Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 16, 2020   #1
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Default My Aussie Season Kicks Off

I planted my tomato plants today, as we have some great weather coming in the next week. I'm only growing 30 plants, of which 12 are a cross I'm hoping to get something nice from. (Pollen from Sweet Ozark Orange on a red Romanian tomato)

Most sporting two blossom bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200916_111537765 (Medium).jpg (282.0 KB, 117 views)
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2020   #2
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Definitely showing the advantage of the early start you gave them Mcsee. My plants sown last weekend in July as per normal are only 6 inches /15 cm high at best.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2020   #3
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Woz. Plenty of size with these, had to bury deep too.
Old September 16, 2020   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful big plants already! Have a great season and good luck with your cross too
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2020   #5
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen.

Fingers crossed.
Old September 16, 2020   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Look good; your plants are really large. How large were the containers you had them in before planting out?

My season is starting too (Florida). I've planted out a few already and they've grown a lot already.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2020   #7
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Looking Good there Mate and Hope you have a Great Season ..
My old plants are getting pulled outand the newly planted seedling looking a tad sorry for themselves ..
Might have to pull all out and let the soil rest up a tad..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2020   #8
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Look good; your plants are really large. How large were the containers you had them in before planting out?

My season is starting too (Florida). I've planted out a few already and they've grown a lot already.

Hi Barb,
My plants were in 6" pots before plant out. They average 50-70cm (18"-24") in the ground, most with third truss showing.

mcsee
Old September 16, 2020   #9
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Looking Good there Mate and Hope you have a Great Season ..

Thanks mate. Good luck Volvo - with whatever you decide to do.
Old September 17, 2020   #10
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Great start and i am jealous.

I started my seeds early this year, using seed raising mixture and almost all of them are stunted and yellowing.

It seems like whatever i do SOMETHING goes wrong.... even when i plan far ahead.
I get stuck in a headspace between infuriated and demoralized, it never ends....

I will keep going though, i will figure everything out sooner or later or will die trying.

You guys who are experienced and get great results will keep me motivated and believing.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020   #11
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Great start and i am jealous.

I started my seeds early this year, using seed raising mixture and almost all of them are stunted and yellowing.

It seems like whatever i do SOMETHING goes wrong.... even when i plan far ahead.
I get stuck in a headspace between infuriated and demoralized, it never ends....

I will keep going though, i will figure everything out sooner or later or will die trying.

You guys who are experienced and get great results will keep me motivated and believing.

Keep plodding along Mate happens that way sometimes but all falls into place later on , ive had that problem on n off but still enjoy getting my hands full of soil n dirty.
Part of the fun..
And Your Better Best
Old September 18, 2020   #12
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Keep plodding along Mate happens that way sometimes but all falls into place later on , ive had that problem on n off but still enjoy getting my hands full of soil n dirty.
Part of the fun..
Thanks Volvo.

I decided to mix a fresh bag of seed raising mix with perlite and repot half of my seedlings.
I have 2 plants of each variety, so i left 1 of each variety alone and 1 of each in a different mix to hedge my bets and see which ones grow better going forward.

If i'm going to get disappointed again i might as well experiment a little, and i'm starting more seeds as well.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2020   #13
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Volvo.

I decided to mix a fresh bag of seed raising mix with perlite and repot half of my seedlings.
I have 2 plants of each variety, so i left 1 of each variety alone and 1 of each in a different mix to hedge my bets and see which ones grow better going forward.

If i'm going to get disappointed again i might as well experiment a little, and i'm starting more seeds as well.

Dont know what it is with Seed Raising Mix this year although most the seeds rear the little heads okay but they dont want to last the distance and grow nice n healthy till plantout.
That why ive been seeding mostly in soil block or make my own mixture of soil black mixture with Peat Moss , Pearlite , Bit of Compost , Fertiliser Granules slow release , and maybe a bit of Coco Core (Fine).
Holds together and seedling do well in it .
At least so far they have ..
When to the stage of planting just drop each one in its prepped planting hole with a little Fresh Fish at the bottom of the hole and seems to do the job nicely.
Though this last lot of seedling which some are looking poorly but think thats due to our Council water which evreyone in the neighbourhood thinks it been overclorinated ??..
And Your Better Best
Old September 18, 2020   #14
Nannon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Volvo.

If it makes you feel any better, mine NEVER go to plain either. This year I planted out a little late, which has been exacerbated by the seeds then taking up to a month to germinate! And a lot of them are helmet heads, which has slowed them growing their first set of true leaves and they look so sad, but they are still growing. I just try to remain upbeat and not let it get me down.
Last year I planted out two tomatoes at the “right” time in pots on my balcony and they did nothing but sulk all spring and summer, then produced all autumn and winter?!?! They are still going now! I’m not sure I’ll ever figure a perfect tomato growing method out.
Nannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2020   #15
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

We've just had four cold nights here and the tomato plants are still looking OK. They range in height from 70cm to 90cm and are all bagged ready for a good season, hopefully.

This one I could reach easy to get a photo is 80cm (31 1/2").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-09-29 09.17.17 (Medium).jpg (166.6 KB, 43 views)