Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 16, 2015   #31
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

It's a piece of a tarp. I'm not really sure if it's a good idea or not. The few strawberries we had last year got eaten by bugs or rotted before they were ripe.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #32
drew51
Tomatovillian™

It reminds me of black plastic, for here melon, and other plants that like warm soil may benefit. Gray mold (botrytis rot) maybe on the strawberries? Some cultivars are more resistant than others. I use captan fungicide before the plants have fruit. Works, but you must use acidic water to mix, or at least neutral, like bottled water, rain water, not tap. I have blueberries and have sulfuric acid on hand, what I use to acidify water. I also collect rain water. I don't spray the fruits. I apply early in the year before fruits form, every 7 days or after rain until fruit forms. Otherwise they are not worth growing here. Works for me!

Last edited by drew51; March 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #33
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Snails love strawberries, use the organic snail baits like Sluggo. If you see like scooped out areas in the strawberries, it's snails or slugs. they feed at night. Sluggo works! Food grade DE might too? I use a generic organic cheaper sluggo type product. I think it is phosphoric acid?
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2015   #34
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Well the transplanted strawberries appeared to have survived two full sun 80 degree days, some tonight i'll have the kids transplant the remaining 6 or so. I wasn't really surprised the leaves were a nice dark green already and they had impressive root systems.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote