Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 19, 2010   #31
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Is it the same in Sweden?
Remy
I am not sure, I think they are a bit cheaper in Sweden, but even more expensive in Norway.
I know a lot of people in Copenhagen drive to Malmö to shop (there is a bridge between Copenhagen and Malmö in Sweden), so it must be cheaper in Sweden?
Maybe the new member Linda/Rainingroses from Sweden can give a better answer

Last edited by DanishGardener; May 19, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2010   #32
Cam3xl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
I may have to reevaluate my view on Tomatofest, I can see already that two of the varieties i ordered from them are wrong - Amana Orange and Amish Red.
Amana Orange are setting paste/plum type fruits, and Amish Red is setting globe shaped fruits...

I only ordered like 10 or 12 varieties from them, so this is already pretty bad!
I got the Amana Orange I ordered, but my San Marzano turned out to be Amana as well. Maybe our packets got mixed up? LOL!
Cam3xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2010   #33
Cam3xl
Tomatovillian™

My experience with Tomato Fest has been relatively good. I ordered 6 different varieties and all six germinated. My lack of seed starting experience killed several of my seedlings so I was unable to get any of my snow whites to fruit nor any of the boondocks. But the amana oranges, black cherry and isis candy cherry all came out fine. What had been labeled san marzano turned out to be more amana's, but as a new-bee I just figured that would periodically happen with so many seeds and varieties being handled. Did not know it was such a violation, just thought it was part of the game. If there is some way to guarantee type, I would love to hear it. It was frustrating to have NO paste tomato this year. Especially when I ordered one.

Outside of that, Gary and crew were very responsive and did send extra packs. The tomatoes that grew were plentiful, flavorful and healthy. I think my whole order was under $20 and I received 7 packs of seed and produced 6 plants well over 6 ft. tall that were disease free and VERY productive. Hard for me to call that expensive. But again I have no point of refrence. I know what just 3lbs. of Heirloom tomatoes would have cost me at the farmers market!!!! Makes it seem like a bargain to me.
Old September 28, 2010   #34
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

It seems that Gary and company are very nice, and courteous, and will try to make good on their mistakes.

It ALSO seems that they make a lot of mistakes though. At their prices, I will not be ordering from them next year.

There are many sources with a higher batting average and lower prices. I strongly suggest Remy's Sample Seed Shop...she's a fellow Tomatovillian. She and her store are awesome and at 1$ per pack for a more reasonable amount of seeds/more attention to detail/more love, I don't see how you could go wrong.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2010   #35
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomdaddy View Post
It seems that Gary and company are very nice, and courteous, and will try to make good on their mistakes.

It ALSO seems that they make a lot of mistakes though. At their prices, I will not be ordering from them next year.

There are many sources with a higher batting average and lower prices. I strongly suggest Remy's Sample Seed Shop...she's a fellow Tomatovillian. She and her store are awesome and at 1$ per pack for a more reasonable amount of seeds/more attention to detail/more love, I don't see how you could go wrong.
I second that Remy's Sample Seed Shop is my first stop, just got my second order each time I have ordered I get a email saying it was shipped the next day and usually get my seeds in 3-4 days. The shipping is very reasonable as well. Also IMHO it is one of the easiest and best organized seed websites and she keeps it up to date with soon to come varieties.

I hate hyped up variety descriptions amazingly on some sites every variety is the greatest and they all seem to be rare and so hard to find. At the seed shop there is integrity in the descriptions which I appreciate.

A lot of the other vender's in the seed sources section on this site also have integrity in their descriptions, I just have not had a chance to order from them just yet.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2010   #36
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

What gets me, is 6 vendors say DTM 70-75 days, and ONE vendor says 60 days...he must have a high tech propagating machine! (Or never grew them.)
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2011   #37
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

I was a bit surpirised after reading this thread but I guess we all have different experiences.

I started with Tomatofest about three years ago and have had really good luck so far. All the seeds have turned out to be what they were supposed to be.
Last year's germination rate was practically perfect(I started using the Bio Dome last year).
The year before when I was using little dirt pods, I had dificulty with only one variety.
I did email to notify them and Gary answered back almost immediately. He said he was going to send out replacements but I said that wasn't necessary.
I was very satisfied with the other seeds.

He's always shipped out right away. I can honestly say I have never had to wait more than a week or so to get the seeds.

I did get an email from Tomatofest in December saying they were cutting back on varieties and putting a lot of seeds on sale. I took advantage of that sale and loaded up.

