Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 24, 2012   #1
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Low cost greenhouse

8'x8'x8' Built from 1/2" plywood and 2x4s resawn to 2x2. 3 layers of shelving. Will have poly cover. Material costs about $160
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greenhouse 2.jpg (245.0 KB, 480 views)
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #2
JoParrott

That is really neat !! Must have been a lot of work- I love the curves- want to see a photo after the poly is on.
Old February 24, 2012   #3
strax
Tomatovillian™

nice job, i wish i was that handy!

160 is the cost without the cover, correct?
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice.

It's great having a table saw isn't it.

I use mine all of the time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #5
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

Nicely done. Were you working from a set of plans or was this something you designed yourself? Also, is the top for ventilation?
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #6
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

That is sweet. I've been going back and forth on different designs for a while now, I'd love to see some more picutures of what you've done.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #7
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the comments

The design is my own for this greenhouse. The concept of building a plywood gothic arch is old. I think I first saw the idea in Mother Earth news about 35 years ago.

The plans are scribbles on my shop table. It is an easy build.

Layout a curve on a sheet of plywood or table or lumber. Drive nails on curve, as few as possible to bend plywood around. Rip 1/2 plywood into 1-1/2' x 8 foot strips. Place one piece on curve, add spacer blocks, set in other side. Glue and air nail, nail or screw all together.

I put 2 -1/2 trusses together in the shop and added shelving members. (5 trusses in 8' length) Wife and I set finished trusses on base.

The box on top is a vent. I will build air intake near bottom. (hinged frame)I thought it was a good idea at the time, but too much work. Next one I build for my sister will have a vent on the back wall near the top.

The $160 cost includes $20 worth of poly. I may use natural UV coroplast, that would add to the cost 7 sheets @ $16

I think this is a good design, particularly for Canada. It spills wind and sheds snow. Light, 2 persons can move it. Very strong. Easy to vent and heat.

I will plant tomatos on the north side in wicking rubbermaids on the ground and let them vine up the trusses. Lots of shelve space for my wife's flowers. Will hang planters from the top.

Tools I used - Table saw, band saw, skill saw, air brad nailer, screwgun

This structure could be built with a skill saw and hammer only.

Brad
Old February 24, 2012   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb View Post
The design is my own for this greenhouse. The concept of building a plywood gothic arch is old. I think I first saw the idea in Mother Earth news about 35 years ago.

The plans are scribbles on my shop table. It is an easy build.

Layout a curve on a sheet of plywood or table or lumber. Drive nails on curve, as few as possible to bend plywood around. Rip 1/2 plywood into 1-1/2' x 8 foot strips. Place one piece on curve, add spacer blocks, set in other side. Glue and air nail, nail or screw all together.

I put 2 -1/2 trusses together in the shop and added shelving members. (5 trusses in 8' length) Wife and I set finished trusses on base.

The box on top is a vent. I will build air intake near bottom. (hinged frame)I thought it was a good idea at the time, but too much work. Next one I build for my sister will have a vent on the back wall near the top.

The $160 cost includes $20 worth of poly. I may use natural UV coroplast, that would add to the cost 7 sheets @ $16

I think this is a good design, particularly for Canada. It spills wind and sheds snow. Light, 2 persons can move it. Very strong. Easy to vent and heat.

I will plant tomatos on the north side in wicking rubbermaids on the ground and let them vine up the trusses. Lots of shelve space for my wife's flowers. Will hang planters from the top.

Tools I used - Table saw, band saw, skill saw, air brad nailer, screwgun

This structure could be built with a skill saw and hammer only.

Brad
The layout method you speak of is called Lofting in the boat and ship building community.

Again good job
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #9
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Very nice

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #10
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the comment on lofting, Worth. I don't know how many tomato growers are boatbuilders also so I avoid useing terms like lofting, fairing, spilling, scantlings, abaft, abeam, lee ect.
Old February 24, 2012   #11
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark,

I should have some more pics to show soon. I have 1/2 day of work to finish, hopefully this week if it warms up here in Alberta.

Last edited by willyb; February 24, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old February 24, 2012   #12
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Impressive greenhouse!
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #13
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Excellent job! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished greenhouse.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #14
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Very nice indeed. I would love to get my hands on a plan for one of these, since something similar bought is abou $900.00. Great work.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #15
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Plans

Thanks for the comment. The weather is predicted to be good here this weekend, I hope to finish mine as I have plants waiting for a new home.

If you are serious about wanting to build one, I'll draw up a plan for you and upload it. They are easy to build.