maybe someone like Keith can add something about this. I can't think they'd be crossed seeds because PL being recessive would need two contributors to show PL "aa" trait. It's somewhat ironic too, because a third of my grow list this season is made up of Bill's/Spudleaf's PL versions of many known varieties--Spudatula, Spudokee Purple, etc.

Mark
Old April 19, 2007   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

You have a PM, Mark.
Old April 19, 2007   #7
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

Thanks for the offer - I'd love to grow it, but not this year (too late for my zone). Perhaps I can ping you later in the fall? I could help to grow out quite a few plants...

Cheers,

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2007   #8
korney19

OK, just let me know when you're ready.

I understand your timetable. As an unrelated sidenote, one of the F generations Patrina actually had ripen in 48 or 50 days but will have to check my notes. I'll find some other interesting varieties to include by the time you're ready.

Eric, since you like cherries, if you're up to a challenge, remind me to include "Nipples." It's a cross of two very high Brix varieties, Riesentraube and L. cheesmanii.

The challenge part is that twice I tried to get them to germinate but had no luck yet so put them on the back-burner for now.

Old April 20, 2007   #9
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Yeah.. that 'nipples' variety sounds interesting. I would imagine the cluster arrangement should be quite interesting as well. Send 'em my way!
Old April 20, 2007   #10
peispud
Tomatovillian™

Mark
I would love to try both SunPlum and Nipples and any others next season.
Too many on the go now and I'm not sure that I can handle what I have [Head injury on Sunday, fell 45 feet and got knocked out when my head hit a stump. Landed face-down in 4 inches of water on the side of the river but I don't even remember being wet. Two CAT scans and they say my brain is still normal but swollen If I move fast the whole world spins!]

Peter
peispud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007   #11
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by peispud View Post
Mark
I would love to try both SunPlum and Nipples and any others next season.
Too many on the go now and I'm not sure that I can handle what I have [Head injury on Sunday, fell 45 feet and got knocked out when my head hit a stump. Landed face-down in 4 inches of water on the side of the river but I don't even remember being wet. Two CAT scans and they say my brain is still normal but swollen If I move fast the whole world spins!]

Peter
Peter, you need to cut back on tomatoes and find a way to grow Lortabs!

OK, we'll figure something out for next season, contact me in a few months for next generation seeds.
Old April 20, 2007   #12
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcm05 View Post
Mark, If you're looking for additional people to help you grow it out, I could still fit it into this summer's garden here in CT. It sounds very interesting.
John, I'll PM you my address--I don't have a problem getting them mailed OUT quickly but I have a problem getting INTO the post office to get stamps, it may be a while and SASE may be faster...
Old April 20, 2007   #13
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Default sunplums

Mark - I grew them the last two years but not this year as I accidentally let the seed over-ferment (by a couple of weeks!)
Really liked the color - lovely orange, shape - elongated almst pear, and crisp taste. Somewhere lost in my computer is a picture of them - maybe next winter I'll have time to find it!
Robbins
Also - can't remember - what does Marizol Korney look like? I was transplanting some today and came up with a total blank about looks and color and taste. Help! The brain is going...........
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2007   #14
korney19

Robbins (and others):

Robbins, I think I sent you Korney's Cross, maybe F4 or so, to grow out for me & send me back some seeds. I may have sent Marizol Korney too and maybe even Marizol Maroon.

I'll try to post pics of most here, then maybe Suze or someone can change the title of the thread to "Anybody growing my SunPlum or others?"

I'll have to look for all the SunPlums but will post what pics I can find.

SUNPLUM. This one was the F1:

Some of the F2's Patrina grew in '04 had long fruit, round fruit, nipples, bellybuttons, etc.

Here's one of the F3 versions:

Here's Korney's Cross F1:

F2 there were a few different shapes:

John/Skipper grew some F versions between then & 2006 that gave black fruits and the F5 last year from those seeds offspring were these:

Marizol Korney is a potato leaf. It is similar to Eva Purple Ball in size and speckling/mottling, kinda like a speckling overcast like metallic paint's silver or pearl paint's mica. Automotive oriented guys will know I mean.

Sorry about the dents in these, they were sitting in a webbed flat.

This bunch was harvested 8/10 from a raised bed planting around 6/1-6/4:

MARIZOL MAROON (RL):

Korney's Jelly Bean was a selection of a specific fruit form found on 1 branch/cluster of a Spoon plant. You can see the difference between Spoon and KJB. KJB is a.k.a. Perry's Cherry, in dedication to Perry the tomato-growin' biker from another group, who lost his life in a motorcycle accident.

CHEROKEE BI-COLOR is actually a cross of Cherokee Green and I believe a popular large yellow in Carolyn's book. Too bad Keith's not around--this one may hold the key to understanding the how/why questions of bi-colors. Seeds will be F2.

KELLOGG'S WEST VIRGINIA (will have to check records but somewhere around F4-F5) is one of the parents used for Doc in the Dwarf project. It's name is a play on words of the two parents, Kellogg's Breakfast and Aker's West Virginia. It often has a starburst color on the bottom.

Here's a 2006 pic of one line:

KORNEY'S XXX, from a planting of Kornesevvsije:

And here are 2 teaser pics for now, a dime-sized beefsteak from a dwarf variegated plant I'm working on:

....And a green, striped Potato Leaf Dwarf with white flowers and hairless vines/branches...

I've already posted pics of Nipples, a hi-brix multiflora cheesmanii cross.

That's all for now. Hope this has answered many people's questions.

Maybe my mentor Tom Wagner can post some pics--that would make my day!
Old April 21, 2007   #15
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

The SASE has been addressed, stamped and sealed... will go out tomorrow