Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 7, 2017   #136
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Back to Eden is not a new concept, but it's been popular lately. I don't think it matters too much the type of tree, except you need it to be mixed with leaves to speed up the composting action. It can be a risk if it's taken from diseased tree or ones infested with pests. From what I'm told walnut needs to be avoided due to the chemical the tree put out and the walnut shells. Acidity from pine is not a problem as the pH will be neutral when it breaks down.

Many people say it take 3-4 years for woodchips to break down, but most of what I put down 12months ago composted already thanks to Florida rain and the bugs in the soil, what seen below is a fresh layer I put down after the hurricane. It does have to be a little thick layer, just having 1-2inches isn't going to initiate much composting action. It is recommended to put a layer of compost underneath (or above) the woodchips and this improve the composting action.

There are downsides too, one is rolly polies and millipedes will chew the stem of the tomato seedlings unless you push the woodchips asides, maybe 8 inches at least. Also it eliminates open surface so isn't ideal for direct sowing and intense market growing.

One problem I find is if you have poor soil and you put down a lot of woodchips, if you don't water heavily at first or have heavy rain, the water won't be able to penetrate to the bottom. Once the composting action takes place then you need less water, I haven't watered these raised beds for almost year now except during the transplanting periods.

The only ants problems left in this area are due to the gaps in the raised beds borders. Slugs no longer exists in this area, and I rarely ever see earwigs anymore which were common a few years ago. The real test will be when I try to grow carrots and rooted parsley, I have some sweet corn growing in the soil right now.

(The were some nice peppers in the grow bags, but I ripped them because of how much whiteflies they attracts.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20171207 (23).jpg (673.7 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; December 7, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #137
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've read that you are not supposed to use leaves with a high waxy content on them. I think they are supposed to be highly acidic and take a long time to break down. I looked it up again earlier but didn't find what I was looking for. It might be an internet myth?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #138
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I think you might be thinking of Oak leaves. I had heard that about them.

https://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2012...t-with-leaves/
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #139
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not all oak leaves are the same and composting can differ from one area in the country to the next.
The small live oak leaf would take a long time.
A red oak would take less time.
Oaks more or less come in 3 categories red white and live but there are hundreds of species.
Anyone in Texas (((should))) now what a southern live oak looks like but many dont and the numbers grow by the day.
Red oaks have pointy ends on the leaves and white oaks have round ends on the leaves.
To me using the generic term for oaks is like saying all tomatoes are round and red.
Red oak wood decomposes faster than white oak by a long shot.
This is why they use white oak to make barrels for wine and whisky.
As far as acidity in the compost in Texas I wouldn't worry about it.
Texas hasn't had an acidic soil problem in most of the state since the last peat bogs turned to coal many years ago.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #140
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My leaf compost is about equal parts Northern Red Oak, Pin Oak, and Black Oak leaves. Don't know how we ended up with all three on our property as they were here before bought the place!

If shredded, piled, and kept moist, they all break down in no time. I make leaf mold with some, and use the rest as mulch for my beds. If left whole, as I learned by experience... they stay a slimy, matted mess that smothers the soil and won't easily let water through.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #141
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My leaf compost is about equal parts Northern Red Oak, Pin Oak, and Black Oak leaves. Don't know how we ended up with all three on our property as they were here before bought the place!

If shredded, piled, and kept moist, they all break down in no time. I make leaf mold with some, and use the rest as mulch for my beds. If left whole, as I learned by experience... they stay a slimy, matted mess that smothers the soil and won't easily let water through.
All three are in the red oak family of trees and native to your area.
My guess would be squirrels and landscaping.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2017   #142
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We have several varieties of oak here. For us, Black oak is the hardest on chainsaw chains. It burns slow and hot with a lot of strong smelling smoke. The leaves compost relatively fast - especially if mulch mowed.

There are also a lot of Elm trees here. The decomposition of the leaves is very quick.
Old December 9, 2017   #143
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

We had a big elm in our yard at the time of the Great New Years Eve Ice Storm. The ice broke off a couple 12 limbs and took out the power for 3 days. We had to heat the house and cook using elm wood. I swear, elm burns cold and will literally suck heat out of the room. Not really, but we did find a little oak in a forgotten pile. What a difference!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017   #144
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Salt you can get a basic Earthbox system for $32.95, or off you buy 3, it's $29.95 each.(you have to MAKE or buy your own potting mix) The box plastic does not degrade in sunlight, or otherwise break down, holds up to my lawn man's weed eater really perfectly. So you only spend it once, and they are getting 30+ years out of them. They are quite cost effective over time. Just buy one to three at a time. Little by little you will get there. That's what I did.
No Fusarium of any race, no nematodes, never.
Jan saw one in the new Jung seeds catalog. She's saying I need to get some of them
They are $57.95 at Jungs. I'll look for the basic Earthbox system that you wrote about above.

I found it https://earthbox.com/earthbox-contai...rdening-system Buy 3 for $29.95 each

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 28, 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 28, 2017   #145
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Jan saw one in the new Jung seeds catalog. She's saying I need to get some of them
They are $57.95 at Jungs. I'll look for the basic Earthbox system that you wrote about above.

I found it https://earthbox.com/earthbox-contai...rdening-system Buy 3 for $29.95 each
Yes that's it exactly. Comes in nice colors too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017   #146
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I can't justify getting an Earthbox without the wheels, unfortunately that add a lot to the cost. It's very heavy once filled with water and potting mix. I think for older people the wheels are a requirement, or you have to use a dolly.

I buy my own 2" wheels from the hardware store but they don't fit, which I'm sure is done on purpose, I just use adhesive and now they are stuck, although not a good idea if you want to remove them later on.

Last edited by maxjohnson; December 28, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 28, 2017   #147
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I can't justify getting an Earthbox without the wheels, unfortunately that add a lot to the cost. It's very heavy once filled with water and potting mix. I think for older people the wheels are a requirement, or you have to use a dolly.

I buy my own 2" wheels from the hardware store but they don't fit, which I'm sure is done on purpose, I just use adhesive and now they are stuck, although not a good idea if you want to remove them later on.
$4.99, I guess adding a lot to the cost is in the eye of the beholder. https://earthbox.com/earthbox-caster-kit
Old December 28, 2017   #148
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
$4.99, I guess adding a lot to the cost is in the eye of the beholder. https://earthbox.com/earthbox-caster-kit
That's only for two. Four is $9.99 + $8 shipping.
Old December 28, 2017   #149
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
That's only for two. Four is $9.99 + $8 shipping.
How deceptive is that?!! You're right! Geeze, that's awful. How can you use only 2? Pretty bad of them.
Old December 28, 2017   #150
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marsha, I saw all those colors. I like the Terra Cotta color which looks like our native soil here and makes me think of clay pots. I am also thinking of the white because of white reflecting light/heat to-a-point. If just going for aesthetics, the blue looks nice and calming.

How many tomato plants can you plant in each one? I'm thinking two?