Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2013   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Muchamiel

"Hello

I will for the first time be growing a tomato from Spain in 2014:

Is called Muchamiel

Do you know everything about the back ground you can share with us."

Posted by Mrs. Justice
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2013   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Fred!

I did not see that you created this thread to address Joyce's question in Czech tomatoes thread, so I answered it there (hopefully it will not divert the other thread from the topic).

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I've grown it if anyone wants to know what I think of it.

Carolyn
Old November 28, 2013   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like it did not make it to the best 100?
LOL

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old November 28, 2013   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

What did you think of it, Carolyn?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Fred, I stopped answering b'c I thought I heard a car in my driveway, bringing me T-day dimner, but I was wrong. I remembered that Joyce had asked about it in the Czech thread so went back there first and posted the following.

&&&&
No, it's not a Czech variety and I just posted in Fred's thread as well, and said I'd grown it, but that's all.

The Spanish people prefer varieties that are eaten underripe, most have prominent green shoulders and even when ripe are tart.

All to say that I wouldn't grow it again.

I've grown several varieties from Spain and all the ones I've grown have followed the same pattern as this one, that is, way too tart for me.

I'm sure there are others that are better, but I haven't been growing any others from Spain recently.

Carolyn, waiting for delivery of her T-Day dinner, home cooked by the parents of Angie, who does her grocery shopping for her.

Tania, adding that no, not the top 100, try top 3,000 and you'd get closer . Raf was another one I grew as well as Montserrat, all about the same as to tastes I do not like. When I was in Spain and ate in restaurants it was about the same, and I had no opportunity to get in the rural areas since I was on a planned tour on that trip which took me to Portugal and Morroco. Really exciting when staying in Fez in Morroco b;c when I came down in the AM for breakfast there were these red velvet ropes preventing access. When I and others asked about it we were told that last night there had been an assasination and they were trying to get all the blood off the carpets.
Old November 28, 2013   #8
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Tart tomato... mmmmm... I may like it, mixed with sweeter tomato varieties in a large salad bowl!

Must be good for sauce too.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old November 29, 2013   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Tart tomatoes -- must remember these for the questions from people from India who also like tart varieties.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2013   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Tart tomatoes -- must remember these for the questions from people from India who also like tart varieties.

Carol
Correct Carol.

A neighbor where I used to grow at the farm had a son who was doing something in India and I asked his mom to ask him if he could bring me back seeds for several varieties. He did, and they were all OP's in commercial packs.

I grew them all, I'm sure if I went to Tania's page with ones from India I'd remember them, but yes, very very tart. and not to my liking at all.

I find it interesting that folks in different countries do prefer certain tastes when it comes to tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old November 29, 2013   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Home made curry sauce made from tart tomatoes is heavenly!

I have been in India many times (in Bangalore and Mambai areas), and I love food there - both the spiciness and flavors.

I will be growing a couple of varieties this year that I brought from Bangalore a few years back.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old November 29, 2013   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Home made curry sauce made from tart tomatoes is heavenly!

I have been in India many times (in Bangalore and Mambai areas), and I love food there - both the spiciness and flavors.

I will be growing a couple of varieties this year that I brought from Bangalore a few years back.

Tatiana
I haven't been in India, but LOVE Indian food, especially the curries.

The wife of my Ph.D professor was from India and I was invited to their home many times, and that's where my first exposure to Indian cuisine first started.

Methinks I'll go to your page of Indian varieties and see what I might be able to ID, as to thoe ones that I grew that were given to me. I SSE listed all of them since what I don't like others might like, and so it goes.

Carolyn
Old December 3, 2013   #13
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
"Hello

I will for the first time be growing a tomato from Spain in 2014:

Is called Muchamiel

Do you know everything about the back ground you can share with us."

Posted by Mrs. Justice
Dear "Fred Hempel"
Thank you so much for posting the information here about the Muchemiel Tomatoes.

I get too excite over my tomatoes: I will be starting the Muchemiel Tomatoes Next week in the green house.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013   #14
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Fred, I stopped answering b'c I thought I heard a car in my driveway, bringing me T-day dimner, but I was wrong. I remembered that Joyce had asked about it in the Czech thread so went back there first and posted the following.

&&&&
No, it's not a Czech variety and I just posted in Fred's thread as well, and said I'd grown it, but that's all.

The Spanish people prefer varieties that are eaten underripe, most have prominent green shoulders and even when ripe are tart.

All to say that I wouldn't grow it again.

I've grown several varieties from Spain and all the ones I've grown have followed the same pattern as this one, that is, way too tart for me.

I'm sure there are others that are better, but I haven't been growing any others from Spain recently.

Carolyn, waiting for delivery of her T-Day dinner, home cooked by the parents of Angie, who does her grocery shopping for her.

Tania, adding that no, not the top 100, try top 3,000 and you'd get closer . Raf was another one I grew as well as Montserrat, all about the same as to tastes I do not like. When I was in Spain and ate in restaurants it was about the same, and I had no opportunity to get in the rural areas since I was on a planned tour on that trip which took me to Portugal and Morroco. Really exciting when staying in Fez in Morroco b;c when I came down in the AM for breakfast there were these red velvet ropes preventing access. When I and others asked about it we were told that last night there had been an assasination and they were trying to get all the blood off the carpets.
This is very exciting because I have never tasted a tart tomato before. Thank for the history. I would like to send you some seeds next year to include in your seeds giveaway to get other people reaction to the tart taste.
Old December 3, 2013   #15
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Tart tomato... mmmmm... I may like it, mixed with sweeter tomato varieties in a large salad bowl!

Must be good for sauce too.
Thanks Tania for the information. I cannot wait to eat a "ripe tart tomato".