Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 7, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Pepper and Herb Infused Oils

I think I might be struck by another addiction here. Hot peppers. Hear me out...

Came to work this morning with replacement keyboard only to discover the kettle had died. Feeling weary from a rough night of crazy dreaming. Must be the moon. Or, rrather, the cummin. I have a theory about that.

So I walked down the stairs and 20 metres to me right, in the door of the neighbouring homeware shop. Dangerously close, I know. But the girl at the checkout smells so nice.

I buy a kettle, then a nice little painted bowl from Mexico for tonight's salsa, then a glass bottle with a stopper for my planned hot-pepper infused oil.

Which reminds me:

I wanted to ask you experts how best to make flavoured oils. Do i just pour EVOO in the bottle, poke two chillies, a sprig of lemon grace and some garlic down the neck?

I have oodles of basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano, mint and hot peppers. Was thinking of making a basil oil, a lemon thyme oil, a spicy Asian oil? Ideas welcome.

I note the Italians sell lemon-flavoured, basil-flavoured and chilli oils so it can't be that difficult.

Thanks, grub 8)
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've read lots of conflicting information on infused oils in terms of propensity to become infected due to decay of the herbs, need to refrigerate, etc. Here is something I read that works quite well.

Put 2 cups or so of olive oil in a sauce pan. Cram the pan with fresh herbs - I've used just basil, just Rosemary, or blends. Simmer until the water evaporates out of the herbs and they get "crispy" browned. Cool and taste. If sufficient flavor is not infused, repeat. this works great - I store this at room temp with no issues - doesn't look as attractive as a bottle with herbs floating in it!

I am sure that this is also how hot pepper oil is made.
Old February 7, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Sounds Easy

Thanks Craig,
I will try this technique. A low heat I would imagine to prevent a burnt taste?

Might also head back to the shop for a funnel and, boy, I like those crab crackers. :wink:
Old April 18, 2006   #4
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

You might want to check some of the websites on the internet concerning herbs stored in oil. There is alot of info out there. Here is just one sample site.

http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Food...HerbsinOil.htm
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2006   #5
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Definitely do read up and be careful about making your own flavored oils. My brother did some garlic and pepper oils a couple of years ago, and they turned into the nastiest, most rancid things...
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #6
bully
Tomatovillian™

When Mrs. Bully was at culinary school a master chef taught her how to make infused truffle oil.

One takes the truffle in ones right hand, very important and one waves the truffle over the bottle 3 times in a counter clockwise motion, now one can put 'infused truffle oil' on every other item on the menu.

hope that helps
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now folks don’t think I don’t care about botulism but we probably have a better chance of getting hit by a train than dieing from botulism.
What that article said is, 110 cases are reported every year, 25% are food born, 72% are infant botulism, (I take that to be extracted from the 25 % of the food born cases.)
The rest are wound contractions, injection from a dirty needle from drug use.
But I may be wrong; this information was copied from the CDC.

They said not to can foods at home; they did not tell folks in a very explanatory manner that botulism is one of the most common bacteria on the planet.
Or from what I can remember is that the toxin is produced from the bacteria multiplying, (the spores) which cannot be heated to kill the toxin it is there for good. (I might be wrong here but that is what I read a while back.)
You only kill the bacteria that produce the toxin.

They failed to say that it requires moisture to grow not just a low oxygen environment.

We breathe in the botulism bacteria spores every day and our bodies take care of it just about as soon as it gets there.
Some times infants cant, their immune systems aren’t developed enough yet, ‘all the better reason to not have them or us live in a too sterile environment.

They said that companies use methods to prepare these infused oils in a manner that is not commonly available to the general public.
What in tar nation does that mean; you can’t pick it up in a convenience store.

You don’t see the government going out of its way to give folks the full story on canning any more because the big portion of the food suppliers in this country are owned by big business and they would loose a fortune if even 20% of us grew and put preserved our own food.
They would rather keep everything a big mystery so we can be can be dependant on them.

When I grew up we canned everything, green beans, carrots, potatoes tomatoes, fish, the list goes on.
We followed strict guidelines and my mom had one of the cleanest kitchens around.
Those two giant pressure cookers stayed hot all summer long.

Folks just need to know what they are doing and have a full understanding of bacteria and how it can grow and effect the food or oil they are preserving and what they can do to stop or kill it.

So if Craig or anyone else is heating up rosemary or peppers until all of the moisture is gone then I don’t think there is any chance of getting sick from it.
I would gladly consume anything he or anyone else did in this manner.
And feel a lot safer doing it than I would, eating from a restaurant or fast food joint.
Look at all of the recalls they have and all of the folks that get sick thinking they have a mild stomach virus when they really have a mild case of food poisoning.

Sorry for the rant and I most certainly did not intend to step on any ones toes that have a well justified concern for our health.

Maybe some one could ring up Carolyn on this matter I think she is an authority on microbiology the last I heard.

I’m sure not!

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the feedback.

Didn't get around to making the oil, as I got worried about the processes, so I drowned select herbs in vinegar and sealed them in jars. That stuff tastes great now and the vinegar seems to have killed any nasties as we're not getting sick
Old September 3, 2006   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Grub, check this site

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_....htm#Flavoring
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2006   #10
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Ta

Thanks Earl.
You saved me from almost certain death. I'll use the dehydrator or air dry the herbs in the pantry in future.