Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 8, 2012   #61
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Scott,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

No, mine are not like that. I would suggest getting in touch with a few of the big companies and asking around. I would also ask Carolyn directly as she seems to be the best source of this type of information. Maybe start a new thread called "Rutgers Strains". Let me know what you find out, if you will.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, Red Baron already started a thread about this in the Legacy Forum on Sept. 27th:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25089

Carolyn
Old November 8, 2012   #62
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default the campbell's seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post

Cambells Soup corporation was sending out for free old Rutgers seeds with a low germination rate that were in storage as a part of a charity community project a couple years ago, (Future Farmers of America) but I can't find anything now. Likely the program was terminated or isn't sending free seeds anymore. It was called "Grow your own Soup" if I remember correctly.
Hey, just a quick note about the Campbell's seeds - those were not Rutgers. They were a blocky paste type tomato named Campbell CXD 179.

I grew a lot of them out with my older students at camp this summer as part of some experiments with seed germination techniques. I still have a ton of the seeds, LOL

But I assure you they are nothing like a Rutgers
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #63
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Hey, just a quick note about the Campbell's seeds - those were not Rutgers. They were a blocky paste type tomato named Campbell CXD 179.

I grew a lot of them out with my older students at camp this summer as part of some experiments with seed germination techniques. I still have a ton of the seeds, LOL

But I assure you they are nothing like a Rutgers
I didn't grow them myself, just heard about it a few years ago. Rumor was they were an old Rutgers variety. But since you grew them you should know. I do know for a fact Cambells used to have their own strain of Rutgers. So the rumor seemed to be plausible. At this stage I am chasing down any rumor I can.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #64
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Anyway - Ohio Heirloom seeds-- I just bought some more pink honey seeds... SUPER fast shipping. I highly recommend Ohio Heirloom seeds. I bought the seeds for my neighbor who loves them... I grew them out this past season but I never bagged any blossoms so I didn't bother saving seed. Plus I like to buy seeds from good T-Ville vendors.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2012   #65
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Anyway - Ohio Heirloom seeds-- I just bought some more pink honey seeds... SUPER fast shipping. I highly recommend Ohio Heirloom seeds. I bought the seeds for my neighbor who loves them... I grew them out this past season but I never bagged any blossoms so I didn't bother saving seed. Plus I like to buy seeds from good T-Ville vendors.
Thank you for the kind words, Jennifer!

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2012   #66
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike!

Let me make some correction in Russion names of some varieties I've got in my seed colletion as well:

Amurskij Tigr- "Amur Tiger"- striped cherry variety = Amurskiy Tigr
Pertsewidnij Schelmij- “Gold Pepper-Shaped”- Super Sweet! = Pertsevidnyi Zheltyi
Sacharnaja Silwa Malinowaja- “Raspberry-Colored Sugarplum” = Sakharnaya Sliva Malinovaya

Amurskiy Tigr is actually a large cherry to globe salad type.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2012   #67
clara
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, I think there are different ways (sometimes) to transcribe Cyrillic letters into Latin ones.

For example "Амурский Тигр": The last 2 characters can be "iy" or "ij" (my humble memories of learning Russian language many years ago).

Similar problems transcribing a "B" = "v" or "w". "Ж" is always a "sch" in German because of the very similar pronunciation. Same reason for German "ch", therefore "Sacharnaja".

For the pepper-shaped, please have a look at the original packet:

http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/eng/index.php?GID=5836

Is it possible that the different names for apparently the same variety is caused by the difference between Russian and Ukrainian language?

Andrey, you are the native speaker/writer, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a lot for me avoiding future mistakes! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2012   #68
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post

Unfortunately my 2013 catalog message is way down the list of threads. I hope people see it rather than this one (2012).

I'm merging the two threads and will "stick" it, so that it stays on the first page of this forum.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012   #69
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Hi Mike!

Let me make some correction in Russion names of some varieties I've got in my seed colletion as well:

Amurskij Tigr- "Amur Tiger"- striped cherry variety = Amurskiy Tigr
Pertsewidnij Schelmij- “Gold Pepper-Shaped”- Super Sweet! = Pertsevidnyi Zheltyi
Sacharnaja Silwa Malinowaja- “Raspberry-Colored Sugarplum” = Sakharnaya Sliva Malinovaya

Amurskiy Tigr is actually a large cherry to globe salad type.
Andrey,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help with the spellings. My wife translated each into Russian for me, but I decided to stay with the original spellings as passed on to me. I plan on having my neighbor, who is from Poland, take a look at them too. I'm curious to see what she thinks.

As Clara mentions below, there seem to be several ways of transcribing the Cyrillic into Latin. If you think I should change them please let me know.

My "Amur Tigers" were all regular cherry-sized. I didn't have any that exceeded the size of a ping pong ball.

I appreciate your help!
Mike
Old November 16, 2012   #70
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Andrey, I think there are different ways (sometimes) to transcribe Cyrillic letters into Latin ones.

For example "Амурский Тигр": The last 2 characters can be "iy" or "ij" (my humble memories of learning Russian language many years ago).

Similar problems transcribing a "B" = "v" or "w". "Ж" is always a "sch" in German because of the very similar pronunciation. Same reason for German "ch", therefore "Sacharnaja".

Is it possible that the different names for apparently the same variety is caused by the difference between Russian and Ukrainian language?

Andrey, you are the native speaker/writer, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a lot for me avoiding future mistakes! clara

Thank you, Clara. That is very interesting. You see, growing tomatoes is good for one's language skills too!
Old November 16, 2012   #71
clara
Tomatovillian™

You're right, Mike, handling Russian/Ukrainian seed packets made my brain re-emerge very old memories... clara
Old November 28, 2012   #72
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Clara,

actually I'm always transcribe from Russian into English and not into Latin or German

German is so different in pronunciation in compare to English and Germans use different mix of their letters to get English or Russian spelling letter

And Latin is a dead language for me even it is still popular among Botanists and Doctors

The pepper-shaped tomato variety is Pertsevidnyi Zheltyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old November 28, 2012   #73
clara
Tomatovillian™

Excuse me, Andrey, I should have said "Cyrillic characters into Latin characters" - I did not mean Latin language. (Btw, there's an incredible revival of Latin language at German schools!)

If you have a minute, please have a look at the link above. The word "Жёлтый" (in German we would transcribe it "Scheltij"), but the corresponding word ON the package for me is "Schelmij" - one character is different between the written description and the package. I'd really like to know an explanation if possible. Thanks a lot for taking the time! clara
Old November 30, 2012   #74
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

No problem, Clara.

You just took one letter "т" in this Russian word as English small written letter "m", because this is the way it is written on the package, but we also write "т" as "m" in Russian writing language Желтый (Zheltyi) is "Yellow' in English.
And I really advise you not to use German for transcribing Russian variety names, because it is always different this way. "Sch" sounds other way than "Ж" in Russian or "Zh" in English. "Sch" = "Ш" (Rus) = "Sh" (Eng). I don't remember if "Ж" is existed in German unfortunately...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old November 30, 2012   #75
clara
Tomatovillian™

Thanks a lot, Andrey! Now I understand why you use the "t" in "Желтый" and not the "m".

As I am German, I use what I have learned for transcription (many, many years ago) and you're right, there are some differences in transcribing Cyrillic characters into German or English.

A "Ж" has no absolutely corresponding phoneme in German language, but is used in words deriving from foreign languages such as "Garage" (the second "g") or "Journal" (the "J"). "Z" in German is always a hard, surd phoneme, therefore I would never transcribe" Желтый" with a "Zh", but on English speaking forums (fora?) I'll so in the future. Thanks again! clara

Tags
mikeinohio , ohio heirloom seeds , rare tomato seeds