I do agree. It's not the cheapest place to buy seeds.
I have branched out and tried a couple of other companies this year but 90% still come from Tomatofest.
As mentioned above, with the Dome I really do get about 100% germination from his seeds.

On a side note, I'm not wild about paying $7-$8 from different companies for them to put a few packets of seeds in an business envelope with a sliver of bubble wrap and then ship the item with a couple of first class stamps.
I've sold over 20,000 items on eBay and know a bit about shipping.
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #38
Cam3xl
Tomatovillian™

Default still pretty good

$26 dollars for 7 packs of seeds including shipping. Only one pack had less than 28 seeds many had 40+. Ordered on a monday, seeds were in my mailbox on thursday. My starting skills have sharpened, so I'll keep you guys posted on germination and trueness of fruit. Every year I spend about $85 on seeds and refill supplies for my vegetable garden and create over 100 plants. I give away 50 and plant 50 and feed my family and a few others all summer and fall.

Now I know some of you are growing 25+ varieties of tomatoes and $3.95 a pack gets expensive, but for the scale I'm working on, I can't complain.
Old February 27, 2011   #39
tedln

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere Gary Ibsen sold TomatoFest. I don't know if he is still involved in the company or not.

I had intended to test some of his seed last year, but it was such a lousy growing season none of my seed from any company performed well.

I ordered about thirty varieties a couple of weeks ago from three different vendors, Glecklers, TGS, and TomatoFest. My favorite is Glecklers. Their sales methods and delivery just seem more personal. I like the fact that their seed is shipped in small, transparent, glasene envelopes with a variety label on each. It is simply easy to look at each envelope and tell how much seed I have.

TGS has been a very consistent vendor for me. I've probably spent $75.00 on seed from them in the last few months. They simply seem reliable and honest. I have received a few varieties from TGS that didn't germinate on first attempt, but after using an enhanced germination technique on a second try, they did germinate.

While I have no concern about the quality of the TomatoFest products, I am really turned off by the hyperbole used to describe each variety. I get the feeling that each variety should have a flashing, neon light over the description. Every variety is the best, the earliest, the most tasty, the most beautiful, the most productive last year. It seems they have never sold seed for a spitter tomato and I know that isn't true.

I'm growing some "Gary Ibsen's Gold" this year because I received the seed as a bonus pack last year. I cringe a little when I tell people I am growing it and I may be reluctant to report on it later because the name seems a little over the top. I would be more comfortable with it if it was named simply Ibsens Gold or GI's Gold. You will not hear anything about it from me unless it is the best, the earliest, the largest, and the most productive in my garden.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; February 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old February 28, 2011   #40
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere Gary Ibsen sold TomatoFest. I don't know if he is still involved in the company or not.
You're definitely going to want to get confirmation on that. Mr. Ibsen has a Google Alert on any mention of tomatofest.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #41
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
You're definitely going to want to get confirmation on that. Mr. Ibsen has a Google Alert on any mention of tomatofest.
I was probably wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. The way google search responses are phrased, It may have only read "TOMATOFEST SOLD out of early seed".

Ted
Old July 4, 2011   #42
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Tomato Fest early this year, and was quite pleased with the results.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #43
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Gary Ibsen stopped doing the TomatoFest festival 2 years ago. He still retains rights to the name, and he uses it selling seeds (at tomatofest.com)
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #44
Structure
Tomatovillian™

Stay away from their Yasha Yugoslavian seeds. My packet has consistently produced large PL plants with small beefsteak fruit. No idea what it really is, but Yasha Yugoslavian (RL heart) it ain't.
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #45
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structure View Post
Stay away from their Yasha Yugoslavian seeds. My packet has consistently produced large PL plants with small beefsteak fruit. No idea what it really is, but Yasha Yugoslavian (RL heart) it ain't.
My memory is no longer perfect, ahem, but I think quite a few years ago someone reported the same thing and I let Gary know about it and I may have even sent him seeds for it, but can't be sure.

Yasha Crnkovic, a former colleague, gave me seeds for two varieties and I named one Crnkovic Yugoslavian and the heart one Yasha Yugoslavian.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ha_Yugoslavian

I see that Tania doesn't list Tomatofest for this variety in 2011 but she and Marianne Jones are offering it and since Marianne usually gets her varieties via the SSE YEarbook she probably also has the right one, but I didn't check her website to confirm that.