Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 4, 2013   #1
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Default Different type of SWC build hopefully

Was wondering if anyone had tried this. I have not but plan to give it a try.

Buy a 10 and an 18 gallon Sterilite container. Cut the 10 so it is 5 inches tall from the bottom up, same height as when using the pond basket.

Drill holes in the bottom for aeration and around the sides to let water go through.

Place it in the 18 gallon container bottom side up so you have the aeration shelf but since the 10 gallon is smaller around there will be space all the way the around the sides between both containers.

When filling with wet mix fill that space for wicking and then cover with 2 layers of landscaping cloth and continue to fill as normal. Drill you drainage hole and cut your lid to hold your plastic mulch down as normal.

The wicking area will be around the sides with no need for the center basket. I don't know if any center support would be needed since no hole will be in the center for a basket. I would hope not. That complicates things and I like simple.

Also I don't know if there would be too much wicking area making the mix too wet.

Seems like it would greatly simplify the process as well as making it where a person would have to buy less stuff to make it.

But two containers, cut the 10 gallon one, drill some holes, cut the 18 gal. lid, drill the drainage hole, add your water fill pipe, and fill with mix.

Come to think of it the 10 gallon lid could be used in the bottom between the 18 and where the 10 sits for support and the leftover 18 lid cut out could be placed under everything for a smooth surface to sit like with the other designs shown.

I only mention Sterilite because I know I can get those sizes easily and lets face it, they cost less. But the Sterilite 10 gal. might even work with the rubbermaids or Lowes which I think is centrex?
I imagine many combos would work.

Now to get the stuff and see how it goes.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jaysan,

I would highly recommend you use the Centrex brand containers for your design. All of the others I have tried were destroyed by the Sun's UV within 4 years outside.

Have fun and let us know how it works.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #3
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I will.

I have several 3 year old Sterilites for regular pots, not SWC, and I can see how the sun is getting to them, especially their rims.

I have a couple of the 18 gallon Centrex so I need a 10 gallon Sterilite to see how it will fit inside.

Seems the experimentation is a large part of the fun. I sure admire the ingenuity many have shown over the years with their great designs and no doubt it was fun for them too.
Old May 5, 2013   #4
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Be sure you have good soil to reservoir contact. I built some using round large pots and round inverted nursery pots, and there just wasn't enough soil low enough around the edges to wick properly.

When I rebuild, I'll use smaller inner pots, or a true wick.

I made another out of a square box and upside down nursery flats, and that worked much better.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013   #5
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully the soil will go all the way down to the bottom of the outer container all the way around. Until I get a 10 gallon container and get it cut and put it in will I see exactly how much room there will be for soil.

I will have to see also if the water will wick from the sides into the center.
In the standard configuration it wicks from the center to the sides so I would think so.

I also can see where the drainage hole might need a tube inserted into it and going all the way into the center container to avoid the possible issue of soil stopping it up.

Sometimes you just don't know how it will work until you do it. Hope to find out soon.
Old May 5, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I used a pvc pipe as a fill tube; I definitely should have cut it at an angle (or put a few big holes) at the bottom so it wouldn't lock flush with the bottom of the reservoir. In my lettuce box, I used a water bottle with the bottom cut off, pushed through one of the holes in the nursery flat.

Since tote sides flare out and slope, I would definitely measure. Although you could always cut it down a little.

And be really diligent about your soil mix. I dumped a bag of sandy topsoil into my lettuce box by mistake, but it was only six inches deep so it was fine.

My next project is going to involve SWCs and worms.

I don't have anywhere near Ray's experience, but I did have a Sterilite tote literally shatter after a season outside!

Good luck with your experiments, I look forward to your insights!

Tl
Old May 6, 2013   #7
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I am using Raybo's 321 mix in some others I made this year to try out. Seems to wick well.
I used 3/4 PEX for the watering tube to try to stay chemical free as possible.

Don't know when I wil get around to trying the new design. The weather here is super wet and will be for the next few days.

Last edited by Jaysan; May 6, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 6, 2013   #8
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Be sure you have good soil to reservoir contact. I built some using round large pots and round inverted nursery pots, and there just wasn't enough soil low enough around the edges to wick properly.

When I rebuild, I'll use smaller inner pots, or a true wick.

I made another out of a square box and upside down nursery flats, and that worked much better.

Tl
I just set up some round pots with inverted plastic colanders that I got at the Dollar Store (literally for $1 each). We'll see how that goes.

Last year, I used upside-down nursery flats in a window-box type setup (for my herbs and strawberries). That worked fine, except the window boxes had pre-drilled holes that we tried to plug. They leaked (and I'll never use a container with pre-drilled holes again!). But the upside-down flats worked just fine.
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013   #9
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, I hope the round stuff works better for you than it did for me!

I lined my wooden lettuce box with plastic bags and it seems to hold water okay. Who knows what it'll look like at the end of the season.

The reservoir on that one is shallow enough that if it starts leaking, it's no biggie, I'll just have a topwaterer again!

Tl
Old May 6, 2013   #10
mattkeddie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
Thanks I will.

I have several 3 year old Sterilites for regular pots, not SWC, and I can see how the sun is getting to them, especially their rims.

I have a couple of the 18 gallon Centrex so I need a 10 gallon Sterilite to see how it will fit inside.

Seems the experimentation is a large part of the fun. I sure admire the ingenuity many have shown over the years with their great designs and no doubt it was fun for them too.
i always combat the uv with a quick spray of clear coat. car wax works too.
mattkeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #11
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkeddie View Post
i always combat the uv with a quick spray of clear coat. car wax works too.
Just might give that a try, thanks for the tip!
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #12
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
Hopefully the soil will go all the way down to the bottom of the outer container all the way around. Until I get a 10 gallon container and get it cut and put it in will I see exactly how much room there will be for soil.

I will have to see also if the water will wick from the sides into the center.
In the standard configuration it wicks from the center to the sides so I would think so.

I also can see where the drainage hole might need a tube inserted into it and going all the way into the center container to avoid the possible issue of soil stopping it up.

Sometimes you just don't know how it will work until you do it. Hope to find out soon.
Suggest using just potting soil for the wick.

Also, if the edge soil does not wick well, try adding several nylon rope wicks through the inner container.

Good Luck,
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #13
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
Also, if the edge soil does not wick well, try adding several nylon rope wicks through the inner container.
Hey, good idea! This would be a dirt simple way for me to fix my two not-self-watering SWCs. Assuming I'm brave enough to dislodge the dragon living in one of them in the process.
Old May 10, 2013   #14
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I have one put together but haven't filled it yet. Looks ok. I put the watering tube into the corner of the center 10 gallon bench so the water could flow in easily.
I also added a drain tube that goes from the center to the outside so it would allow for easy over flow.
There is decent space around the outsides. Should be plenty for wicking.
I also added a 4 inch flower pot to the center to add support.
I used one of the rubbermaid 18 gallon totes for the outer part.

Just have to fill it to see if it works ok.

I will say that so far the best design to me is Raybo's. Little waste. 2 lids to use. Solid and sturdy.
I did one like that with Sterilites and see that design is best with the straighter sided Centrex or rubbermaid.

Last edited by Jaysan; May 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM.