Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20, 2019   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to start my seeds!

Its about time to start my seeds, and something just occurred to me. I usually start my seeds in small 3 ounce dixie type cups with a jiffy type seed starting medium, although I have not been using that brand recently. Then when they have 2-4 true leaves I transplant into large Solo cups with miracle grow potting mix. They have enough food in the potting mix to keep them until transplant into the garden. Sometimes, ok most times, lol, I get a few done at the 2-4 leaf stage and many more that grow larger than they should before I get them transplanted into the Solo cups. I am thinking about switching it up a bit and maybe putting potting mix into the lower half of those 3 ounce cups and the seed started just on the top half so that they have a small amount of fertilizer earlier, and as insurance until they transplanted. Do you think it is worth trying, or not worth the trouble? I am once again going to try to limit how many seedlings I grow, so I am not so overwhlemed by trying to keep up with transplanting and taking of them. OK, Ok, ok, but I have to try even if I am doomed to fail. I will blame my failure on Marsha this year.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote