Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27, 2008   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Beef Hybrid parents?

I've been impressed with the plant vigor, disease resistance, and fruit set so far, and am wondering what the parents are for this hybrid. I did an internet search and found good info on Big Beef but not what varieties were used to make the hybrid. One of the websites said it was made using "old fashioned breeding techniques". Sounds pretty fancy.

The tomatoes have not started ripening yet (late transplant in the garden), so I have no idea if the flavor is good, but I do like that it's a strong plant with lots of tomatoes growing on it. And the disease resistance has been terrific. I also am growing 2 Better Boy plants and neither has been as impressive and I've even had to take a couple lower branches off due to disease.

It's resistant to quite a few diseases, as listed by one of the websites I just visited (forget which one):
Verticillium, Fusarium Race 1 & 2, Stemphylium, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Nematode, & Alternaria Stem Canker.

The reason I'm posting this here is I'm considering having a 'little fun' by trying to dehybridize this one. I do realize it'll be hard to get the results I'd like to get, as it could lose some of it's disease resistance and other good traits.

And I can't help be curious about which parent or parents gave Big Beef hybrid it's great disease resistance, plant vigor, and ability to produce so well. I'll be curious to finally taste one of these hybrid tomatoes to see if the flavor in any way compliments the other good traits.

Has anyone here tried dehybridizing this one?

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote