Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2007   #16
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Earl, thanks. I have both on next years grow list. A kind soul north of the border is sending me seeds of both.

Bitwise, thanks, I've added both to my list.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2007   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Given that sweetness is in the mouth of the beholder, here are a few that I think are sweet:

Pink Sweet
Gogosha, PL
Sandul Moldovan
Eva Purple Ball
Ashleigh
OTV Brandywine, PL
Tsar of Bells, pink heart ( new one, will be listing)
Scott's Heart, new, pink ( tentative name, will be listing)
Brianna, pink PL
Bulgarian #7
Large Pink Bulgarian
Omar's Lebanese

....for starters, some new, some old. Can rate them on sweetness if you wish.
Old September 9, 2007   #18
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thanks for the sweet suggestions But, I don't see any chocolate on the list
Old September 9, 2007   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
Carolyn, thanks for the sweet suggestions But, I don't see any chocolate on the list

Correct

My dark bittersweet chocolate stash is to my right on the floor in a large box. I've been accessing it almost daily while the US Tennis Open has been on.

But I'm down one large bar of Scharfen Berger for the following amusing reason.

Last year Richard, my surgeon, told me that at the duty free shop on the Canadian border that he and his son come back through from fishing in Nova Scotia that they had some choco with 95% cacao and I didn't believe him.

But thanks to online tomato friends one good friend is Barkeater who just happens to work as a Customs Agent, which many folks already know b'c at least at GW he was always being asked about what's legal and what isn't, re border veggies, fruits and seeds, so I emed Bark and asked him to look into it.

OK, he found these Lindt bars with 99% cacao and sent me down three bars.

I proudly presented one of those to Richard and I nibbled at the other one and just found the third one hidden away yesterday.

I have never in my life eaten such horrible chocolate. Tasted like sour mud, toe punk,something that died in the fridge, I think you get the picture.

Of course I claimed being the winner b'c there was no 95%, just the 99% and of course the regular Lindt Excellence bars at a lower cacao content were also at the duty free shop.

So I thought I'd make up for it and took some thank you gifts to Richard and his PA Rich who did all the followup after I got home from rehab, and since Richard is one of the most aggressively competetive persons I've ever met I know how much he hates to lose any contest, any bet, and anything.

So I gave him my only large bar of Sharfen Berger, well I left it for him b'c he had a full schedule and his nurse said I'd have to wait two hours until he was through, and I didn't want to, so left so I could get back to town for Book Club.

So there's your chocolate story for the day.

But I still have:

Becolade from Belgium
Guittard
Merkens
Peters

Thank Heavens. They were out of Valrhona which is one of my faves, so I'll have to reorder soon.
Old September 9, 2007   #20
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, you have to write a book, your 100 favorite chocolates.
Old September 10, 2007   #21
tomatoaddict

Quote:
Tasted like sour mud, toe punk,something that died in the fridge, I think you get the picture.
Toe Punk That was my laugh for the day.
Old September 10, 2007   #22
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

This is one of the best sources for extreme chocolate on the net. www.chocosphere.com. They carry all the finest brands, estate chocolates and in all sizes and shapes. They'll ship during the summer but you pay for the dry ice/special packing.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumierefrere View Post
This is one of the best sources for extreme chocolate on the net. www.chocosphere.com. They carry all the finest brands, estate chocolates and in all sizes and shapes. They'll ship during the summer but you pay for the dry ice/special packing.

Ah ye of little faith, you think I don't know about chocosphere?

Fact is, I get a goodly amount of my eating chocolate from King Arthur Baking Company where the prices are superb. But they've stopped carrying Valrhona, so I have to go elsewhere.

And there's a local place near Albany that I also order from and their prices and choco are excellent; that's Krauses, and I've known Tom Krause and his excellent products for many years. Also local is the Peanut Principle for all sorts of nuts and much more. For either of these two places if I call before noon UPS is here with the stuff the next day. Near the small village where I live there's also an excellent chocolatier but I hate paying Xavier's prices.

Problem is, come about Oct 1st I've decided I have to go back on my diet b'c I want to olose another about 60 lbs by next July 1. That will make a total loss of a bit more than 100#. And towards that end I've been buying some clothes in sizes I aspire to.

But if I want to get something a bit further out, for maybe $6/3 oz bar, then chocosphere is the place.
Old September 10, 2007   #24
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

King Arthur is a wonderful resource. Their own cocoa is fantastic. Makes the perfect brownie if you use the King Arthur On-The Fence Brownie recipe. They also carry every kind of flour you could want or dream of including an equivalent to Italian 00.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote