Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 25, 2011   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting maters early.....

So I am setting here with a few peppers started early but what about maters?No I am not crazy enough to start them now. But an early start here would around the last week in February or the first week in March. That gives me lots of time to plan. How about Thessaloníki? This was my favorite tomato from 09 and did very well for us. Al-Kuffa would be another 09 favorite that did very well even though I got it out late. What about a nice big slicer? How about Rose ? This big pink beefsteak was my best in it's class last year.There are others but this is three of my best of the best so I could add to this early list. What ya'all think?

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Based on my experience last year, that's still a bit early. I think we're in similar climates. Last year I started mid-March to set-out May 9th or so and ended up with monster seedlings and no great way to protect them from chilly evenings. If I had to do it over, I might try a few in pots that could be easily protected. But, in terms of the in-ground plants, I'm going to wait until Memorial Day.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #3
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

More or less targeting some time in May for plant out. But if they get to big I have some larger pots to put them up in so they don't get frost bit.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #4
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

So many people have said it... but it has FINALLY "clicked" for me; staggered plantings!!! So, maybe you could start a few the end of Feb, then a few more a week or two later, etc.

I can NOT believe how many times I saw that and it finally hit me that DUH, I could do that too!!! I guess I always kinda associated it with people who live in areas where they end up with two separate crops.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #5
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kev,
In 2008, I started 18 Cowlick's on January 26. Had to transplant them 4 times into larger containers before final transplant into gardens on Apr 25, may 2,3,
In 2009, I waited until Feb 25 to start seeds.
2010, I ran late and didn't start any seed until 16 April. 2010 was my worst year ever for tomatoes.
I've had vine ripened Cowlicks as early as 26 of June along with other large slicers, most other years by the 4th of July. Most others around here are just starting to get cherry tomatoes. So it pays to start early.
I'll never again be as late starting as I was last year.
Yes I did have to cover those early planted ones a few nights with frosts but still...worth the effort for early ripe tomatoes.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

I certainly can't give advice about your timing for plant out in TX, but there's nothing wrong with pushing the envelope with some of your plants.
Last year I planted all my seeds early for this area and was happy to see a frost-free 10-day forecast ~ May 4th, so I planted them all out. We got hit about a week later with a killing frost and ~ 50% were "goners".
Once I got over the initial shock, I re-sowed all the ones I lost plus extras because some of the "survivors" looked pretty bad. Only 4 weeks later, they were ready to go into the garden because they spent nearly the whole growing time outside in the sun during the day with some supplemental lighting for a few hours in the evening. Those plants nearly caught up and produced like crazy, yet people around here would have told me I was crazy to sow tomato seeds in mid-May. The early survivors produced tomatoes weeks sooner than I ever had before, but at the time I made a mental note that it really wasn't necessary for me to start all the tomatoes in March and use the grow lights for 2 months. Like I'm going to be able to wait.
I don't have a firm plan yet, but this thread is reminding me that staggering is a smart thing to do.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Kinda goes along with the staggering ideal but goes one step forward. Say you do start seed and the plants get too big too soon, you can always start clones of the plant. Last year I saw something odd coming off one of the box store plants delivery trucks. amongst the six packs was a tray that had bare rooted tomato plants , there was about 25 - 30 plants wrapped in brown paper with the moister crystals. I opened one up and they were cloned plants that were starting to root. the barcode on the tray was marked the same as the six packs. These where bonnie plants by the way. My guess is that they grow plants in their green house then clone them into more plants to sell as six packs, that is one reason the plants usually have a nice sized stalk ( thats all just IMHO and based on this pack).

Anyways to shorten this up. Tomato clones root easily and grow well. So if it gets too big for your indoor space just keep cloning the plants out.

Also the cloning would enable you to get many plants out of just one seedling so if you are limited for indoor starting space you could start one or two of a variety and clone to get many more later saving a lot of space.

Just some random thoughts on that.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
Tomato clones root easily and grow well. So if it gets too big for your indoor space just keep cloning the plants out.

Also the cloning would enable you to get many plants out of just one seedling so if you are limited for indoor starting space you could start one or two of a variety and clone to get many more later saving a lot of space.
Never would have thought of that! Thanks for sharing.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Kevin,

Seeing you are in Michigan I'd think you are from zone 4 or maybe zone 5. In NE VT near the Canadian Border I'm zone 3-4 and March 24 or thereabouts seems to be my magic seeding date for tomatoes and a week earlier for peppers and eggplants, so maybe you can adjust from what works here to your situation.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011   #10
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

It depends on how much work you want to do for your early tomatoes. If you can protect them, put them out in a cold frame for the warmer days in March, bring them back in at night you can have ripe fruit by mid May if you start now. A 3' tall cold frame and a hoop house did just that for me last year. Planted out in hoophouse (unheated) April 19th, first picking started towards the end of May.

It was a lot of work but picking ripe fruit when most have yet to plant yet, priceless!

You don't need to plant everything early, just the extra early ones. I got tired of hauling over 50 plants twice a day from March 1st til April 19th.

This year I'm only doing five of the earliest varieties from last year. I'll try to keep that at a managable ten plants or two of each!
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011   #11
camochef
Tomatovillian™

erlyberd,
I've been known to haul as many as 800 tomato plants in and out each day...not much fun! I have since gotten a little smarter, or lazier and have reduced those numbers significantly.
This year will see much less as gardens need to sit idle and I'll only be planting a couple rows elsewhere. Culling about 36 down to 26 if all goes well.
Good Luck and Happy Gardening!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011   #12
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Camochef, 800 plants in and out every night, thats down right crazy! LOL In the beginning its not really bad because smaller pots equals few trips, less weight, less back pain! But when the 1-3gal pots are needed to keep'em growing nicely it becomes more of a burden for sure. I also did sales plants but planted them much later. You? I culled a few off the list but added 20 more for this year for a total of under forty for sure. Its an addiction, but sure is fun."It pays to start them early" is an understatement! Think, melt snow!
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2011   #13
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Kevin, I sowed some tomato seed over the weekend. Just a few, mind you! I couldnt help myself! This is about three weeks earlier than usual..But I have a GH now, and will have to heat it or protect the tom's on cold days and nights when needed, but I like to push the envelope..

Years ago when I first started planting heirlooms from seed, I started in January..(I didnt know any better)..They were very tall and had to be transplanted a few times before being set out..Then I just covered them w/protection when needed..I got ripe tomatoes by first of July...It was worth the early start.

I dont think it will hurt to start a few tomatoes earlier if you have a way to protect/care for them..

Over the years, I have started hundreds/and hundreds of plants indoors, transplanted a few times and have carried them in and out of the house on warm sunny days, and it is a lot of work . It was a jungle of plants in my house.. but always worth it!! Now w/GH it will make it easier on me! And the hubby will actually get to sit at the table to eat..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote