Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 12, 2016   #16
berryman
Tomatovillian™

CL, sounds kind of like a produce ATM.
Do you leave your product out and use the honor system too?
Lots of things to think about for me. The place where I was going to put the stand is in an area I can't allow deer access to so there would have to be a man gate.

Frankly, the whole thing would be easier if I just let the deer eat what they wanted and figure out a way to make them pay!
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #17
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

I used to spend a lot of time in Enterprise, UT and there was a house on the main road that sold sweet corn on the honor system. I never saw the person or people anytime I went but always liked the honor system idea. Unfortunately there are very few places left where it works.
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #18
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Just make sure you have a roof on it. Tomatoes get extremely hot on a table in the sun uncovered, to the point they are ready to explode upon handling. Learned that the hard way last summer. In regards to honor system, we made a lot more than we lost the last couple of years. Had the money jar stolen once. Luckily it only had change for a twenty in it.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Yep... kind of like a produce ATM... it sits there under a roof (I try to keep it out of the sun) and it is a "help yourself" stand at times. I am not always available to be right there. I also do farmers markets at the same time. I produced for 4 of them a week last year. I baked bread on Tuesdays and Fridays. for Wed and Sat. markets. I was exhausted at the end of the season, BUT my goal has been for several years to remodel my kitchen with the money I earned from the produce. I got it remodeled this past Winter.
Old April 17, 2016   #20
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

This thread is good reading even though I'm just a balcony gardener. How do you make rhubarb soda?
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #21
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

If you put up a video in use sign, you can also buy a fake video camera to mount facing the access direction. They are inexpensive, look very real (even a red LED that blinks, run by a small battery) and can be a great deterrent.

That said, I would try the honor system first and only go that route if you have a problem. It is better to trust people, and folks respond positively to that.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #22
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Super responses everyone. I guess I will be doing the honor system, I am a little surprised at how many people recommended it.
The only unhonorable folks round here are a few meth addicts in the hood but if they ate a vegetable it would probably kill em!
Old April 17, 2016   #23
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Deborah, the easiest way to make the soda is to make a four gallon batch of rhubarb "juice" by boiling rhubarb and sugar, strain add sugar and water to taste and then pressurize in a soda keg with CO2.
the other way is to make the juice, put in bottles and cap and then watch out for exploding bottles.
Old April 18, 2016   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Super responses everyone. I guess I will be doing the honor system, I am a little surprised at how many people recommended it.
The only unhonorable folks round here are a few meth addicts in the hood but if they ate a vegetable it would probably kill em!

No but they will eat BBQ brisket cooked in a gasoline fire.
Don't ask how I know this.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote