Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 16, 2018   #1
reubenT
Tomatovillian™

Default best flavor list

I don't see a thread dedicated to flavor, and that's a big thing in tomatoes.

So what is our favorite most flavorful tomato?

I have many runnerups but I think my favorite was a Russian Black I had some years ago. It was just perfect balance of acid/sweet with lots of flavor. Next door to it was one named green apple, a green when ripe tomato that I thought was delicious. Just laying plans as to what I should try next spring.
reubenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

So much depends on the weather. My favorite tomato one year never seems to be the same the next year. Too much rain waters down flavor, and I think does so worst in yellow and orange varieties. A dry year can concentrate flavor, which I think best suits red varieties.

If you like green when ripe, Dwarf Jade Beauty has been delicious for me. Another dwarf also comes to mind as having a distinctive flavor, Uluru Ocre. It is an orange crossed with a dark. Many of my favorites have been dwarfs. Tasmanian Chocolate comes to mind as well.

Given the multitude of varieties and the vastness of the collective experience here, I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

You will find that your question leads to a large rabbit hole.... what may be your favorite, may be someone else's worst. Not necessarily that anyone is wrong, but what grows in different climates, under different fertilizers, under different water regimes, in differing soils, differing hours of sunlight, etc., etc.... makes the same tomato variety taste different to everyone. When a tomato is judged for flavor, it is usually grown under the conditions of the tester ... results are subjective.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #4
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I agree that taste does vary year to year even for the same grower on the same ground. With that said, I think that some varieties give you the best chance for the best taste.

Here's mine:

Black Cherry
Pink Princess
Sungold

Black Krim
Indian Stripe PL

George Detsikas
Red Barn
Olive Hill

Girl Girl's Weird Thing

Tasmanian Chocolate
Wild Spudleaf
Blazing Beauty
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A rabbit hole. Yes, taste is an individual thing. Growing conditions means a whole lot more than the variety. You will find that one variety tastes differently year-from year depending on the weather.

I'm learning that green house varieties are improving on taste grown in Mexico - that's a good thing.

To answer your question, grow some Japanese Pink Cherry if you like a little sweeter than acidic. If the seed sites don't offer it - let them know. We buy seeds because we want them and if they don't offer those seeds - don't buy from them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Despite the caveats already stated by others, Brandywine and Sungold always make our list. Wes has been a favorite for a few years. That Russian Tomato won it for us last year. KBX and Aunt Ruby's German Green are always welcome on our table. Opalka and Jaune Flamee often make our list. Russian Mini Yellow and Matt's Wild Cherry are hard to walk by without grabbing a handful. I could go on, but it's late...
Old December 17, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
You will find that your question leads to a large rabbit hole.... what may be your favorite, may be someone else's worst. Not necessarily that anyone is wrong, but what grows in different climates, under different fertilizers, under different water regimes, in differing soils, differing hours of sunlight, etc., etc.... makes the same tomato variety taste different to everyone. When a tomato is judged for flavor, it is usually grown under the conditions of the tester ... results are subjective.
BINGO!!!!!

In addition all of us have different taste buds on our collective tongues ,so take a perfectly well grown tomato variety and then cut up some slices and ask folks to rate the taste and the results will be all over the place.

taste buds

https://www.google.com/search?q=tast...&bih=815&dpr=1

So no,I'm one who will not make any suggestions.

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

These we've found to have a LOT of flavor and we like them:
Sweet with tart:

Sungold (of course)
Wild Tiger (little known green w/red streaks, saladette)
Dr. Carolyn (white with surprising amount of taste)

More of an "old fashioned" taste:
Post Office Spoonful
Hardin's Mini

Those are all cherry or salad tomatoes.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It is impossible to name the one and only variety.
But so far, the most flavorful ones have been...

Blacks in general; Black Krim, Prince, From Tula - all delicious

Pinks; Tarasenko Rozevyii, Soldacki, BrandyBoy..and and

Striped; GGWT, Black and Red Boar, Pink Tiger

Green; Green Zebra etc

Bi-Color & Yellow; Captain Lucky, Orange Strawberry etc..

All have their own delicious nuances and I hope to have at least some of them growing for me every season.

Taste is really an individual matter.
SunGold, the favorite of so many, ah well, it is all right and tastes good enough, but I can live without it quite happily

Last edited by NarnianGarden; December 17, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Having been involved with tomato tastings for the past ten years or more it has been the consensus that there is no consensus on which tastes the best. One year at the Mid-West Tomato Tasting there were almost eighty different varieties with maybe five or more duplications and with seventy people attending and voting, no single variety got more than four votes with each person voting for the top three best tasting.

As for me, I like blacks and hearts with my taste buds changing from one year to the next so that my favorite changes yearly.

The only one not changing is the cherry Black Cherry and I just don't like cherry tomatoes much.
Old December 17, 2018   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A gentleman who used to post here once said he thought that all tomatoes tasted wonderful. that if you didn't like the first taste, then put some Cajun spice mixture on it and it would join the ones that tasted wonderful. I have made good tasting tomatoes my goal in gardening. If I recommend one, then it passes the test for full flavor and a touch of sweetness, expecially in the finish.

But in the end, because we humans have our taste buds distributed on our tongues in a pattern that is uniquely our own and different from all other human, comparisons are impossible to compare. Add to that the fact that tomatoes taste differently due to the nutrients that are available to the plants in a given season, and we get different opinions of a variety we grow ourselves when compared from year to year.

Somewhere in this seasonal test, we find that there are a few tomatoes that please us every year and these become the list of ones we grow every year. I thought once that Craig Lehoullier and I had very similar tastes. But, over the years I found that, while the comparisons were close, there were subtle differences still apparent.

So, someone on a thread on this site had said that each of us should develop a list of the ones we find are the best tasting to each of us. I can't think of better advice.

I have maintained for years, no, decades that the best tasting was the one my father liked above all others. That was Ponderosa Pink. Today, I put seeds for that one in the mail to list it on the HeritageSeedMarket website. I did so, knowing that I have found one this past season that tasted better (this past season). And that is "Grandma Oliver's Chocolate". I say this knowing full well that at the end of next season that there will probably be another that has captured my tastebuds and is my new favorite (for that season).

For the originator of this thread, go to HeritageSeedMarket.com and look at the listings for the Muddy Bucket Farm. All of those have met my test for tasting good. Then look at every other website that markets tomatoes. Those folks also will tell you that they all taste good. So, my advice is for you to start a list of the ones you like and then ask for suggestions on others to try that might be added to your permanent list after you try them. I love all tomatoes and after a couple of thousand tries, I have found only one that I could call a "Spitter". The rest were perfectly good just as they came, or were made acceptable with the application of a little salt, a dash of sugar, or some Creole Seasoning.

Take care and good luck on developing your list.

And that's just the way it is.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I really am surprised that no one so far has picked up on my post above about taste buds and linked to an explanation of why they are probably THE main reason that there are disagreements on flavor..

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2018   #13
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Mr. Ted
That was a fabulous descrpition of taste based on preferences. Thank you.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #14
teyger
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tasted a lot of the available varieties yet, but so far my favorites are:

1 - Brandywine
2 - Mortgage Lifter
3 - Black Krim
4 - Lillian's Yellow
teyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Varieties that always taste good to me, every year are:

Cherokee Purple
Margaret Curtain
Little Lucky