Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2017   #31
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have had BER on elongated cherries as well like Juliette and Green Tiger. GT was minimal but Juliette was pretty severe. I'm checking daily now for BER because it really strikes fear in my heart when it starts. So far nothing but taking nothing for granted.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #32
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I pulled this off of one of my Anna Russian plants today.

And my other AR plant has one as well, but that one is much larger, so I'm debating leaving it on and hoping the BER stays dry.

Granted, the 2 plants are producing magnificent, large, perfect, unblemished hearts in more than satisfactory quantities (still green, though, *impatient sigh*), so it's not that huge a loss, and it really looks like it's only 1 fruit on each plant.
Still ...some how if only a fruit ...or two ... ok then

But one doesn't like to look at such "potential" lost ...etc.

I guess if one has real productive plants ...and the first one/two are BER

that maybe should be looked as the "deal " when growing certain varieties and Just appreciate the good production that follows etc.
Old July 22, 2017   #33
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I have had BER on elongated cherries as well like Juliette and Green Tiger. GT was minimal but Juliette was pretty severe. I'm checking daily now for BER because it really strikes fear in my heart when it starts. So far nothing but taking nothing for granted.
I hate to say it but ...but in my environment .....

Juliet (hybrid) never had BER ...etc.

after the info. said here I think the elongated ones , sausage shape, pepper shape , etc. etc. .....I would be very cautious to try if BER was a concern .

Old July 22, 2017   #34
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Still ...some how if only a fruit ...or two ... ok then

But one doesn't like to look at such "potential" lost ...etc.

I guess if one has real productive plants ...and the first one/two are BER

that maybe should be looked as the "deal " when growing certain varieties and Just appreciate the good production that follows etc.
I think any tomato plant is capable of having BER given certain conditions or just as a fluke.

One fruit on a plant is not something I'd categorize as a variety with a BER problem.

I'm not looking for something that will never get me BER. I'm looking for something that produces a lot of usable fruit that tastes great. If there's some BER but production of usable fruit is excellent, then the BER is not a problem. There are probably plants that for all practical purposes can be declared "never BER" but they may be less worth growing because of lesser yield or less delightful flavor.

It's just not a deciding factor for me unless the variety has a true BER problem, i.e., I feel like I'm losing a lot of production and putting a lot of time and effort into unusable tomatoes.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #35
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I think any tomato plant is capable of having BER given certain conditions or just as a fluke.

One fruit on a plant is not something I'd categorize as a variety with a BER problem.

I'm not looking for something that will never get me BER. I'm looking for something that produces a lot of usable fruit that tastes great. If there's some BER but production of usable fruit is excellent, then the BER is not a problem. There are probably plants that for all practical purposes can be declared "never BER" but they may be less worth growing because of lesser yield or less delightful flavor.

It's just not a deciding factor for me unless the variety has a true BER problem, i.e., I feel like I'm losing a lot of production and putting a lot of time and effort into unusable tomatoes.
I agree ....still I would explore less chance of BER and choices and trade offs it would mean .
Old July 22, 2017   #36
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I am surprised to see no signs whatsoever of BER this year, since I'm growing about 40 different varieties. I don't know if I should credit the weather (lots and lots of rain, seasonal temperatures without sustained heatwaves) or the Tomato Texas Food. I was initially skeptical of the company's claim that it helps prevent BER, but even the pastes and piriforms look good...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #37
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Some varietie are well known to be prone to BER. But I don't think there is BER free variety, because it depends on the conditions, notably soil moisture. If it goes from boom to bust then most will get BER. That is what I have experienced this season.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #38
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

so stable ...(not cold to record heat and back again etc.) and moderate

temps and moderate rate growing conditions helps the BER susceptible plants keep the fruit growth stress in sync. with the overall plant (roots and foliage ) ???

I guess the nature of attempting to grow in containers will stress some varieties ... and out will pop some BER due to the container growing stress ?
Old July 24, 2017   #39
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
so stable ...(not cold to record heat and back again etc.) and moderate

temps and moderate rate growing conditions helps the BER susceptible plants keep the fruit growth stress in sync. with the overall plant (roots and foliage ) ???

I guess the nature of attempting to grow in containers will stress some varieties ... and out will pop some BER due to the container growing stress ?
Indeed.. For me, adding a drip system with timer has not only been a big time saver but reduced my BER to zero. Granted, what I am growing mostly in my container patio garden are cherries, sun gold, maglia rosa, and my main slicing, canning tomato -Bushsteak hybrid. The Bushsteak is a consistent strong producer. It also happens to be an early producing determinate which may be an asset in preventing BER. Avoiding stress (drying out) is the key.
Old July 24, 2017   #40
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Black Bear said

Paul Robeson, container grown, is the most BER prone plant I have seen, so far. I have tossed at least 5 with it and see one more with a spot. Fortunately, it also seems a prolific producer and has many replacements. Such a waste of growing time and ferts. PR did well in the ground in a hot year on Gabriola, not far from you, Bear.

I know, does not answer your question but it may help someone else. I will try it again sometime, maybe, but in a larger pot.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #41
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
Indeed.. For me, adding a drip system with timer has not only been a big time saver but reduced my BER to zero. Granted, what I am growing mostly in my container patio garden are cherries, sun gold, maglia rosa, and my main slicing, canning tomato -Bushsteak hybrid. The Bushsteak is a consistent strong producer. It also happens to be an early producing determinate which may be an asset in preventing BER. Avoiding stress (drying out) is the key.
I am so behind in my ..."drip installation "....looks like fall chores for 2018

growing season ....LOL
Old July 24, 2017   #42
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Black Bear said

Paul Robeson, container grown, is the most BER prone plant I have seen, so far. I have tossed at least 5 with it and see one more with a spot. Fortunately, it also seems a prolific producer and has many replacements. Such a waste of growing time and ferts. PR did well in the ground in a hot year on Gabriola, not far from you, Bear.

I know, does not answer your question but it may help someone else. I will try it again sometime, maybe, but in a larger pot.
I am growing Boronia ...which is a PR/ new big dwarf development

in 7 gallon containers this year ......me loves it so far !

No BER !
Old July 25, 2017   #43
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I grew Boronia last year, in an Earthbox with one companion. .Drip on a timer, mostly 2 gallon per hour emitters, maybe 20 minutes twice a day. I found the adjustable 360 emitters even better, since I could adjust the amount of water over the seasons. No BER that I can recall.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 25, 2017 at 01:53 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #44
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I grew Boronia last year, in an Earthbox with one companion. .Drip on a timer, mostly 2 gallon per hour emitters, maybe 20 minutes twice a day. I found the adjustable 360 emitters even better, since I could adjust the amount of water over the seasons. No BER that I can recall.
and fruit so many and heavy plants did fall over ..even with wire cages etc.

Just in 5 gallons last year .... ! Great taste etc. etc.

Now in 7 gallons this year ..
Old July 25, 2017   #45
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

I'm also facing more problems with BER than I've ever had before. The first two ripe tomatoes had BER, I've noticed BER tomatoes on my Vorlon, Burracker's Favorite and Uluru Ochre plants.

I even have BER peppers.

I've been watering regularly, so hoping that this depends on a calcium deficiency I sprayed some calcium last week and will do it again in a week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170721_17_33_10_Pro.jpg (277.9 KB, 29 views)
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote