Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2017   #346
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My wife just told me about the long line of cars waiting to get gas at HEB (They are just like the gas stations at Walmart) There was someone out there directing traffic.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #347
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Good morning everyone. My cell phone for the first time in its life is actually getting online. A miracle in itself. Very difficult to read such a small screen though.

We arrived home to find some water damage to the ceilings in laundry room and garage.

Cell phone is working now, I can call out and text is working as well.

We have damage to the RV and the car. My shed is still here, moved forward off of it's blocks but still anchored to the ground in all four corners. My dog kennel was about an acre away. It's pretty messed up but hubby rolled it home. All fences and trees are either gone or severely damaged. Amazingly, some of the food in the freezer was still mostly frozen. I put it in the fridge to thaw and cooked it yesterday on my new blackstone griddle. Then portioned and back in the freezer for meals later.

Our town is devastated but are all plugging along. Our generator had not shipped by the time we arrived home. We found McCoys open and bought a generator from them. Got a call this morning at 5:30 am from FEDEX Freight with our generator to be delivered today.

We were able to get into Rockport and take a look at storage. It's a miracle in itself that storage is standing and the car has zero damage to it.

We have been humbled by all the blessings we have received from all the devastation around us.

Water boil is lifted. Street lights are on. Still no power to our homes. Curfew from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am.

Finally, the mosquitos have come in droves. Its awful.

I don't have much more update for you all. I feel so bad for those who have lost everything.

Signing out again. Not sure this phone will get online again. I'll try though.

Rockporter

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #348
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ah, Rockporter! So glad to see you online and to hear that you encountered nothing worse than what it is. I was worried for you on the road....
Here's hoping that the work ahead goes smoothly and soon back to normal.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #349
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Been wondering how things were going. Glad to hear it's not as bad as it could have been!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #350
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, that's good news that you are getting your home in order. I'm also impressed that your town is putting itself to rights in short order with street lights, water, cell service, etc. You Texans are all in my prayers.

Don't forget to put out some nectar for the hummingbirds this fall.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #351
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, that's great news! I imagine you and your husband are relieved and feel you dodged a bullet. I realize you didn't escape damage free, but it could have been so much worse.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #352
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

I have been reading this thread and glad to see that all are safe, albeit not damage free. My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by Harvey. We were hit very hard when Sandy passed through, but the scope of this is so far beyond belief.

Stay safe!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #353
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad to hear that you had such little damage compared to many of those around you. It could have been so much worse. Count your blessings and then get on with the hard work. I know that it is going to be a lot.

My small town has had a drive for those in Texas who are in need. This little town raised over $10 million in money and supplies that have already left town and are on their way to help those that are in need. Our High School was flooded with all of the supplies and people helping out. I'm sure that many other communities across the nation are doing the same and that this will help those whose lives have been devastated by this storm. Hopefully with all of the people and supplies on the way we can get these peoples lives back to normal in the not so distant future.
Old September 1, 2017   #354
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Will the flood damage be covered by Homeowners Insurance? Or did the people need to have flood insurance on their house to be covered? If homeowners ins.
doesn't cover flood damage, there are going to be a bunch of upset people when they realize
FEMA will give is $30K. Does anyone know the answer to this?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #355
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rockporter, I am very glad to see your post. Things could have been so much worse.

Edit: I forgot to add what I clicked on the link for My wife had to get gas for the car today and only had to wait for two cars in front of her.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; September 1, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #356
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's great to hear about the drives to help Texas out. We sure need it.

Flood insurance covers an actual flood caused by the storm. TWIA, Texas Windstorm Insurance Association. I believe is it's name, but could be wrong, will cover wind/rain damage like is in my attic and ceiling.

We pay for TWIA, Homeowners, and Flood insurance to cover our home if the need arises. TWIA adjuster will be out Monday morning to inspect the damage.

If people are foregoing insurance, and depending on FEMA, it's a huge mistake. FEMA is not insurance, it's only disaster relief.

Still no power, or internet. Water boil is off and don't remember if I already noted that. Cold showers are no fun, lol. Gotta brace for that one.

Finally saw the doctor today, for the injury I got last Thursday, while preparing for the hurricane. I cut open the lesion on my shin with the blades of that awful weed grass that's out there. It has very prickly sides to each blade. It cut right across my lesion and caused it to weep and get very sore. Doc said good job, it's not infected. Gave me a stronger antibiotic ointment than I was already using. Whew, glad that worked out. Our hospital is closed nearby and a temporary hospital was setup at the small airport nearby. Was having trouble connecting with the base since we arrived home. The phone lines to medical were down.

FEMA guy just left, he explained how it all worked. I will probably get back the cost of the generator because I have DME (CPAP) I need to use each night. We are without power. I need power to run it.

If you have any kind of insurance that reimburses for something FEMA paid for, you reimburse FEMA what you received from them.

I think that's it for now. Getting on here depletes the battery very quickly.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 1, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old September 1, 2017   #357
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear your report. Stay safe and pace yourself! Take care!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #358
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The flood damage/storm damage scam has been going on for decades.
It has been an easy loop hole way for insurance to not pay.
The courts should have stepped in years ago and put a stop to it.

As far as gas is concerned yesterday I had everyone show up late because they couldn't find gas.
I asked why they didn't get it the day before.
They said they thought the rush would be over the next day and they would get it.
Then I told them how gas is distributed and why the stations were out.

As for me I keep my truck at 3/4 full all the time.
It doesn't cost anymore to keep it full than it does on empty.
One kid showed up almost on time the one from California.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #359
matereater
Tomatovillian™

rockporter, glad to hear your storm damage was minimal. Hope you get power back soon, its makes everyday life so much easier.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #360
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Good morning. Still no power from our house or to the left of us and down the street. The neighbors on the right and all the way down the right side of the street have power. Shouldn't be too long before we have it too.

We now have internet and cable tv, making it much easier to see what I am typing here because I am using my computer. Recovery has been quick for services.

We are slowly getting the debris cleaned up but it will be a long hard process. Lots of roof shingles from a few of the neighbors houses in the yard and garbage everywhere. We have a tiny front yard to stack it in and our neighbors on either side have not cleaned anything up on theirs.

I'll be willing to bet the church back there will demand we clean up the entire fence line since the pastor there treated it as if the broken fence was all our responsibility and none of theirs. I haven't seen anyone over there doing anything to fix things. Our yard cannot hold all that broken fence. About 300 feet of it(actually about 400') between the back side and both side yards. Someone needs to get moving and start helping out around here.

Hubby moved the shed parts that were up against the RV to stop any further damage from occurring to it, but the neighbor their hasn't started any cleanup. He is a first responder, but he has two teenage boys and a wife that could be out there taking care of things. After all, in my condition, if I am helping hubby, I think they are all capable of using helping hands. The other side is my neighbor I am happy has his house for sale. They have been there since we got home but not one person has done anything to start cleanup. I'm getting a bit annoyed at this moment. We can only do so much in the early morning hours and it is way too hot to be out there past 10:00 am. The mosquitos are out in droves too, we could only find one bottle of cutter and it isn't doing much good.

Sounds like I am complaining and I guess I am, I was just hoping to have a neighborhood that helped each other out far better than we had before. I guess a hurricane doesn't change that, and it's sad. Hubby is one person here, many have friends or family who have come to help them cleanup, but we are alone without family here. Our friends own a lawn and garden shop, they are busy getting peoples equipment working for them and haven't even cleaned their own house up yet. We'll just keep plugging along and eventually we will be done with cleanup, then on to building a new fence all around.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM.