Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 13, 2016   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini Sotto Olio

Yesterday I finally harvested the two remaining over-grown zucchini on my plants, which means I finally had enough to make my first batch of Zucchini Sotto Olio (zucchini under oil). You really need over grown zucchini for this recipe as the younger small ones are too tender and will dissolve instead of getting densely textured with a slightly crisp crunch.

My basic technique is from a recipe published in "My Calabria" by Rosetta Constantino, but I first had this and then saw it made by my aunt when visiting Australia about 13 years ago.

It's a delicious addition to an antipasto platter, goes great on a slice of good crusty bread, or my aunt just served it as a vegetable side dish with meats.

INGREDIENTS

5 pounds large zucchini
½ cup kosher salt
3 cups white vinegar
1 T each dried oregano and basil
2 tsp garlic powder
Hot pepper flakes to taste
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for topping jars

Cut the zucchini crosswise into 2 or 3 pieces. Cut each piece in half lengthwise, then scoop out all the seeds and spongy pulp from the center. Slice each section crosswise no more than 1/4 inch thick. (A mandoline is helpful for this.)

Make layers of sliced zucchini and salt in a large bowl, then toss well. Macerate for 12 hours to draw the water out of the zucchini. Drain the zucchini, then squeeze a handful at a time to remove excess water.

Place the zucchini in a heavy nonreactive pot and add the vinegar and 1 cup of water. The liquid should barely cover the zucchini.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir to redistribute the zucchini, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the zucchini slices are cooked through but still whole, about 4 minutes. Do not allow them to break apart.

Drain the zucchini and put them in a large colander. Top them with a plate and a heavy weight, such as a pot filled with water, to squeeze out the liquid. Let the zucchini drain under the weight for 15 minutes.

Lay several clean kitchen towels on a table covered with cardboard. Arrange the zucchini slices on the towels, spreading the slices apart. Let dry at room temperature until they feel a little leathery and are no longer damp, 24 to 48 hours. They will shrivel considerably. (If you choose to dry them in a dehydrator, monitor them carefully so that they don't go beyond the leathery stage.)

Place the zucchini in a bowl and toss with the oregano, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and the ½ cup olive oil.

Taste for salt and let the mixture marinate at room temperature for a day.

Transfer the zucchini to clean canning jars. Pack them in tightly, pushing them down with a fork or spoon to remove any air gaps. Top with more olive oil so they are completely submerged. Cover with jar lid and refrigerate for at least 2 weeks before sampling to give the zucchini time to absorb the seasonings.

Bring them out of the refrigerator about an hour before you plan to serve them to allow the oil to liquefy. Return any leftover zucchini to the refrigerator, topping with oil so the zucchini remain completely submerged. If kept submerged in olive oil and refrigerated, the zucchini will last for up to 6 months.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #2
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

These are great looking zukes! What variety is this? Thanks for the recipe!
I am not having a lot of zukes this year to try, unfortunately but will keep in mind for next year. Zukes are favs in this family!
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

They are a hybrid called Green Tiger. I have been buying them for years from Renee's Garden, but they are now a Burpee "Exclusive."

I really like them and they do really well, but I'm not to happy about the price Burpee is charging for them - $5.95 for 10 seeds.
Old September 2, 2016   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

They are really pretty! Had to look them up and found that they may no longer be an "exclusive"; either that, or these pages are old:

http://www.superseeds.com/products/g...iger-courgette

http://www.gourmetseed.com/product/Z...F1-Hybrid.html

http://www.hpsseed.com/dp.asp?pID=03...ybrid+Zucchini

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I actually found some still listed at Pinetree Seeds as well!

I love them because they are a bush variety versus a vining zucchini so I can tuck four plants in at the end of my raised bed and they just spill over the sides a little bit. Saved room for more tomatoes! They have an almost nutty taste similar to the Italian striped variety I used to grow, but the Green Tiger is a much better producer.

I checked my inventory and I still have enough seeds for one or two more years, but it's good to see seed companies are still carrying it.
Old September 4, 2016   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Super! Thank you much! I grow Striata zukes and they are the best, love the nutty flavor. I sure will try these ones!
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote