Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2019   #1
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Default Newby here with micro tomatoes

I can grow giant ones,but this is my first attempt at micros indoors, this plant is 22 days from planting seed and it has blossoms forming already, is this about average or not? Pinocchio is the variety, a sweet orange supposedly. Anybody out there that can speak to the taste of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190115_142136.jpg (383.0 KB, 170 views)
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looks great, I would say above average for development at that age. Are you feeding it world record food ?
Most micros will be “ ok” or “ pretty good” at best for flavour in my personal experience maybe 6/7/10 at best grown outdoors they taste better but still not renown for flavour.
Very pretty plant and that’s what they are supposed to be, cute mostly. But so nice to have indoors in winter regardless.
I’ve crossed a few to see what happens hoping to achieve a bit more flavour but mine are just F2 and none even ripe yet so will be quite some time before any hint of success or not
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Ah, biscuitridge, my tomato growing hero.
I started growing micros 2015, and a few commercial comparables 2016 with a fellow here
F2's for grow outs.

I start seed every four months, a 1010 tray. Cull for size, then flavor.
Four I've carried forward...three at F6 and an Angora leaf F3. I've made room for 36+ plants during
my best growing spring/summer season but winter grow is slow but still forward important.

The commercial hybrids I ditched from lack of flavor.

My winter grows are close to 60 days now showing buds... you are a pro grower getting that at 22.?!

Clearly I need your help,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuzzy winter 2018.jpg (302.0 KB, 144 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

My seed initially is from
Dfollette.
We all get busy with personal work loads and I have been busy 14-16 hour days and some
Saturdays since last June....still manage my indoor winter grows but mostly macorgreens.
Fast food salads. 10 day salad healthy food.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macrogreens 11.18.jpg (543.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg toms today jan 2019.jpg (634.5 KB, 147 views)
Old January 16, 2019   #5
JoParrott

OAKLEY, what's the secret to growing microgreens? I bought a complete outfit a few years ago and tried a few times with no luck. Last time I checked the seeds they were full of bugs! Tgrew the whole thing away! I'd like to try again though.
Old January 16, 2019   #6
PlainJane

Yes, I’m also interested in microgreens but have never tackled them. Yours look great.
Old January 16, 2019   #7
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Looks great, I would say above average for development at that age. Are you feeding it world record food ?
Most micros will be “ ok” or “ pretty good” at best for flavour in my personal experience maybe 6/7/10 at best grown outdoors they taste better but still not renown for flavour.
Very pretty plant and that’s what they are supposed to be, cute mostly. But so nice to have indoors in winter regardless.
I’ve crossed a few to see what happens hoping to achieve a bit more flavour but mine are just F2 and none even ripe yet so will be quite some time before any hint of success or not
Karen
Thanks KarenO just giving it a tiny pinch of my nuclear micropheres, symbiotic nutrients made in a proprietary atomic reactor. Lol
They sure are cute ,if there is such a thing as a cute tomato, thanks for the appraisal, I have no idea of what to expect. How are yours doing?
Old January 16, 2019   #8
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I started growing micros 2015, and a few commercial comparables 2016 with a fellow here
F2's for grow outs.

Four I've carried forward...three at F6 and an Angora leaf F3. I've made room for 36+ plants during
my best growing spring/summer season but winter grow is slow but still forward important.

My winter grows are close to 60 days now showing buds... you are a pro grower getting that at 22.?!

Thanks for the kind remarks, if I can be of any help just let me know!
Old January 19, 2019   #9
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I can grow giant ones,but this is my first attempt at micros indoors, this plant is 22 days from planting seed and it has blossoms forming already, is this about average or not? Pinocchio is the variety, a sweet orange supposedly. Anybody out there that can speak to the taste of it.
Great looking plant. I grew "Pinocchio Orange" last winter. Its leaves were smoother than yours, but it was a healthy plant. It stayed tiny and had small orange fruits. The taste was ok at best. I've not tasted a commercial micro with great flavor. That's something I'd like to change. Like Karen said, they're cute and fun to grow. We need to find some with real flavor.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2019   #10
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
F2's for grow outs.

They look good Oakley. What do you use for light - and how long each day?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2019   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

sorry, I'll try and get back and answer...working 14-16 hour dayssincevjuly...and
\my friggin space bar is sticking...grrr.haha.

Have the year round 365day salad greens nailed like no other...now two dozen co-workers
hooked...so sweet.

IAm on hiatus after the 29th of this month and will be more active ...perhaps.
Old February 20, 2019   #12
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Here is an update on how these micro tomatoes are progressing, they are loaded with fruit,pictures just don't show it very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190220_084950.jpg (269.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20190220_084707.jpg (331.0 KB, 64 views)
Old February 20, 2019   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looking really great!
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #14
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone else tried Vilma or Lille Lise? I thought their flavour was good last year. Both were red.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #15
Lotte
Tomatovillian™

Yes I've grown both, and you are right in both flavour and color.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote