Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 14, 2019   #16
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Time to start sowing for the 2019 season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190114_224233.jpg (314.2 KB, 95 views)

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #17
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

I started some herbs, onions, and fruit today!
Catnip, lemon balm, sage, Greek oregano, garlic chives, regular chives.
Walla Walla onions, Rossa di Milano onions, New York Early onions, bunching onions.
Passion fruit, artichokes, and Alpine strawberries.

Old January 14, 2019   #18
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

The self seeded Tumbling Tom tomato is no more. A couple weeks ago, my cat, Roxie jumped on top of the planter after a lady bug and broke it off right at the stem. It was just starting to set fruit too!

Fortunately I got my MMMM package this last weekend and there were some micro dwarfs in there! Thank you Tormato! It's always like opening a Christmas present to get those MMMM envelopes!

I'm starting a few super hot peppers and micro dwarf tomatoes tonight along with some lettuce (and Roxie is currently pouncing on the potting soil bag and making a huge mess. I swear it's like a herd of toddlers in here some days! )

Last edited by MissMoustache; January 14, 2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old January 14, 2019   #19
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=MissMoustache;724030]The self seeded Tumbling Tom tomato is no more. A couple weeks ago, my cat, Roxie jumped on top of the planter after a lady bug and broke it off right at the stem. It was just starting to set fruit too!

Beautiful kitty! Here's my Roxie. She just celebrated her 18th birthday not long ago!!
20180623_082308.jpg

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #20
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all goes well and U can be up and in the garden again. Glad to see your nice soil and garden bed. Wish FL had soil to plant inground..instead of making my own potting mixes each season. Having lots of tomatoes now and saving lots of seeds. Will start my beans and greens in a few weeks. Hope all goes well with you.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #21
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoustache View Post
I started some herbs, onions, and fruit today!
Catnip, lemon balm, sage, Greek oregano, garlic chives, regular chives.
Walla Walla onions, Rossa di Milano onions, New York Early onions, bunching onions.
Passion fruit, artichokes, and Alpine strawberries.
Quite a list! I’m interested in growing artichokes; have you grown them before?
Good luck with germination and hope to see more pictures soon!
Old January 14, 2019   #22
MdTNGrdner

Just catching this thread; it sounds as if you're well on your way to a great garden season! And sending you warm wishes for a year full of gardening therapy goodness. Loss is a part of living, but that's a hard one. My husband says that the extra special souls get to go right past in that way, and maybe that's true; but the ones that live through still have all questions and not many answers.
Old January 14, 2019   #23
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Finished for the night!
That's my houseplant rescue station. Those African violets were half dead when I was given them, now they're looking lush and healthy! In the bag are some cuttings and divisions I was given that need potting up this week. And one of my aloe plants and a "fuzzy lemon plant" are sitting there because they needed a little water. The red pot is an amaryllis that was beautiful and is now starting to die back.

Next to the houseplants are three small window boxes: I just sowed mesclun mix, peas for pea shoots, and spinach. With the salad recalls lately...I've been trying to keep up with homegrown salads. We also like sunflower shoots, radish and bean sprouts, and red Russian kale as baby leaves.

Under the lights on the right is the above tray of herbs and onions and fruit. On the left I decided to start some peppers that take forever to get going. They're on a heat mat that runs the same cycle as the lights.
I planted six cells of Utah tall 52/70 celery (I'll plant another six in a month and another six another month after that), four cells of Cayenne red, two cells each of yellow Cayenne, Habenero, Habanda, Chinese 5-color, Sweet Pickle, Trinadad Perfume, Datil Sweet, and Thai. One cell each of Rooster Spur, Red Blut Jokokia, Trinadad Morenga Scorpian, and Red Scotch Bonnet.

I can't find my saved Tabasco or Lemon Drop seeds so I ordered some from Baker Creek (free shipping in North America!)

I also planted two cells each of three micro dwarf tomatoes: Lille Lise, Pinocchio Orange, and Tiny Tim. I'm super excited to try these out this year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190115_030642.jpg (416.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190115_030623.jpg (394.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by MissMoustache; January 14, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 14, 2019   #24
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Aww GoodJoe your Roxie is so pretty!

My Roxie is 4 and still a handful. She's super curious and likes to climb the walls (literally) but loves to snuggle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190115_034852.jpg (156.2 KB, 82 views)

Old January 14, 2019   #25
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your kind words Gardenboy and MdTNGrdner.

Old January 14, 2019   #26
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

PlainJane this will be my third year growing them. The first year was 2015? (I'm not sure) I followed the instructions in the third comment on this article https://ask.extension.org/questions/296831
It worked perfectly! I was giving chokes away to family and friends.

In 2016 everything in my house was hit by a bad case of fungus gnats. Very few plants survived, the artichokes did not. I didn't grow artichokes in 2017.

Last year (2018) I didn't get seeds until March so I bought plants in May instead. They were pretty but never got any bigger than about two feet tall, no chokes.

I'm doing exactly what I did in 2015 (or 2014?)...starting three in mid January and three in mid February. From there they will go in a makeshift cold frame in late March/early April or my garage if it's below freezing. Then they will be planted out in early to mid May. Fingers crossed it works again! I'm growing a mixed packet from Botanical Interests that contains green and purple artichokes.

Last edited by MissMoustache; January 14, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old January 15, 2019   #27
PlainJane

Thank you for the link! I have some seed hanging around from a failed attempt 2 years ago; I may try again. Maybe they just couldn’t take the heat in a full sun exposure over a Florida summer.

Quote:
PlainJane this will be my third year growing them. The first year was 2015? (I'm not sure) I followed the instructions in the third comment on this article https://ask.extension.org/questions/296831
It worked perfectly! I was giving chokes away to family and friends.

In 2016 everything in my house was hit by a bad case of fungus gnats. Very few plants survived, the artichokes did not. I didn't grow artichokes in 2017.

Last year (2018) I didn't get seeds until March so I bought plants in May instead. They were pretty but never got any bigger than about two feet tall, no chokes.

I'm doing exactly what I did in 2015 (or 2014?)...starting three in mid January and three in mid February. From there they will go in a makeshift cold frame in late March/early April or my garage if it's below freezing. Then they will be planted out in early to mid May. Fingers crossed it works again! I'm growing a mixed packet from Botanical Interests that contains green and purple artichokes.
Old January 16, 2019   #28
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Still planting and planning! I sowed three more window boxes of salad ingredients: radishes (french breakfast or 18 day work under lights!), mixed lettuces, and swiss chard for baby leaves. I just realized I'm out of red Russian kale seeds and added a large packet to my shopping list. It's my personal favorite kale and I love it sowed close together for baby leaves in salads.

I sowed cat grass for my kitties. (A mix of wheat and oats) They love fresh greens and when I wash lettuce or other greens for myself I always give each of them a leaf or two to nibble on.

I bought this packet of herbs for 25 cents on clearance. I didn't realize the circles were so big! It comes with two paper disks 12 inches diameter preseeded. I have a couple bowl style planters I usually add pansies to in the spring so I added fresh potting mix and topped with vermiculite. I only planted one for now. Some fresh parsley, basil and cilantro will be very welcome this time of year! So under the lights the bowl goes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190116_182418.jpg (334.3 KB, 60 views)

Old January 19, 2019   #29
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Whoo hoo! I have plant babies! Pictures later.

Bunching onions, mesclun mix, and peas (for pea shoots) are all popping up! I see some in my onions and garlic chives too!

Old January 20, 2019   #30
PlainJane

Quote:
Whoo hoo! I have plant babies! Pictures later.

Bunching onions, mesclun mix, and peas (for pea shoots) are all popping up! I see some in my onions and garlic chives too!
Nice! Always a happy moment for all gardeners...