Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2017   #136
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Must be my eyes or the picture, but a couple appear to be slightly striped???
No Tiggers in this lot, Imp! I rushed into the kitchen to have a look- those are "not ripe yet" lines running down the sides of that tomato- she needs a few more days for a full expression of color!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #137
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh, okay, just saw the lines and wondered, maybe another mutation!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #138
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh, okay, just saw the lines and wondered, maybe another mutation!!
That's all we need, more variables!!!
Old July 23, 2017   #139
imp
Tomatovillian™

I know, I know!!
Old July 23, 2017   #140
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Please read just the first part on which languages are spoken and understood in Lebanon.

You said that Samir would come to tville to tell the TRUE story about what Omar said about the hill towns who said it was just called Big Pink.He didn't.

Please ask Samir to express Big Pink in French and also translate Majdel Maouch, , in both English and French. And also confirm that the Lebanese name for tomato is Bandura. Yes I have been spending time doing translation checks here and there.

Thanks in advance and please post his answers here in this thread.

Carolyn- I have been communicating with Samir via Facebook. Until he is allowed on the site, I have to quote directly from him. Regarding your questions from above, here are a few of his answers:

1. The correct Lebanese name for the tomato is banadoura.
2. The French translation of Big Pink is "Grande Rose"
3. The Lebanese translation of Big Pink is "Banadoura zahrieh", or "zahrieh kbeere".
4. Majdel Maouch, or Majd El Meouche, is the name of a town south of Beirut. I have attached a map below- Samir's home town is actually Karniss, just next to the black pin depicting Majdel Maouch.
5. According to Samir, in this area, there is only one tomato known to be very large and of the beefsteak type- it is typically referred to as "Mountains Tomato", or "Majdel Maouch", where it originated. He is not familiar with the term Big Pink.
6. He asked if you knew what area Omar Saab was from? It is possible that he is from the same area, and brought you seeds of MM. It is also possible that he is from another part of Lebanon, and had seeds from an altogether different variety.

At any rate, I find it highly fascinating to dig in and see where potential heritage facts can be discovered regarding Omar's Lebanese, and MM sounds like a nice tomato even if it is NOT one and the same.

I hope these facts help in some way!!

Darin
I have sent an em to Omar just today, he is back in the US as well as another person from Lebanon.

I was supposed to come back and try to remember what was in that post I lost, there was lots about Omar, and what he told me about himself etc. But the most important issue right now is this.

Neither Samir nor Omar (if he wants to) are going to get into Tville any time soon,and here's why.

I have a list of 3 persons who contacted me who were having trouble getting registered. One said he'd waited a month, another said he got a message back saying no new registrations,and the third person actually tried to e-mail Town Hall.

A 4th person was one I knew very well,he had a superb site based in MA, where he sold seeds.He decided it was time to retire, and did so to FL.I found him at another site and I gave him my em addy and we were so glad to be back in contact.

He said he had been a Tville member but his em addy here was one from his previous site so he went ahead and reregistered,and still nothing.

I emed Mischka with his personal addy,since i had told the first three I'd get back to them, but couldn't do that until I got some answers back from M.

No answers back yet and it's been quite a while,I was concerned about M since no new Town Hall folk in many weeks.

I've done all I can do for now.

Carolyn
Old July 23, 2017   #141
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

That is NOT good! Some of the best varieties and knowledge come from our international folks on here! I hope it's not a sign of things to come...

Thank you for contacting him.

Darin
Old July 23, 2017   #142
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
That is NOT good! Some of the best varieties and knowledge come from our international folks on here! I hope it's not a sign of things to come...

Thank you for contacting him.

Darin
Not good at all, and I now know four sources,mostly in Europe where they couldn't make a living to support their families,so they are out,probably permanently.

Two sold seeds,I paid for them gladly but I traded with two others,one dropped out,he also sold seeds to others,and same for another person as well.

So I treasure all the new ones I still get from those who are still active. One person really wanted to trade with me but when it got down to doing something she said that most she had on her list were no longer available and suggested we wait until next year.

I hope she knows how old I am but I haven't yet gotten to the point where I eat dessert first.

Carolyn
Old July 23, 2017   #143
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Not good at all, and I now know four sources,mostly in Europe where they couldn't make a living to support their families,so they are out,probably permanently.

Two sold seeds,I paid for them gladly but I traded with two others,one dropped out,he also sold seeds to others,and same for another person as well.

So I treasure all the new ones I still get from those who are still active. One person really wanted to trade with me but when it got down to doing something she said that most she had on her list were no longer available and suggested we wait until next year.

I hope she knows how old I am but I haven't yet gotten to the point where I eat dessert first.

Carolyn
Ut-oh, Carolyn, I sometimes eat dessert first, or at least that first bite, and I am younger than you!!!

Dessert can be the best part at times...or for an ice cream dinner, the only part!

Edit: Now you know why I do not have dessert often! Oddly, many sweets don't attract me as it did as a youngster, but I still have a fondness for pineapple upside down cake if the topping is thick, and almost black devil's food chocolate cake with buttercream icing. And, of course, with the heat here, some ice creams.

Last edited by imp; July 23, 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old July 25, 2017   #144
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dessert can be the best part at times...or for an ice cream dinner, the only part!
I've been known to do the ice cream dinner on occasion. It's all about calorie management. Why eat all those meat-and-potatoes calories when all you really want is the ice cream? Ditto for only eating the icing and leaving the cake behind, or eating just the middle out of an Oreo.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017   #145
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

DLH grown by my boss's boss's boss at the office. 1 lb, 2 oz. He says he has a fasciated double that is well over 2 lbs. and is not ripe yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moody 1 7-26-17.JPG (88.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Moody 2 7-26-17.JPG (71.0 KB, 151 views)
Old July 26, 2017   #146
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I can't wait for one of my own! Today we got a stake in the ground to supplement the cage DLH is outgrowing.

Nan
Old July 26, 2017   #147
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Oh, I can't wait for one of my own! Today we got a stake in the ground to supplement the cage DLH is outgrowing.

Nan
Awesome Nan! My lesson this year is- next year, do not pinch suckers and let this plant bush out in the cage! I cut mine at 12 feet, and it still collapsed. It was the most vigorous plant I've ever had!!!
Old August 17, 2017   #148
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Must be my eyes or the picture, but a couple appear to be slightly striped???
I've got a green beauty that has black pinstripes on it. It's a shame they'll disappear.

There's only one big one on the plant; the rest are about 4-8 oz. I guess she's going for quantity over size.

BTW, my hearts are pretty well-shaped; not many blunt.

Nan
Old August 18, 2017   #149
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few examples of DLH grown by our company's president. The example in the front middle is a double- I have not seen doubles on any of my DLH plants thus far. Three examples in front averaged 1.2 lbs. The other examples are Better Boys, and various peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moody DLH 8-18-17 1.jpg (305.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Moody DLH 8-18-17 2.jpg (252.6 KB, 101 views)
Old August 20, 2017   #150
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of ones with pretty stripes:
20170820_191432_001_resized.jpg

And here's my biggest, probably about 12 oz + :
20170820_191515_resized.jpg