Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2018   #571
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Time to think and plan for the fence building season any suggestions?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Designs, is that what you are looking for?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #572
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hubby is still not done with the fence or gates. There has been no work done since the last post I made because of the weather. It's raining outside again, he's hoping it will stop sometime this weekend.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old February 17, 2018   #573
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would come in and update. Hubby was able to finish the fence today and he pulled four posts and replaced them for the other side of the gate he had not pulled posts on yet. So, all posts pulled and replaced on fence and gates. He has the gate frames built and needs to finish that. He worked from 6:00 this morning until 4:00 this afternoon. Rain will be here tomorrow so he probably won't get the gates finished. He is exhausted and in bed now. I think I'll make him some soup and let him rest as long as he needs to.

He also showed me a place under the car trailer where a black dog has been taking an overnight sleep that he discovered a couple of weeks back. I was not aware we had a stray dog taking cover under our trailer. I'm sure glad I didn't venture out there during the night time.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old February 17, 2018   #574
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You now have a new fence and a new dog, put out food and water for it.
Probably lost from the storm.
It is how we got most of our dogs.

My work mate took in a stray cat and it now sleeps with his Bullmastiff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #575
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You now have a new fence and a new dog, put out food and water for it.
Probably lost from the storm.
It is how we got most of our dogs.

My work mate took in a stray cat and it now sleeps with his Bullmastiff.

Worth
No new dog, it apparently came at night. No ability to get into the yard unless he walks around the neighborhood and comes through where the gate isn't up yet. I never saw the dog. I guess hubby would see him/her when he went out in the morning before he left for work.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old February 26, 2018   #576
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update: The gates are finished, so the entire fence is now closed in. I am so glad hubby has finished that monstrous job. He worked so hard on that and didn't think he would ever finish because the weather just kept being bad, lol. A long hard trek but at least it's done.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old March 3, 2018   #577
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Update: The gates are finished, so the entire fence is now closed in. I am so glad hubby has finished that monstrous job. He worked so hard on that and didn't think he would ever finish because the weather just kept being bad, lol. A long hard trek but at least it's done.
I have read every one of your posts about the fence.
I am so happy for you guys that it is completed for you.
It is a lot of hard work building a good fence many people dont or never will realize.

Worth
Old June 24, 2018   #578
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default The little tree that could!

Hi everyone, it's been along while since I have been to the forums and have no excuse, just haven't felt much like being a good neighbor lately. Today changes that though because what good is a neighbor who doesn't keep other's informed when things in the neighborhood change? Well, that crepe myrtle we worked so hard to save and went through all that awful weather this last winter, is now blooming some very pretty pink flowers.

These are on the back side of the tree, the big branch on the back side and there a tons of new buds on there also. Now here is to hoping the entire tree eventually blooms. I also realized we have two crepe myrtle trees on my street. They have white blooms on them and those survived the hurricane really well too.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 24, 2018   #579
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They are hard to kill.

Worth
Old June 24, 2018   #580
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nature finds a way!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #581
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi everyone, it's been along while since I have been to the forums and have no excuse, just haven't felt much like being a good neighbor lately. Today changes that though because what good is a neighbor who doesn't keep other's informed when things in the neighborhood change? Well, that crepe myrtle we worked so hard to save and went through all that awful weather this last winter, is now blooming some very pretty pink flowers.

These are on the back side of the tree, the big branch on the back side and there a tons of new buds on there also. Now here is to hoping the entire tree eventually blooms. I also realized we have two crepe myrtle trees on my street. They have white blooms on them and those survived the hurricane really well too.
Rock, it's good to see you post. I have wondered how you and your husband have been doing. Sounds like the Crepe Myrtle is a survivor. Very nice!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #582
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I am so glad to hear that your crepe myrtle made it, ya'll worked so hard to give it a chance to survive. Glad to hear it is blooming for you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #583
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone, thanks for the happy's on the tree, I can now say there are beautiful pink flowers on at least 75% of the tree with lots of buds waiting to open when they are ready, Yay!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 6, 2018   #584
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Great job with that tree Rockporter. Your hard work has paid off. You have even gotten your wish to have the entire tree to bloom in pink for you. Congrats!
Old July 8, 2018   #585
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Harvey rain

I'm very, very late to this party, but the total rainfall from Harvey measured a mile from our house at Nasa Road 1 and Taylor Lake was 50 inches. Unbelievable, isn't it? Water didn't get into the house, but I was sweating bullets. Many homes in El Lago flooded. The view from my front porch. This lasted for days. The dog's name is Lucky. I haven't read all the posts in this thread. What I experienced was nothing compared to what others had to go through.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0827170854 (1).jpg (444.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by SpookyShoe; July 8, 2018 at 03:29 PM.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote