Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 21, 2018   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Cherry

This purple coloured cherry (photo doesn't show the purple well) turned up in a sowing of Riesentraube, tastes a bit sweeter than Riesentraube, but i dont know where it came from, i'm wondering if its crossed with another tomato maybe. Any thoughts??

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

One whole plant is yielding those cherries? Could be a stray seed in the packet. I don't think it's an accidentally cross-pollinated seed, because red being dominant, you wouldn't see the color change.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #3
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, if it was your saved seed then it was most likely either stray seed or cross pollination (were you growing black/purple the season you saved seed?).

If it was bought or traded/gifted seed then it's most likely stray but there is the possibility that it was crossed seed as well...

If your curious and have the space next season, save as much seed as you can and grow it to see what happens!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
One whole plant is yielding those cherries? Could be a stray seed in the packet. I don't think it's an accidentally cross-pollinated seed, because red being dominant, you wouldn't see the color change.

Nan
Its was from seed i'd had for many years, i grew it and many other to refresh my collection. Best way to tell if its a cross will be to grow it again this coming spring.

Old February 22, 2018   #5
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Yeah, if it was your saved seed then it was most likely either stray seed or cross pollination (were you growing black/purple the season you saved seed?).

If it was bought or traded/gifted seed then it's most likely stray but there is the possibility that it was crossed seed as well...

If your curious and have the space next season, save as much seed as you can and grow it to see what happens!

Al
Too long ago to remember Al, but yes, i'll see what happens in 12 months time.

Old February 22, 2018   #6
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

It can be a bit exciting though can't it? Just having to wait till next season to be able to see what turns out is the grueling part...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
It can be a bit exciting though can't it? Just having to wait till next season to be able to see what turns out is the grueling part...

Al
If it was a larger tomato i would grow it indoors, but my dwarf tomatoes come first

Old February 23, 2018   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

If the Reisentraube seed was crossed, the black would show up in the second generation (F2) with approximate ratio of one in four.
So if the Reisentraube seed is really an F2, you should find another black if you grow half dozen or more of that old seed stock. If you find another black, then you'll know your red Reisentraube seeds are also crossed! (And blacks may or may not show up when growing the newly saved 'Reisentraube' seeds as well).
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

So you reckon i should save seed from the Reisentraube plant that is producing the proper fruit and from the other plant throwing the purple

Old February 24, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

I figured you were saving the proper R anyway... If it were me, and I liked the purple, I'd save it. All the descendants of the purple should be purple.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote