Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 17, 2006   #1
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

Default Here are some Andrew Rahart in a 5 gal bucket

5 gal buckets work well for me....

I also use 9qt waste basket containers for my hydro setup with excellant results.

PLUS I grow a lot of corn in 10 gal totes too !

Hope these pics load FAST and easy. This is my first pic post here!

tony
tony_k_orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #2
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

I am bummed, I meant to post this in the container forum!

can someone delete this huge post ?

thanks!

Tony
Old February 18, 2006   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Moved to Growing in Containers :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tony-Looking very good-glad you are over here to contribute to the container section cause. What variety is in the photo growing in 5 gallon? What are you using for fert? I have seed for a couple new dwarves if you are interested-Tricot Czech and Beefsteak Early Dwarf. Let me know.
Old February 18, 2006   #5
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

tony... IMPRESSIVE!! Thanks for posting theose great pics. What variety of corn is that in the tote?
Old February 18, 2006   #6
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

Cottonpicker,

The corn is a variety known as "Early and Often" by Burpee.

It grew very well in the tote considering I had sooo many plants mashed so close to each other.

Only downside was the tote would blow over easily as the plants made it very top heavy.

A stake in the ground solved that lil problem in a flash!

Tony
Old February 18, 2006   #7
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

The matos in the 5 gal bucket are Andrew Raharts believe it or not ! They did an outstanding job in the 5 gal bucket.

Because I do hydro, thanks to the nematodes for forcing me in that direction, I use fert sparingly but do refrain from UREA containing ferts. Urea nitrogen requires soil borne bacterias to break down the urea and convert it to usable nitrogen. In hydro, because no soil, there aren't the proper bacteria. I have made it somewhat a point to not use urea and perhaps this is the key to my own personal success.

I have attached a pic of the fert I use that has ALL the major/minor nutes needed for good health. It can be bought almost anywhere here. I get mine at W-mart.

Please note the NO UREA in the upper right hand corner. The reason it is suggested for orchids is that there is no soil usually associated with orchids, hence nothing to supply or breakdown the urea.

I fert at about half strength just about but not every time I water the plants. It seems to work out well for me.

Thanks for the seed offer! I will pass on them for the moment. I am focusing heavily on grafting various matos onto various resistant rootstocks now. As much as I like hydro growing and in containers, its bugs me to death (no pun there) that the nematodes usually have won in the past. This season and next will determine if I have been able to overcome them with the grafting process. As you know, I still hate raw tomatos, therefor I have to find entertainment in growing them or overcoming obsticles as in the ground pests I have here.

I hope you have a rain check system as I will surely need some new varieties in the future to turn into 'frankenmato' with my grafting (if it all pans out)!

Hope this helps some.....

Old February 18, 2006   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Mmm. Tony. The tomatoes and corn look wonderful. There is nothing like fresh corn. I have never tried growing corn...Maybe this is the year to try.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #9
sweetwm007
Tomatovillian™

tony- very nice pictures. i always enjoy your projects and the craftsmanship on all you projects is superb.

keep us posted on your grafting. looks like it is going to be a bust this year for me trying to obtain grafting clips. ain't nothing easy here!
the best
william
sweetwm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #10
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

William,

how about trying to make your own clamps like I did when I first started out.

Tape works real well BUT it disturbs the joint when trying to remove it, I no longer use tape.

Check the pics and let your mind run wild.

Tony[/img]
Old February 19, 2006   #11
sweetwm007
Tomatovillian™

tony- thanks for the info.
william
sweetwm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #12
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pics and thanks for tips about fert. and tubing for grafting. farkee/MCP

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #13
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Tony,

Do you get good pollination with your corn with this method? They say for the home gardener to plant them in bunches like you do in order to get the needed pollination. How many ears do you get per plant? I grow Sweet G 90, and have three rows in a 4 X 12 bed, about 60 plants, and get about 60 ears. At least sometimes I do. One year the blackbirds swarmed in just as the corn was ready, and got it all! You should have seen that little corn patch!

Don
Old February 19, 2006   #14
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

Hi Don,

Did you ever notice what corn pollen tastes like? It tastes every bit like corn! What I would do is take a sheet of paper and tip a tassel over it and shake the pollen out daily and distribute it to the other plants one at a time. I started using a small brush but then simply started just pouring it or blowing it onto the other silk as I poured it. Needless to say, THIS is how I learned what the pollen tastes like.

In the little garden patch I have, I grow it close together and let nature take its own course now because she seems to do just as well, BUT when I do inspect the corn growth and do notice pollen starting, I will distribute it around a lil by hand too if I am not in a hurry.

I would say most of my ears are full and with the burpee variety mentioned above, I get approx 3 ears per stalk THEN I understand it is supposed to produce AGAIN ! I didn't know this and am still not sure I believe this is possible.

I am all out of that variety this season and have planted some more corn, and didn't really pay any attention to which went where in the garden. I have had very satisfying results so I dont get too concerned anymore as when FIRST trying to grow some.

Growing it in the container was not intentional, the container was slated for tomatoes.....

Glad I tried though, May have to get out there and start one up now again!

tony
Old February 22, 2006   #15
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Very impressive pic's with such small containers.
I might try to grow some corn this year in my 12 gallon tote!
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote