Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 13, 2011   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default More garden activity and two helpers

Hey all ,

Got more accomplished today. Got five hills of punkins planted today including Winter Luxury,Baby Boo,Jack be Little and Dickinson. Had to little helpers in my 4 year old niece and 2 year old nephew.They planted ( with coaching from me) two hills of Winter Luxury one hill of Baby Boo and one hill of Jack be Little. I planted the Dickinson. Yes pics where taken and will get them posted ASAP.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011   #2
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
Hey all ,

Got more accomplished today. Got five hills of punkins planted today including Winter Luxury,Baby Boo,Jack be Little and Dickinson. Had to little helpers in my 4 year old niece and 2 year old nephew.They planted ( with coaching from me) two hills of Winter Luxury one hill of Baby Boo and one hill of Jack be Little. I planted the Dickinson. Yes pics where taken and will get them posted ASAP.

Kevin
Yeah, its always good to get the kids interested. I think perhaps one of the greatest life lessons one can teach a child is how to grow their own food.

My daughter is 6, and I'm really trying to teach her everything I can about it - the little I know, at least. The good thing is that she likes to eat tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and melons. I think that helps keep her interested.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011   #3
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post
Yeah, its always good to get the kids interested. I think perhaps one of the greatest life lessons one can teach a child is how to grow their own food.

My daughter is 6, and I'm really trying to teach her everything I can about it - the little I know, at least. The good thing is that she likes to eat tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and melons. I think that helps keep her interested.

That's good. I learned at around seven and never regretted it.In this day and age it is a very important skill to know.

Kevin
Old June 15, 2011   #4
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Got the next bed all dug up. More maters going in Wednesday starting with Shumway's Sensation. Word on the street is it is not like other varieties that where batted about last year. From what I have been told by someone on another forum that it has has great production. And makes a great canner.

Also the bunny's are back.They nailed two of my Rose maters down to the first true leaves.I know they will grow back.Just a minor setback with these two plants.In the mean time I have dusted all of them with Cayenne powder so the damage should subside.At least I wont loose 12 plants this year

Kevin
Old June 15, 2011   #5
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
That's good. I learned at around seven and never regretted it.In this day and age it is a very important skill to know.

Kevin
Yeah, so I got home and saw how my daughter had tried to water my garden, nearly washing out some of my okra plants, although she was specifically told only to water the flowers. I had to scold her, but at least that proves her desire to contribute.

organichris is offline   Reply With Quote